Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 AM

21 posts, read 66,269 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased a wonderful home behind One Ivy...(South City Kitchen, Muss & Turner's, etc) ...but we've lived in the area for years. My commute is just to Marietta and I regularly travel down Atlanta Rd. and/or South Cobb. What is going on with the Belmont Hills shopping center? I have heard for years that it was slated to be torn down and a new development was supposed to go up but its still just a big vacant eyesore. And what about the Jonquil Plaza? Wasn't that Publix supposed to open THIS spring? Also, on Concord, between Atlanta Rd. and South Cobb there is a nice builidng that was built over a year ago and nothing's really gone in it. AND...what are they doing at East West and South Cobb, where the Home Depot Garden Center was? One more thing...the four corners of South Cobb and Concord....is anything gonna happen there? I keep hearing rumors but nothing ever happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Good question but I have no clue. I live in the Atlanta Road immediate vicinity to it and those signs have been up since I moved here last October. Doesn't seem to be much progress being made... eather it seems to be at a stand still.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
You may have heard a little thing going on called a major recession. Oftentimes these things tend to have negative impacts on new building, especially when housing demand and credit lines are frozen. So, I don't expect too many projects that have been started to actually start going anytime soon.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia75 View Post
AND...what are they doing at East West and South Cobb, where the Home Depot Garden Center was?
There were a couple of threads going earlier about that site.

Smyrna new mixed-use development - South Cobb Drive + East-West/Cumberland intersection?

Retail develppment on S Cobb and E/W Connector in Smyrna.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,491 times
The Smyrna Gossip say's the founding fathers will approve a car wash where Home Depot's garden center used to be. Of all the wasteful, inappropriate things. It ought to be a reality clinic for all the short sighted, instant gratification, vanity gorged planners and politicians that grace "Vinings". Reality: Vinings was a shotgun shack community at the bottom of the Overlook where we used to pick-up day labor before the hispanics arrived. And Smyrna was a hideout for old fat rich men that had recently been "chosen" to participate in an "impromptu affair of matrimony" close to the muzzle of a 12 gauge. I wish everyone would just draw a slow and meaningful breath...exhale it slowly as well...and experience the impact development has had (to this point) in this area. Let the ducks have it for a while and watch how the grading has affected long effective I.W.W streams.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibek View Post
The Smyrna Gossip say's the founding fathers will approve a car wash where Home Depot's garden center used to be. Of all the wasteful, inappropriate things. It ought to be a reality clinic for all the short sighted, instant gratification, vanity gorged planners and politicians that grace "Vinings". Reality: Vinings was a shotgun shack community at the bottom of the Overlook where we used to pick-up day labor before the hispanics arrived.
Vinings is an unincorporated community and has very little say in what the Cobb County planners do in terms of zoning, etc. Hence the vote on whether or not to become a city not that long ago. Besides, the area in question is in Smyrna, as you say.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,491 times
Default more history...

The Cobb County Comissioner representing "Vinings" is Bob Ott. The seat was previously held by J. Thompson, a notorius "pork barrel" politician for almost 30 years in the E. Cobb area. 13 mile an hour speed limits and speed bumps are his legacy and can be experienced in the multi-use development at 285 and Atlanta Rd.
The truth be known... the area around S. Cobb Dr. and the E-W connector is developed enough. It is a result of poor planning (accessablity, mostly) that businesses tend to be transient in this 5 strip plaza community. It would serve us all better to have the Smyrna and Cobb County planners develop a more cohesive relationship when deciding the business needs of our community

Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anibek View Post
The truth be known... the area around S. Cobb Dr. and the E-W connector is developed enough. It is a result of poor planning (accessablity, mostly) that businesses tend to be transient in this 5 strip plaza community. It would serve us all better to have the Smyrna and Cobb County planners develop a more cohesive relationship when deciding the business needs of our community
Oh, I certainly agree. I really like developments like West Village and One Ivy Walk, and while it would be very nice to do something with the SW corner of the South Cobb & E/W Connector intersection, a "car wash" isn't really the most useful thing that leaps to my mind, either.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:37 AM

21 posts, read 66,269 times
a car wash? that's ridiculous! so does that mean that the planned development is definitely not happening now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta