Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 36,358 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I need some input about our move to Georgia this July2007. I will most likely transfer within my company, since they have a office in Smyrna. My husband has potential job offers in Lithonia and Atlanta. We also have 2 1/2 year old twins. We love Lawrenceville, Gwinette County and want to buy a home there,but the commute for me to work is killer, so I am told. We are looking for somewhere in between, with reasonable housing, good schools and the commute would not be too bad for both of us. Any suggestions??????

I have researched school info stating that our children would not start school until they are 4years old. That is correct? Then I guess I would be looking into good childcare for them. I do not want a long commute to work and I need to be close to the kids. Someone also reccommended having someone come to our home and take care of them. How do I go about researching this information for the Georgia area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 11,750 times
Hi Natcam, and let me be one of the first to welcome you to Atlanta. The Gwinnett area is a great area for bringing up children, our schools offer some of the best education in the state. Although, you are correct about the commute. I have lived in Gwinnett for the last 12 years and love it here but the traffic is very congested. Although, anywhere you go now in Atlanta the traffic is bad. You mention that your husband may be working in Atlanta or Lithonia. Lithoina is out I-20 towards Conyers. Conyers is a growing community, it has a new mall and lots of shops. It also has many new communities under development.

Last edited by jxu66; 03-10-2007 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: remove advertisement info

Old 03-10-2007, 08:11 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
I would encourage your husband to actively persue the job that is in Atlanta rather than Lithonia. If you are working in Smyrna and he in Lithonia... then either one of you is going to have a terrible commute or both of you are. They are pretty far from each other with lots of traffic in between.

Both Smyna and Mableton get new, large, K-8 charter schools next year. In addition to offering a good opportunity for students, it is hoped that the competition will force the area schools to improve.

You might want to consider Smyrna or if your budget allows, Buckhead. But if your husband is working in Lithonia, I don't have much advice for you.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,709 times
Default Relo from NJ

If you husband has a choice, I would suggest he take the job in Atlanta, especially IF you are working in Smyrna. You could buy a house in the Smyrna area, Cobb County, which has pretty good schools, and the traffic wouldn't be too bad for either one of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta