Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 20,893 times

Advertisements

I am currently a young African American female in search of some information about the school systems of Atlanta and surronding areas. As my fiance and I contemplate where we would like to start our lives as one together Atlanta is at the top of the list. I am currently in graduate school for School Administration and will complete my requirements December of 2009. I have a NC teaching license (3 years) and I currently teach for Wake County Public School System ( Raleigh, NC). What are my chances of getting an Assist Principal postion or curriculum facilitator position? Are they building any new schools within the next few years? Which school systems would your suggest? What are the politics like within the school system? I know that these are broad questions, as credentials can help determine some outlook, but I need to know the feel of the systems! Any information that is supplied will be helpful. I don't mind teaching another year or two but I must have some chance of actually getting a job, as my student loan payments will reflect the fact that I have completed graduates school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 02:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
I think that next year will be a difficult year to be picky about education jobs...

Already, the largest school system, Gwinnett, in the state, has gotten a waiver that will allow them to increase class size. Gwinnett has about 150K students and is 50 percent larger than the next nearest in size system. What they do will impact teaching jobs across the metro area.

Here is an article about their plans:
Largest school system opts out of state rules | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/gwinnett/content/metro/gwinnett/stories/2008/12/17/gwinnett_school_plan.html - broken link)

Most systems are curtailing hiring at the central offices and most currently have hiring freezes. The economy is not expected to change next year.
Again, articles:
DeKalb announces layoffs | Get Schooled | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/education/entries/2008/10/10/dekalb_announce.html - broken link)

When most systems build new schools here, they are generally moving students from an overcrowded school to the new one. I know that Wake County has experienced phenomenal growth the last decade or so. Gwinnett County has been like that here, though growth has been rather flat the last year or two.

I can't speak for all school systems, but much hiring for administrators is done from within. One of the most common certificates held by DeKalb county teachers, for example , is the leadership one. There are far more candidates for AP jobs then there will ever be jobs. Right now, for example, DeKalb has 9 more APs then are really needed. Before any new are hired, these 9 will be relocated.

Many legislative observers believe that the state will loosen class size requirements for the 2009-2010 school year. Add to that the fact that many teachers who might have retired or simply left the field will be staying put because of the economy and I genuinely expect there to be far fewer jobs than in previous years. This doesn't mean that there will be none, just fewer.

Teach middle or high school math or science or special ed and you can pretty much write your own ticket.

I recommend that you look at the website, TeachGeorgia - Home

Old 01-01-2009, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 20,893 times
Thanks lastminutemom ! I am considering moving to the area within the next year of two. I am also looking into Forsyth county, Dekalb, Barrow, Jackson, and Hall. There are lots of other counties that surrond Gwinnett. At my age,24, I am looking to move up and will go wherever the job is. The key is networking! I don't teach high school but my fiance is interested in teaching secondary math. I noticed that the salary for teachers is about 10,000 more than Wake County. Will cost of living compensate the salary difference or will I actually see my money. I know that we will probably not live in the city of Atlanta, but from what I heard about traffic I must factor in commute time as well when choosing an area to live in. There are so many different little towns and surburbia areas around Atlanta! One addtional question, will the state of Georgia honor and pay me for my Masters Degree in Administration if I am not in an adminsitrative position? Here in North Carolina your degree must be directly related to the classroom ( example, a masters in reading or science) in order to recieve the pay for the degree.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
DeKalb is probably the system that is in the worse shape financially in Metro Atlanta, though by next year, none of them will be in good shape.

DeKalb hired far fewer elementary teachers this year as compared to last. Before this school year, the system had around 200 non-state funded teaching positions, they cut that to 100 this year and will probably cut more.

As long as you secure the job before moving here, you should be fine.

There are lots of systems, but in the past many new hires started in Gwinnett because they have been hiring so many teachers. Additionally, teachers regularly left DeKalb and other systems to work in Gwinnett. With neither of those things being quite as likely next year, I just think it will make it more competitive.

I think as masters is a masters in terms of GA salaries.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM

25 posts, read 85,453 times
I am so happy that came across this topic. I was planning to move to Georgia this year myself. I was shock read whats going on with the schools but its expected due to this economy. I made plans to attend the metro resa job fair. I am certified in school counseling and secondary social studies in maryland and the US virgin Islands. I am hoping i can get something. I am currently a counselor at an alternative school and was hoping to be a counselor when I move but now i am contemplating going back into the classroom if I move this year. Base on what I am reading it seems that pickings will be slim.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 PM

293 posts, read 1,107,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSnewbie View Post
I am so happy that came across this topic. I was planning to move to Georgia this year myself. I was shock read whats going on with the schools but its expected due to this economy. I made plans to attend the metro resa job fair. I am certified in school counseling and secondary social studies in maryland and the US virgin Islands. I am hoping i can get something. I am currently a counselor at an alternative school and was hoping to be a counselor when I move but now i am contemplating going back into the classroom if I move this year. Base on what I am reading it seems that pickings will be slim.
Fulton County is going to surplus 300 new teachers this year and there is a hiring freeze for new hires for next year. Unless something changes, as of now, Fulton will not be hiring any new teachers next year (at least until they can place their 300 teachers). It is really sad. The pickings will be very slim. I would wait until 2010-2011 to see if things shaped up a little better because right now they are horrible. Some teachers will be without jobs this school year.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:51 AM

Thank you sweet peach. I really appreciate all of your input.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:56 AM

153 posts, read 380,906 times
Im in Gwinnett and we have a hiring freeze also. A girl on my grade level just left to go to Australia 2 wks ago and the principal could not offer the replacement a contract.

We will have MANY displaced teachers in our school system this upcoming yr. One of the sweetest teachers who has been at my school longer than the other reading recovery teachers will be displaced. She gave birth at the end of May 2008 and came back this yr as a part time teacher due to her son. She is being displaced because the part time employees are being cut.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM

just checking to see if there were any updates on the hiring of teachers in georgia.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 PM

293 posts, read 1,107,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSnewbie View Post
just checking to see if there were any updates on the hiring of teachers in georgia.
From the Fulton County standpoint, no. However, contracts will be going out this week and will need to be returned before Spring Break. I wouldn't completely give up, because things may change in April and May. Of course, I'll let you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: