Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 16,949 times

Advertisements

Pilot, will be working out of ATL Airport beginning June 1st. 38, married, two kids, 2 months old and a 2 year old. Wife is a stay home mom, we travel to Europe a lot (Greece) and spend summers there. I have a choice as to what time to go to work, what days to work and what time to come back. (5 am report times and 2200 release times from work, 3 day trips)
From what I have read here NE is newer and cleaner, correct me if I am wrong. Centex, Pulte, DR Horton have homes everywhere, and looks like you're getting a lot more house for the money comparing to Fresno! Schools will be an issue pretty soon as we plan to buy at some point. Triathlete, ride motorcycles and coach little swimmers Like parks, rolling hills, trees, water, (lake or river) and cool neighbors.
Will be able to spend time in ATL once I start working in June, but for now I will commute from LAX until I know what's going on. Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:03 PM

111 posts, read 596,331 times
I live in SoCal, and my family and I might be relocating soon too... Yeah, the housing in Atlanta is much more appealing than in California. Now, I am referring to the prices!

As far as areas to live in, if you're working at the Airport, Decatur is a suburb outside of Atlanta and it's close to the Airport. From what I know it has some very nice communities, and the schools aren't bad either. And from your choice of outside activities, the area should be a good fit for you.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,671,040 times
I would look into Peachtree City -- good access to the airport, far more house for your money than say Decatur or Buckhead.

The newer areas of Metro Atlanta are more family friendly than the older areas -- because of demand.

Alot depends on what you are looking for in terms of housing.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM

985 posts, read 5,761,696 times
I agree with lastminutemom. Peachtree city and Fayette county is better choice due to shorter commute to airport and more affordable houses. A lot of Delta pilots live in Peachtree city.

North Gwinnett (northeast side of Atlanta) is pretty nice (Dacula, Hamiliton, Grayson) and even more affordable, but commuting down I-85 is pretty bad in the morning. You are looking at 1 hour to 1 hour half commute.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

Cool! I'll look into them! Appreciate your input!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,542,131 times
Having been to Fresno a couple times for work for extended periods, I would say the area in Atlanta (or near it) that it reminds me of is East Cobb - ie, a lot of strip malls and chain stores/restaurants, but really good schools. The problem for you is that would be a HIKE to the airport! The good thing about this area, though, is that it is fairly close to Kennesaw Mountain park which, although is NOTHING at all like Yosemite, as least it has several miles of trails for running and biking. You will definitely miss your close proximity to mountains, but you will have the added bonus of a major city close by. As a guy who used to do a lot of distance running, I will tell you that you might be a tad bit depressed moving to Georgia from anywhere in California, b/c the culture here is not pedestrian friendly and the trail system leaves a lot to be desired. As opposed to Cali, which supports massive park systems with dozens of miles of trails, most parks near Atlanta figure 2-3 miles is all ya need. If you're willing to drive a little bit, though, you can get to some decent trails. While on the subject, the best distance trail in the area (although not very challenging) is the Silver Comet Trail, which starts in Smyrna and goes 35+ miles towards Alabama - it's an old rail-line that was paved over and tons of bikers ride there. Good luck, and enjoy the humidity when you get here!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM

42 posts, read 204,504 times
Default Moving to GA

You will love the Lithonia, Ellenwood, Decatur Area. This puts you about 30 min from the airport and 20 min from downtown. There is a brand new 10 million dollar walking trail at Arabia Mountain.... You also have stone mountain park.... No traffic in the direction that you will be going...

Peachtree city reminds me of deperate housewifes.... with everyone driving around in a golf cart...No offense!

The downtown decatur area along with Eastlake (near the golfcourse) would be a nice fit....Lots of nice new craftsman style homes. wonderful front porches for you to enjoy good ice tea and wave to your neighbors.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:11 PM

105 posts, read 552,844 times
We just finished touring the area...also moving from California (although Southern California).

We were primarily looking norht of the city, but our realtor wanted us to make the trip down to Peachtree City to look at it, because it had alot of the family stuff that we were looking for.

What was interesting is that she SPECIFICALLY mentioned that many pilots live in that area, because of the easy access to the airport & safe, family-oriented community.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,743,688 times
What is your budget for homes? There are a few pilots I believe who live in our neighborhood. We are very close to 285 in Smyrna and it's about a 15-20 minute drive to the airport. Neighborhood is teeming (And I mean teeming) with young kids, lots of SAHMs as well as professionals. If you want more info, just PM me and I'll give you the scoop.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks again for all your help. Moving used to be so simple when I was single...now with family you really have to do your homework. Thanks for all the support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta