Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,377 times

Advertisements

Interested in relocating to Atlanta and we've narrowed our choices to Alpharetta , Duluth, Lawrenceville and Canton (Cherokee County). We are interested in moving in a master-planned community 500+ homes (tennis courts, pools, club houses, etc). Haven't seen many in Alpharetta, although I 've seen many new master planned communities in Cherokee County and Gwinnett county. Are there any that can be recommended. I've heard that Alpharetta public schools are great. Any suggestions or recommendations. We have *******s and teen aged children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
We just bought at Harmony at the Lakes in Canton. It's a masterplanned community of around 1,000 homes, with around a 1/2 dozen different builders. There'sa clubhouse with an activities director, 8 tennis courts, two pools (one near the kids pool and one "adults only" pool), and two lakes with a bandstand/gazebo.

The elementary school is around 1/2 a mile down the road, and the middle school and high schools are fairly close- they all score very well on the standardized tests, and from the conversations we've had with people regarding the schools, we're impressed.

Out of the 640 acres, they set aside a substantial amount as conservation area, with walking trails, streams, waterfalls, etc. It's really a beautiful place. We bought a Pulte home that will be done in August. The homes start in the low 200's and go up into the 600's for some of the larger homes on secluded lots.

Hope that helps.

Bob

Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
I would highly recommend finding a job first, and then looking for suburbs to buy in after that. Your masterplanned community won't be so enjoyable if you have to drive 60-90 min to get there.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
MorningView area in Suwanee is one such area. Like Go Blue 99, figure your job llocation then find an area near your job.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...a-suwanee.html

Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 PM

59 posts, read 348,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsT2007 View Post
Interested in relocating to Atlanta and we've narrowed our choices to Alpharetta, Duluth, Lawrenceville and Canton (Cherokee County).
That's a fairly large area you are considering. I will repeat the Atlanta forum mantra: Traffic in the Atlanta area is HORRIBLE. Find a job first, then pick the area you want to live. Once you know where you're working, then pick an area that will close by the job. Don't rely on mileage from mapquest - you should double any time estimates that they give you.

From your list of choices Alpharetta is in the center. Duluth is a decent distance, Canton is stretching it, and Lawrenceville is probably too far for a decent rush-hour commute. Have you considered southern Forsyth county? It borders Fulton and the schools are very good. Parts of southern Forsyth have either Cumming or Suwanee zip codes. There are a number of master-planned communites in Forsyth - Windermere, James Creek, Chattahoochee River Club, & Lake Forest come to mind.

Wherever the job is, you'll want to come down and do it during rush hour to the areas you are considering to live in. I'll be moving down to GA at the end of May. I'll be working in Alpharetta, and we were really considering Canton. However, trying to deal with the traffic on route 140 to Canton during rush hour was a real eye-opener. We nixed Canton shortly thereafter and settled for Cumming.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by AKelley728; 04-18-2007 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 04:06 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKelley728 View Post
That's a fairly large area you are considering. I will repeat the Atlanta forum mantra: Traffic in the Atlanta area is HORRIBLE. Find a job first, then pick the area you want to live. Once you know where you're working, then pick an area that will close by the job. Don't rely on mileage from mapquest - you should double any time estimates that they give you.

From your list of choices Alpharetta is in the center. Duluth is a decent distance, Canton is stretching it, and Lawrenceville is probably too far for a decent rush-hour commute. Have you considered southern Forsyth county? It borders Fulton and the schools are very good. Parts of southern Forsyth have either Cumming or Suwanee zip codes. There are a number of master-planned communites in Forsyth - Windermere, James Creek, Chattahoochee River Club, & Lake Forest come to mind.

Wherever the job is, you'll want to come down and do it during rush hour to the areas you are considering to live in. I'll be moving down to GA at the end of May. I'll be working in Alpharetta, and we were really considering Canton. However, trying to deal with the traffic on route 140 to Canton during rush hour was a real eye-opener. We nixed Canton shortly thereafter and settled for Cumming.

Good luck in your search.
How do you like Cumming? I have heard many good things about this town. I am a transplant from NH now living in SWFL. I like it here and have family ties but the cost of living and housing prices(not to mention property tax and homeowners insurance) is very high here. We are about to buy a home and are considering moving to Cumming and buying there..Do you have any suggestions? We have an 11 yr old daughter and a 20 yr old son(he may or may not be coming with us)and are looking for a AOG church or Vineyards as well. We are planning on a trip to the area sometime in the next month or so to check out the area(although my husband has been to many areas and loves all of them but Atlanta...He doesnt want a big city either. Any suggestions or places I could research would be a great help...take care
Lisa

Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM

165 posts, read 656,897 times
I got friends in cumming they love it the schools our great We looked up that way ourself it's really nice .We liked VIckery.Were heading back up to buy in Aug looking forward to a new area. I really loved my time in Fl but looking for a change well good luck.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:49 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Re: Cumming. I don't know tons about it, but all I know is that the major retail area (near GA 400) is one of the ugliest overgrown collection of strip malls I have ever seen.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM

62 posts, read 436,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
ugliest overgrown collection of strip malls I have ever seen.
You just described almost all of metro Atlanta.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We just bought at Harmony at the Lakes in Canton. It's a masterplanned community of around 1,000 homes, with around a 1/2 dozen different builders. There'sa clubhouse with an activities director, 8 tennis courts, two pools (one near the kids pool and one "adults only" pool), and two lakes with a bandstand/gazebo.
Bob
I live in Harmony also and it's worth checking out. My in-laws came to visit recently and commented that it reminded them of a Norman Rockwell painting. If that is what you are looking for Harmony might be the place for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta