Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,525,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Doesn't bother me. They are in the game of making money and that will help them.
co sign
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,433,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishere View Post
Just to play devil's advocate:

To those who say US does not have an 'official' language - Just because I write down on a piece of paper that I am 6' 4", does not make it so. Just because someone in Washington writes down on a piece of paper that "English is now the official US language", or fails to do so, does not change the statistical reality of how many people use English as the normal conducting business language in this country - it would only make it 'technically legally' the official language.

In our legal system in this country there is a doctrine know as "de facto". In situations where something is not 'officially' enacted as being true, if circumstances are so clear and prevailing that it is true, that makes it the same as being "in fact" (de facto) true. Nobody 'actually' put to paper that English is the 'official' language. But considering that:

A) The constitution of this country was written in English
B) The Bill of Rights of the country was written in English
C) Every bill, law, statute, and executive order of the President..... English
D) All public and private sector business transaction considered legal when in... English
E) The exceeding majority of ALL business in this country being conducted in... English
F) Ask anyone in the world what language is used in the US and the answer is: English

I think it would be safe to say that the US does have a "de facto" official language. And that language would be: .... {don't make me say it}.

Maybe 500 years ago, when Chris first came over, maybe there was some wriggle room as to what will be the official language. But I think after 500 years, by now it's pretty clear what is the dominant language in this country.

{OK, ok... make me say it: English}

(With that said, I don't have a problem with multilingualism. I speak a couple of languages myself I digress.)

AMEN!!! Very well said. Great points. No one can refute these facts, and of course some will try to down play your great points.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,689,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Come on. It's a friggin business decision to do that. You speak the language of your customers if you want to make money. If a large share of their customers are native Spanish speakers, then have signs in Spanish signs as well. Additionally, it's clearly obvious that if most retail establishments wish to do well in the US, all of their personnel speak English as well.

It's kind of like when you go to a restaurant in a tourist town in Mexico and the menus are in English. It's not the end of the world. English is the lingua franca of the world! I doubt that a local Publix store will usher in the beginning of the end of the English language.

So what about Schools, Courts, etc. that aren't private businesses that have to spend more money on ESOP programs, interpreters, etc. Basically, schools are free daycares for the migrant workers and they get a free lunch YET still don't learn English.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,433,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
So what about Schools, Courts, etc. that aren't private businesses that have to spend more money on ESOP programs, interpreters, etc. Basically, schools are free daycares for the migrant workers and they get a free lunch YET still don't learn English.
That's what I was talking about earlier. All the money spent on ESL and ESOL programs. There are night classes available for people who want to learn the language. Too much tolerance.

I'd like most people who live in GA to spend a few months in South Florida, and maybe the answers may change.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,525,781 times
When american companies make spanish signs they are trying to get spanish spenders from spanish companies. Again shutting down the mom & pops stores, even the spanish ones. It is greed. I saw an ad on the Marta for a spanish attorney it was in all spanish. So if I hurt myself at work or get in a car wreck I can't call this spanish attorney, because they only serve spanish people. They don't have an english and spanish ad, it is just all spanish. It is like they are trying to have their own country in our country and they are succeeding. Maybe once the Wal Marts and Publix's shut down all the spanish compitition they can go back to all english.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:13 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,362,363 times
I personally dont mind if they have signage in another language...I just wish that I wasnt forced to learn a second language to stay competitive in the job market. I think that those who migrate to this country SHOULD speak english or atleast learn it enough to speak to those of us that dont speak their language. Almost every other culture learns the language of the land except spanish.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

39 posts, read 196,604 times
This signs don't bother me to much. I just hate how Spanish speaking people have no reason to learn English. Sign everywhere in Spanish, schools are going bilingual which is stupid to teach English speaking kids Spanish so they can understand there classmates. For me it come down to that I personally would never move to another country unless I spoke the official language at a level so I can get through my daily life an communicate i almost all situation. but that's just me.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,689,382 times
Well, India has English as the offiicial language. I work with several Indians that speak as many as 3-4 different Indian languages that other Indians don't know. There's several languages in India, But they all speak English! All 1.2 Billion of them. We can't get 30 Million Spaniards to learn English.

Funny thing is, in Banglore, they have a similar issue with the govt. putting road signs in English and whatever the Banglore's language is as the people don't like like how Banglore has changed with non-natives.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 AM

894 posts, read 4,354,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I'd like most people who live in GA to spend a few months in South Florida, and maybe the answers may change.

More like a few days!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,219,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The topic: A Publix grocery store in Norcross is now adding 1500 Spanish items to their shelves, and the store signage will now all be in English and Spanish.
Publix is a private business, and as such they have the right to post signs in Swalhili if they want to do it. They know that many of their customers are Spanish speaking aliens who haven't learned our language. They know that providing signs in Spanish may help their business. I think it's smart business on their part, while at the same time being a sad commentary on our lax immigration policy. Now I as a consumer get to decide if I want to spend my money with that business.

What I disagree with, and have a huge problem with, is when local, state, and the federal government spend huge amounts of taxpayer dollars to provide things like ballots in multiple languages, especially when voters are supposed to be citizens (who are required by law to have a basic understanding and be conversant in English).

There is a big difference (at least for now...4 years from now, maybe not) between a private company and the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta