Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 PM

249 posts, read 650,250 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some towns near our soon to be church. Its located at 3250 Chamblee Tucker rd., Atlanta, GA. I have printed out some maps but it is hard to tell how far away some of these places are, for example i was looking in to: Doraville, Norcross, Sandy Springs, Stone Mountain, Dunwoody... am I at least 30-35 min from our chuch and downtown ATL????
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:53 PM

119 posts, read 302,281 times
I'm familiar with all the areas you mentioned. I've lived in Doraville, currently live in Stone Mountain, and work in Norcross. All five places have their good and not-so-good areas.

They are all incorporated cities, but in addition to the cities, some of these places (like a lot of metro Atlanta) have multiple zip codes with unincorporated areas that greatly increase the land area associated with each city. For example, the city limits of Doraville is mostly around Buford Highway, but a Doraville zip code stops just a stone's throw from your church.

In looking at areas to live, it would be helpful for you to have a map with the land divided by zip codes. I'd recommend a Metro Atlanta street map book by ADC-The Map People. It's only $20 and worth it.

I think all of the areas you mentioned are roughly within the half-hour time frame from your church and downtown Atlanta, if there's no major traffic problems. And that can be a big "if" in metro Atlanta (like most big metro areas). Driving on 285 to or from Dunwoody or Sandy Springs, or on 85 to or from Norcross at rush hour is awful if you're going with the flow -- 85 South in the morning; 85 North in the evening and 285 West in the morning; 285 East in the evening. Going to church on Sunday mornings and into Atlanta after the morning rush should usually be easy.

If you'd like to live close to your church and be able to drive into Atlanta on side streets instead of the interstate, then I'd recommend looking at areas in north DeKalb County: Doraville, Chamblee, Tucker, and Decatur.

If you have other questions or want more specifics let me know.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:22 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunomia View Post
In looking at areas to live, it would be helpful for you to have a map with the land divided by zip codes. I'd recommend a Metro Atlanta street map book by ADC-The Map People. It's only $20 and worth it.
The ADC maps of the Atlanta area are quite useful, but they could get some good pointers from King and Hudson about making effective metro map books.

The smaller thicker form factor used by those companies is a LOT easier to handle than the ADC books (IMO), and yet it retains the same map resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta