Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 PM

75 posts, read 553,851 times

Advertisements

Decisions decisions decisions...I know nothing about GPS systems and was thinking of purchasing one. I heard Garmin was pretty good. I want one that is not so expensive and user friendly. What else should I consider when purchasing one? Any suggestions? Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 PM

32 posts, read 75,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess View Post
Decisions decisions decisions...I know nothing about GPS systems and was thinking of purchasing one. I heard Garmin was pretty good. I want one that is not so expensive and user friendly. What else should I consider when purchasing one? Any suggestions? Thanx.

I had a Garmin and it by far better than the one in my car. I would recommend the Garmin Nuvi!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
+1 on the Garmin Nuvi. I bought one 2 years ago to take on a trip and my wife has used it in her car ever since then.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,897,365 times
Generally Garmin is considered the best and most reliable. They have cranked out a dud or two, but for the most part are consistently better than the others.

Magellan are ok, but have the very irritating habit of screaming out, "Please turn around" if you try to deviate from the route it sets for you - as opposed to Garmin and Mio (below) that "recalculate a new route" for you based on the direction you decide to go.

Mio is harder to find since Circuit City went out, but they're kinda neat. Not as flashy to use as Garmin, but generally accurate and cheaper in price.

TomToms usually get the worst rating when they do comparisons of them all against each other. Some people have them and love them, but they're notorious for being a few seconds behind the others when you're driving at highways speeds (can make a difference when you're nearing an exit).

Make sure and get one that says it speaks the street names, too - otherwise, it'll just say, "turn right in 300 yards", as opposed to "turn right on Elm Street", etc. You can also get them with Bluetooth built in to them, so if your cell phone has Bluetooth, it can go through the GPS and work as a speaker phone while you're driving - this hasn't caught on much, but with possible Federal laws down the road that might make holding a cell up to your ear illegal if you're driving, it might wind up being a very handy feature later.

Note: Costco, Sam's Club, and BJs warehouses typically have better deals on these things than standard retail stores, and with Costco, you have at least a 90 day return ability if it goes bad.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM

28 posts, read 122,694 times
I have a Garmin nuvi and am completely unimpressed with the technology and the support.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 AM

39 posts, read 104,614 times
We bought the el-cheapo TomTom when we moved to Atlanta for about $100. It is not fancy and I wish the display was better, but it knows Atlanta streets well enough to get us to the right address. It has kept us from getting lost, so it has done its job.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM

75 posts, read 553,851 times
Thank you all...really appreciated the feedback. So I guess it's Garmin...hands down. Will check them out today.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:19 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,691 times
garmin indeed. make sure its a 2010 release as they tweak the maps every year. and go for the 4.3 screen models
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta