Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,955 times

Advertisements

im a 20 year old male that got into some trouble im really trying to start fresh stay away from bad influences that i used to hang out with and find a job but im having trouble. its a requierment of my probation and i really want to be here for my son growing up. everyone makes mistaken i just need someone who is willing to give me a chance and believe in me can anyone please help me?

thank you for your time greater atlanta,
contact me at,
removed - personal contacts should not be posted - use the site's DM feature

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-26-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
Army
Drive trucks
Barber
Construction
Start a business

Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Try fast food, cooking things of that nature. Also ask your PO about agencies that help ex-offenders.

I know fast food is not appealing but it is a job and a start. You are only 20 so you will have your whole life to move up. I worked in fast food when I was your age and make substantially more now at a very good mid-sized corporation with a title. You will need education and you need employment to help care for your child while you gain that education and may not be eligible for financial aid due to your conviction if it was a certain type so you may need to finance it yourself.

I also suggest truck driving. My dad is an ex-felon, was a felon when he was your age. He is in his 50s now and got into trouble much longer than you were alive. He didn't shape up until his thirties. Since then he has had good paying jobs and is open and honest about what led to his criminal behavior as a young adult. He has a CDL and made over 60K driving trucks for years. He now owns two cabs and so works for himself.

Just wanted to send you out some support and say you can turn it around. People will judge you, but people judge everyone. Do your best and keep moving in a positive direction.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:27 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
This is far from glamorous but I was talking to a guy at the carwash the other day and he said they hired folks in your situation.

Not what you want to make career out of it but it would at least be a job and might give you a chance to get reestablished. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I always wanted to work for the carnival. I think they have pretty liberal hiring standards, plus you would probably learn some interesting skills (tech skills if you deal with ride assembly/disassembly, people skills if you work in games, etc.)

If you have a child the idea of travel may not be that appealing to you, but local companies like Peachtree Rides I think mainly only go around Georgia.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Get your probation office to give you a list of the local companies that will hire felons. Also, talk to your local job service and ask if there are any re-entry programs. Also, look on the Department of Labor ( DOL) website. Look up your state, and follow the menus looking for apprentice programs that may be in your area. Sometimes the DOL has grants and openings for really good career jobs, HVAC, Sheet Metal, Welding. Don't be afraid to call and ask someone at your state DOL office if you see any apprentice programs. Share with them as you have shared on here, that you really want to do things right. People can have compassion, that you'd never expect sometimes.
Good luck Young Man, You are making the right choice!! The Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration

http://www.doleta.gov/jobseekers/exp_credentials.cfm

RE-entry programs http://www.doleta.gov/RExO/PDF/Priso..._Resources.pdf
Reintegration of Ex-Offenders : a grant based program
Call the Department Of Labor 800 phone numbers at the bottom of the webpage, or ask in person for any information about re-entry programs, or federal bond programs. Federal bond programs are offered to employers that give you a chance, the Fed Gov bonds you for 6 mths. Each state has their own rules and criteria, you must ask to find out about your state, unless you can find it on this website somewhere. I believe it is called "Second Chance" Bond program. I heard about it when I called the 800 numbers for Dept. of Labor years ago. You have to be your own advocate in lots of research, and asking questions. It helps. Good luck on your job search. Make sure the PO sees you are trying, keep a list of all the places you apply, and do call backs. Save that list. Hope it all helps. My son has been thru this, it isn't easy, but don't give up.

Last edited by JanND; 01-25-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 AM

133 posts, read 192,376 times
Do you have enough time to learn a trade? Maybe going into business for yourself will be a good move. Plumbing, painting, barbering , construction. Honestly its not going to be easy finding gainful employment due to your record until at least 7 to ten years from the time of the end of your supervision due to background checks. Just stay positive and Stay out of trouble and things will get better.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
If you are looking for work, try local network job hunting groups in your area of town. They are usually held at churches. You could find support there by others in the same situation. You can simply google "looking for work networking atlanta jobs church" or something similar to that and locate some groups. Call first to make sure they meet and go. Look your best and bring a resume or business card if you can with your contact info to the gatherings.

You probably need more guidance than this suggestion, but you never know who you might meet. The key is to finding a job: the more people you talk to about finding work the better. I would be cautious about talking about your troubled background until you get to know the people better, but let them know what type of work you want to do. Or they could give you some great suggestions if you are unsure. You could luck out a job at a very small mom-and-pop type of company. No matter what you want to do, making contacts is key.

I think for big rig truck driving you have to be at least 21 and have a clean MVR (driving record). If your background has any DUI, drug conviction or something like that in it, forget about a driving job for a long time. I think the other suggestions here for a trade are good ideas. Best of luck.

Last edited by SW30303; 01-26-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 02:27 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Try Wal-Mart.. Also it just might be a case of having to relocate. Some states are more lenient than others when it comes to past history. Also as mentioned find out what if any state licenses you have available to you... Many state licenses are transferable to other states by just paying a fee..

Licenses such a barber, plumber, etc.. Then again in GA you may be able to start a lawn service or cleaning service or something like that.. Now here's another consideration.. Clean yourself up and find a good woman. A man who is really focused in life can do well with a good woman by his side but you and she must be mentally stable and going in the same direction.

Your 20 years old with a felony so for the rest of your life you basically have to stay on the straight and narrow or else you will be doing time again and you know how the state of GA is.. Good luck and do what you have to within legal bounds no matter how hard things might get..

One more thing don't forget your local Waffle House to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta