Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 AM

41 posts, read 113,622 times

Advertisements

hi,
we are planning to sell the house in atlanta ( we have hi hopes) aand I was thinking to move to or around Kennesaw. I need to finish my school.
I have a 4 yo son, I need a good and safe neighborhood and schools . We plan to get a townhouse, with a backyard that can be closed and maybe 2 bedrooms , 3....max
Can I find something good for about 130k?
thanks
any suggestion is welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
There are around 80 listings in Kennesaw for condos under $130k- they start at under $60k. I'd think you could find some in decent neighborhoods for around what you're looking to spend.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:10 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Yep you can... Sorta.

The catch here is you will be in city limits and paying hefty tax. Car tax, utilities tax, property tax. All this atop the already high cobb county.

Just something to consider

Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 AM

She's selling a house in Atlanta- if she's in the city limits, the tax rate in Kennesaw will actually be slightly lower than the City of Atlanta rate, plus sales tax is lower.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
I would have assumed that it would be much lower. You mean to say property taxes in kennesaw would match atlanta's taxes. Before when I compared fulton/atlanta to say Cobb/Marietta, the Cobb property taxes were substantially less (1,000+ on many properties) If not, another reason not to live so far out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
She's selling a house in Atlanta- if she's in the city limits, the tax rate in Kennesaw will actually be slightly lower than the City of Atlanta rate, plus sales tax is lower.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:31 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Kennesaw raised the rates 2 years ago. I think it went up again last year again..

total is almost 40mills vs under 30 for cobb. which can be as much as 1 mil less than atlanta. negligible.

how do i know? i screwed up and got some registrations sent to the city address. the new bill was double what i used to get before so i went and cried and i got the "we raised the rates, here they are now" page shoved in my face. needless to say, i corrected the addresses for the next tax season.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I would have assumed that it would be much lower. You mean to say property taxes in kennesaw would match atlanta's taxes. Before when I compared fulton/atlanta to say Cobb/Marietta, the Cobb property taxes were substantially less (1,000+ on many properties) If not, another reason not to live so far out.
Kennesaw specifically, and Cobb in general, are fairly high for the outer counties/cities. The rates in Cherokee County are over 10 points lower than Fulton/Atlanta. She's also looking to spend only $130k, which wouldn't buy her much (anything?) in an area of Atlanta with decent schools, so there's a reason for moving out there- to get what she needs and can afford. I'm also assuming she's planning on attending KSU, based on her "finish school" comment, so living in Atlanta isn't exactly ideal. And since she'll be paying less for her house, her taxes will be lower even with a similar rate.

Remember- the entire metro area doesn't work in downtown, so it's not the ideal home base for everyone.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Yep you can... Sorta.

The catch here is you will be in city limits and paying hefty tax. Car tax, utilities tax, property tax. All this atop the already high cobb county.

Just something to consider
Cobb taxes aren't that high compared to other metro counties?

C-D thread comparing property taxes in some counties

Communities Magazine . Taxes

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-14-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 PM

41 posts, read 113,622 times
thank you , my friends, it is true, I will buy a smaller house and The taxes where I stay now are ,.....considerable. So , probabily the ones in kennesaw or near by would be affordable for me. and schools good. And I dont care about being in the city limits, never did.
Finishing school means , in my case to get a master in languages, MBA....

Old 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Go a little bit further out to Woodstock. Southern Cherokee County, and the taxes are much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta