Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Thats.....sorta what I meant AcidSnake.....Im sure the air was a lot cleaner in 1979 in Atlanta then it is this year. I beat many people don't even know the REAL color of pollen. Its not that tennis ball greenish-yellow stuff that we see on our cars. Everyone and their uncle has some kind of cancer and I won't even get into the population of Fat People. Recycling should be big business by now, government funded plants could create a lot of gigs. Everyone thought Eisenhower, Rockefeller & Ford were these geniuses. Look where we are now. Henry Flagler should have stayed with train development instead of selling out to those guys. I still don't believe the hype on high gas prices we were forced to pay in 2007 & 2008 and now they are hanging just under 2 bucks? So who exactly changed their habits Europe? Asia? Definitely not the United States, so whats really going on?
Sorry Cooly, I was having one of my "weird" moments when I made that comment. I'm in the same boat with with you. Given all that we know now about pollution and the health risks that follow it in the last 30 years, it's kind of a let down that there hasn't been a more mainstream standardized approach to mitigating pollution in the U.S.

That's what disappoints me a lot about this country. There's too much of an obssesion with nursing ideological viewpoints when all the while we ALL suffer from pollution. Heck, Sonny Purdue's "Go Fish" initiative was laughed at because many of the fishing streams in Georgia are tainted by mercury & other factory pollutants, which goes back to our state bending over backwards for industry.

In my personal opinion I would feel more comfortable with doing more for Earth Day if my actions was part of a more comprehensive, culturally ingrained standardized approach rather than this ad hoc "I do me, you do you" approach. I want to care more about Earth day, but like you Cooly, a part of me seems to want to say why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Henry Flagler should have stayed with train development instead of selling out to those guys. I still don't believe the hype on high gas prices we were forced to pay in 2007 & 2008 and now they are hanging just under 2 bucks? So who exactly changed their habits Europe? Asia? Definitely not the United States, so whats really going on?
To add to your laments Cooly, I consider it a tragic shame that the steam engine wasn't explored a bit more as an alternate means of powering our cars. The Big oil oligarchy is a very powerful & influential entity for sure.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:51 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,395 times
No, I hate the environment. That ***** mother nature will kill us before we kill her. It's egotistical to think otherwise.

In conclusion: burn stuff, salt the earth, kill some animals, and litter with plastic and harmful substances. Don't worry, mother earth will still outlive you

Old 04-25-2009, 12:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,533,395 times
Quote:
I still don't believe the hype on high gas prices we were forced to pay in 2007 & 2008 and now they are hanging just under 2 bucks? So who exactly changed their habits Europe? Asia? Definitely not the United States, so whats really going on?
*sigh* epic fail for you in economics, cool

The surge in oil prices (as well as other commodities prices) was caused by speculation of investors, many with margin loans, buying up futures contracts and trying to sell them later for a price slightly less than the original companies were selling them. Unfortunately, REAL demand for these commodities drastically reduced because prices become way too high compared to wages/inflation. So, investors had to start lowering their prices on the market to get people to buy them again. First, it started with the companies/farmers/resource miners themselves, then the speculators who had to keep their prices at or below the originators' prices, and it turned into a vicious cycle of crashing and burning for the supply-side in determining price. The prices are finally coming back down to reality and then some.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,523,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

When we first moved here, we were devestated that there was no curbside recycling offered, and ended up driving all the recycling because we couldn't throw away this stuff in the trash after many years of reducing our rubbish. Luckily, after calling around, we finally found a trash service that does both rubbish and recycling pickup. Many people won't spend the money (for us $6/mo) or make the effort to recycle which is very sad.

I'm a believer in personal choice and people doing the right thing out of conviction rather than a government mandate, but I can't beleive that GA still doesn't require that curbside recycling be offered like most states. Still, even given that fact, people here seem to be behind the 8 ball on recycling. I've noticed that many folks here throw away bottles and cans, whereas when we lived in MA, it was almost automatic that the host would collect all the bottles and cans in the garage or somewhere to take back for deposit or to go in the recycling.
+ 1 dude

I had a habit of separating plastics and metals when I first moved here, only to find out there was no where to put them.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,523,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
*sigh* epic fail for you in economics, cool

The surge in oil prices (as well as other commodities prices) was caused by speculation of investors, many with margin loans, buying up futures contracts and trying to sell them later for a price slightly less than the original companies were selling them. Unfortunately, REAL demand for these commodities drastically reduced because prices become way too high compared to wages/inflation. So, investors had to start lowering their prices on the market to get people to buy them again. First, it started with the companies/farmers/resource miners themselves, then the speculators who had to keep their prices at or below the originators' prices, and it turned into a vicious cycle of crashing and burning for the supply-side in determining price. The prices are finally coming back down to reality and then some.
Blah blah blah blah!!! What you just said make no sense to me. The 75/85 connector is still bumper to bumper. Again who stopped driving Asia, Europe or America? Supply Demand Supply Demand.... Who the hell stopped driving?? You gotta explain that from a different angle because you speaking real Spanish right now. And don't make it an Obama Vs Bush thing because that is not what I am talking about. I hope gas goes to 9.00$ gal for 87 Octane. Thats what I wish for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: