Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 AM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I went on a 4 day trip to Atlanta back in 2003. I enjoyed the city okay, but I didnt get that Old South feeling anywhere. I am from Richmond- so I am naturally used to a lot of Southern hospitality.

Anyways, I took a tour of the Margaret Mitchell home (its really a one level flat), and it was okay. The tour guide was nice. But I was dissapointed in how generic Atlanta seems to be. It seems like anyplace in the USA. I mean, I know its a big city.

But anyways, I was hoping for women in hoop skirts to say fiddle dee dee, and where was Rhett Butler? Stuck on the Marta?

Anyways, Atlanta just didnt feel much like GWTW.

I hope maybe I can visit again and get that Gone With The Wind feelin'
Um, there's a reason that Mitchell titled the book Gone with the Wind. 'Cause the Atlanta that existed before the war is, like, "gone". Like, "with the Wind".

It may hard to appreciate this from Richmond, where only about 25% of the city was destroyed during the Civil War (and most of that in fires set by retreating Confederate troops), but Atlanta was pretty completely burned to the ground after Sherman captured it -- he spared hospitals and churches, but little else. The passing away of an entire world, an entire way of life, is a big part of what GWTW is about.

When that world ended, much of what made it possible ended also, so what replaced it when the city was rebuilt was very different.

Besides which, most what people associate with GWTW is a plantation lifestyle that was (a) rural, and hence not what Atlanta was ever like, having been a railroad town from the beginning, and (b) never really that common this far up in the Piedmont -- large plantations like Tara were much more a feature of the coastal plains, which don't really begin until you're south of Atlanta (Tara was notionally located in Clayton County, on the southern side of Metro Atlanta, and while there were plantations that far north, they weren't really common -- much more prevalent were the sort of yeoman farmstead you can see captured by the Atlanta History Center's Tullie Smith Farm).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
[quote=DeaconJ;7706760]Because Atlanta isn't Gone with the Wind. Atlanta is a major international city...not the 19th century setting for a fictional novel. Even if that 19th century version of Atlanta was all the city ever became, it wouldn't be the same place 150 years later...by the way, did Atlanta feel like Driving Miss Daisy? That's a completely different era and a completely different Atlanta from GWTW - but it's Atlanta too. Who in their right mind comes to a city looking for the 1865 GWTW city or the 1948 Driving Miss Daisy city. It is 2007! If Richmond is stuck in the 19th century okay, but don't expect successful cities to be there with it.[quote=DeaconJ;7706760]

Having grown up in Druid Hills, and having had parents, grandparents and a great-aunt that lived there (you get a glimpse of her house in the movie), I have to say that the director totally got it right with that movie. It truly felt like Druid Hills and Atlanta during the 50's and 60's.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Well ditto for me. I surely didnt experience much Southern hospitality in Atlanta.... Was almost run over a few times, and didnt dare look at anybody on The Marta for fear of having my throat slit. Im sure y'all arent all yankee carpetbaggers , lol
LOL--I haven't seen recent stats but I'm pretty sure the number of transplants exceeds the number of natives. If you were driving that explains a lot--courtesy is definitely 'GWTW'.

I found this list of Atlanta's Oldest Structures>>>
List of oldest structures in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember when they moved the Tullie Smith House from North Druid Hills Rd. I grew up in this area and was not impressed by 'the old house'--a farmhouse, not a plantation. I believe, but am not certain, that there were farms from north of Peachtree Street to Decatur, and beyond --the area now called Poncey Highlands. I need to review Atlanta History.
Callanwolde, the Candler mansion, is worth a tour--near the Druid Hills area. Beautiful in the Spring.

You would need a tour guide to find all of them --I'd opt for a tour of the Atlanta History Museum. Roswell, GA is about 20 minutes from the History Center and there are some beautiful homes there.
City of Roswell || New Historic Homes (http://www.roswellgov.com/index.php?p=379 - broken link)

I think Inman Park should be on the 'Must See' List--that is 'Old Atlanta' to me. The first planned community built after the Civil War.>>>
http://www.inmanpark.org/flyer.html (broken link)
http://www.inmanpark.org/

Also 'Must See'--Piedmont Park>>>
http://www.piedmontpark.org/visit/history.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 03-03-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Because of all the damn transplants!! You can count us Native Atlantans on one hand. LOL

Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Um, there's a reason that Mitchell titled the book Gone with the Wind. 'Cause the Atlanta that existed before the war is, like, "gone". Like, "with the Wind".

It may hard to appreciate this from Richmond, where only about 25% of the city was destroyed during the Civil War (and most of that in fires set by retreating Confederate troops), but Atlanta was pretty completely burned to the ground after Sherman captured it -- he spared hospitals and churches, but little else. The passing away of an entire world, an entire way of life, is a big part of what GWTW is about.

When that world ended, much of what made it possible ended also, so what replaced it when the city was rebuilt was very different.

Besides which, most what people associate with GWTW is a plantation lifestyle that was (a) rural, and hence not what Atlanta was ever like, having been a railroad town from the beginning, and (b) never really that common this far up in the Piedmont -- large plantations like Tara were much more a feature of the coastal plains, which don't really begin until you're south of Atlanta (Tara was notionally located in Clayton County, on the southern side of Metro Atlanta, and while there were plantations that far north, they weren't really common -- much more prevalent were the sort of yeoman farmstead you can see captured by the Atlanta History Center's Tullie Smith Farm).

I realize all of this. What struck me most, was why Atlanta doesnt take GWTW and use it for their advantage. I did see the Margaret Mitchell home, but I was surprised why they didn't bank on one of their biggest tourists attractions

Like here in Richmond, we make it known to everyone we were the Capital of the Confederacy. People dress in uniform and march around the statues, and salute. And you go to the Jefferson Hotel, and sometimes they play the theme song from GWTW.

We make people feel as if they were in the 19th Century.

Its like Richmond is taking advtange of its personality. But Atlanta needs to do this. They should have more sites about GWTW . Not just some crummy old aparment that Margaret Mitchell lived in.

I suppose maybe its not considered "politicaly corrrect"? I just think it would be a good idea for Atlanta to play up its image a bit.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Atlanta doesn't need this. Sure, it could (and don't they do something like this at Stone Mtn?)

Atlanta has much more going for it. Sure, a nice antebellum "production" would be cool, and draw some tourists, but Atlanta has enough draws on its own now.

Richmonder, please adjust your meds. I was born in VA as well & you're embarrassing yourself, as well as tarnishing the image of my birthplace. I take offense to that. Do you wish to anger me further?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
I realize all of this. What struck me most, was why Atlanta doesnt take GWTW and use it for their advantage. I did see the Margaret Mitchell home, but I was surprised why they didn't bank on one of their biggest tourists attractions

Like here in Richmond, we make it known to everyone we were the Capital of the Confederacy. People dress in uniform and march around the statues, and salute. And you go to the Jefferson Hotel, and sometimes they play the theme song from GWTW.

Its like Richmond is taking advtange of its personality. But Atlanta needs to do this. They should have more sites about GWTW . Not just some crummy old aparment that Margaret Mitchell lived in.

I suppose maybe its not considered "politicaly corrrect"? I just think it would be a good idea for Atlanta to play up its image a bit.
Do you think someone coming to Richmond for a 4 day visit would know any of those little details you mentioned? NO...they wouldn't, just like you didn't know anything about the little interesting details of Atlanta.

Now, there you go again. I posted dozens of photos showing you GWTW sites, so you know that Margaret Mitchell House isn't the only one...but you're still saying it!

It's not about being politically correct...you just need to realize that there are A LOT more different things to do in Atlanta than in Richmond. Branch out from Gone with the Wind and stop obsessing over ONE film/novel about Atlanta - granted a BIG ONE - but only one. There are others, and there are other very interesting places/people/activities that might amuse you.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Branch out from Gone with the Wind and stop obsessing over ONE film/novel about Atlanta - granted a BIG ONE - but only one. There are others, and there are other very interesting places/people/activities that might amuse you.
On that note, would you mind showing me where the "Smokey & the Bandit" exhibit is located?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM

697 posts, read 3,021,331 times
Quote:

Well, one big difference is that Richmond really was the capital city of the Confederacy, in the real world. Atlanta was whatever it was portrayed to be in GWTW mainly in the imagination of a middle-aged erstwhile journalist turned popular novelist. There's a big difference between highlighting or enhancing what's really there, and trying to turn a myth into some kind of reality, especially when you're trying to do so in a place where a few million people are already living their own reality that has nothing to do with that myth.

Quote:
Again, the point is that Atlanta's "personality" never has and never will have anything to do with whatever Margaret Mitchell imagined antebellum Georgia to be like. "Confederate Capital" really is part of Richmond's personality. There are actual historical buildings with some connection to that reality.

Atlanta's a real place too, not a GWTW theme park, and it's just not possible to make up and construct whatever people think the history of it should be.

Quote:
Atlanta playing up its image would be a good idea. That's what places like the CNN Center, World of Coca-Cola Museum, Atlanta History Center, Atlanta Botanical Garden, Cyclorama, etc., are about. It's no accident that the big tourist attractions in the city are connected with businesses (CNN Center, Coke Museum, GA Aquarium) -- that's the city's personality, such as it is. Whatever else it may be, it's not Mammy and Prissy flapping around against their own better judgment trying to keep the white folks out of trouble, or whatever you think Atlanta's image ought to be that wouldn't be "politically correct".

Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
The real question should be: "Does Atlanta still look like Smokey and the Bandit?

Check this out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta