Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM

416 posts, read 1,089,991 times

Advertisements

I have been told that Marietta is great, but stay out of the Osborne school district.
Is it that bad? Or is it "bad" by suburban standards, and not nearly as bad as inner city ghetto schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I have been told that Marietta is great, but stay out of the Osborne school district.
Is it that bad? Or is it "bad" by suburban standards, and not nearly as bad as inner city ghetto schools.
Exactly your final statement. Osborne has many good attributes, but has the disadvantage of perception being a part of an excellent suburban school system that has (arguably) some of the finest public schools in the state. To be on the low end of the totem pole in Cobb could still be an otherwise fine school in other districts.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 17,901 times
Osbourne is pretty bad from what I understand. Their CRT scorces are some of the lowest in Atlanta. I don't have kids but I if I did I would send my kids to a private school instead of that hovel. The area that feeds that school is "working class".

Most of the kids are on subsided lunches and most of the parents there don't have a college eduaction. Osbourne has not met AYP in the past couple of years.

I am African American(just thought I'd throw that in. Just in case the race card comes up) myself and I think education is very important. So if you care about your child's education take advantage of the voucher program that is offered there. This will allow you to send your child to a better school like Walton.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmarsh99 View Post
So if you care about your child's education take advantage of the voucher program that is offered there. This will allow you to send your child to a better school like Walton.
How does that program work?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I wouldn't call Marietta great. I think it has been in a slow decline. I guess the better schools in Cobb are in the north and east.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I wouldn't call Marietta great. I think it has been in a slow decline. I guess the better schools in Cobb are in the north and east.
Better high schools, anyway. I've heard good things about some of the elementary schools in southeast Cobb (Nickajack, etc.), but I suspect that comes from the fact that younger families with money (and who are involved with their kids) have moved into the area.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
It is not a voucher program, but a transfer program when schools fail to meet AYP. But the state has applied to the Federal government for a waiver of many of the NCLB requirements, and you can't count on transfers being available moving forward.

If you are local, go visit the school and check it out for yourself.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
If you are looking at schools in South Cobb - Campbell would be the better choice. I believe Nickajack feeds Cambell via Cambell Middle.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
"Marietta" can be quite a broad definition. All of the tony east Cobb neighborhoods save for a tiny sliver in the extreme northeast of Cobb County have a Marietta mailing address. Every north and east school you mention has a Marietta mailing address. Would not call that "slow decline." Osborne, being a Cobb County system school is not in Marietta city limits either.

Waiting for Aries to chime in on the subject. Have read a great article in the last few years of the principal that came into Osborne to turn it around and other positive happenings. Osborne draws a large number of transient type students, that usually brings numbers down. The neighborhoods are more blue collar, have seen better days. It is at the bottom of the heap of Cobb high schools, but there are still positive things happening there.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
"Marietta" can be quite a broad definition. All of the tony east Cobb neighborhoods save for a tiny sliver in the extreme northeast of Cobb County have a Marietta mailing address. Every north and east school you mention has a Marietta mailing address. Would not call that "slow decline." Osborne, being a Cobb County system school is not in Marietta city limits either,
The context is high schools. So by "Marietta" I mean Marietta High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta