Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times

Advertisements

Was reading an interesting article on Urbanophile and they talked about how Atlanta became one of Americas Success stories of growth and prosperity.
Just like Chicago/Detroit 100 years before.
However the article pointed out that now Atlanta is facing the problems of the rust belt cities like high unemployment/low amount of job openings and decaying infrastructure.
Also interesting Atlanta has the highest Water/Sewer rates in the nation.
The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Replay: Is It Game Over for Atlanta?

What do you see in Atlanta's Future?
Both City and Metro abroad do you think Atlantas growth will stop and the region will stay the same size or like Detroit will the city start to decline and the metro slowly with it?
Curious to see what people that live in Atlanta have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Metro Atlanta definitely has its problems right now but don't confuse the City of Atlanta (400,000) with Metro Atlanta (5.5 million). Much of the problems with Water/Sewer are with the City.

I would say Metro Atlanta's biggest problems have more to do with a lack of a Regional Transportion plan.

No - Metro Atlanta is not comparable to Detroit and No Metro Atlanta has not peaked.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Metro Atlanta definitely has its problems right now but don't confuse the City of Atlanta (400,000) with Metro Atlanta (5.5 million). Much of the problems with Water/Sewer are with the City.

I would say Metro Atlanta's biggest problems have more to do with a lack of a Regional Transportion plan.

No - Metro Atlanta is not comparable to Detroit and No Metro Atlanta has not peaked.
ya they did point out how basically 90% of atlanta has to commute by car.
here in Indianapolis we have the same thing however we are only a metro of 1.7M people+our city and state is in the talking and planning phase of a massive transit upgrade.
But running out of water is an issue that will kill any city.
Basic Human Necessity if Atlanta run outs of water atlanta or any city dies cause humans need water.
Las Vegas is in the same boat with running out of water.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
No.

Once the transportation tax passes next year Atlanta will be on it's way to greatness.

Plus will have plenty of developments in the next few years...

Legoland
International Terminal opens next year
Civil Rights Museum
College Football HOF
Buckhead Atlanta
Ponce City Market
Atlanta Beltline
Aerotropolis
National Health Museum
etc

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 11-20-2011 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM

53 posts, read 104,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
No.

Once the transportation tax passes next year Atlanta will be on it's way to greatness.

Plus will have plenty of development in the next few years...

Legoland
International Terminal opens next year
Civil Rights Museum
College Football HOF
Buckhead Atlanta
Ponce City Market
Atlanta Beltline
Aerotropolis
National Health Museum
etc
Plus there were several articles released this week projecting
The metro Atlanta region to have a population of over 8 million people
By 2040 which means about 100,000 people will continue to relocate
Here per year so no it wont peak no time soon. Despite the slow economy the metro is still growing at a healthy rate and with all the recent jobs announcements this past week it looks like things will only get better over time

Old 11-20-2011, 04:20 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,472 times
Either way I don't think Atlanta has peaked. Even with its problems the city, and the surrounding burbs still offer far far better quality of life and opportunities than most of the cities up north/northeast, so there will still be a lot of those people relocating here.

That being said...If Atlanta ever truely lives up to its potential...Depends on a couple things. One being if the Atlanta city gov't can keep things together and not screw it up. And two if we can move forward and do things that will make the city much more competative and on par with other world class cities, much of what is holding these things up now are the hardcore right-wing influence coming from the suburbs. Most of whom have nothing whatsoever to do with Atlanta other than to sponge off the benefits of being close to the city and the benefits of all the job opportunities resulting from the city.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Was reading an interesting article on Urbanophile and they talked about how Atlanta became one of Americas Success stories of growth and prosperity.
Just like Chicago/Detroit 100 years before.
However the article pointed out that now Atlanta is facing the problems of the rust belt cities like high unemployment/low amount of job openings and decaying infrastructure.
Also interesting Atlanta has the highest Water/Sewer rates in the nation.
The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Replay: Is It Game Over for Atlanta?

What do you see in Atlanta's Future?
Both City and Metro abroad do you think Atlantas growth will stop and the region will stay the same size or like Detroit will the city start to decline and the metro slowly with it?
Curious to see what people that live in Atlanta have to say.

This article has been discussed before on this forum:

Game Over For Atlanta? This guy thinks so...

Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
Plus we have more than one industry,we are not like Detroit having one industry

Old 11-20-2011, 10:21 PM

207 posts, read 643,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Plus we have more than one industry,we are not like Detroit having one industry
I second this. Mass layoffs (as in 10%+ percent of the working population, not just a few thousand) will kill any city. However, ATL seems to be decently diversified. For example, Delta is one of the largest employers, but I doubt they employee a significant percentage of the metro population.

I also agree with other posters that transportation and water are some of our biggest issues.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM

207 posts, read 643,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roku View Post
Dude, our transit is still better then like 90% of the large cities in the U.S., especially Sunbelt cities. If 90% of the people here drive to commute then 98%+ have to be in places like Dallas or Houston.
That may be the case, but I still think that mass transit here could be much better. I live in Cobb County because it is close to my job. I'm fortunate to have a reasonable (15-20 min) and relatively traffic-free commute to work, but living here also keeps me away from many of the city's amenities. If I want to go to, say, a concert, then my two options are (1) drive to a MARTA station and park, assuming that the venue is also close to a MARTA station, or (2) drive to the venue, which is often not even really an option. For example, parking at Piedmont Park for a concert just isn't going to happen. Taxis are a third option, but that would be a good 20-30 ride from where I am.

I have considering moving to Midtown and commuting out to Cobb for work, but I've not yet decided that it is worth it to pay the higher rent and endure a significantly worse commute.

For a city of Atlanta's stature, it is crazy to be this close to Midtown / Downtown and not have an effective way to get there and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta