Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 21,602 times

Advertisements

Changes coming in southeast Atlanta neighborhood *| ajc.com

The above is a link to an article about the upcoming development of 100 rental townhomes (gov't funded) in the Edgewood neighborhood.

How do you think the development of these will affect the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,011 times
Good question. If they are having success in Marietta I say try it. I am a bit interested in the price-point and criteria the property managers will use when renting out these townhomes.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 PM

156 posts, read 433,434 times
This is not going to be good. The last thing this area needs is a large infusion of low income people. Crime is bad enough as it us. It's going to get a lot worse.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 AM

461 posts, read 1,068,592 times
It just depends on the price point. Rental doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 21,602 times
I agree, but how high could the price point be if they're inteneded for people that can't afford to purchase a home? It would seem to me that there is plenty to rent in the neighborhood as it is. Luckily rentals are pretty high and it helps to keep the neighborhood in better shape but if these homes aren't considered affordable I imagine that these townhomes will be priced lower. Also, how often are gov't funded projects succesful in achieving what they set out to do??

Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM

25 posts, read 47,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewardiw View Post
I agree, but how high could the price point be if they're inteneded for people that can't afford to purchase a home? It would seem to me that there is plenty to rent in the neighborhood as it is. Luckily rentals are pretty high and it helps to keep the neighborhood in better shape but if these homes aren't considered affordable I imagine that these townhomes will be priced lower.
Great, Just what we need. Another suburban import that doesn't want rental units in a neighborhood they don't even live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewardiw View Post
Also, how often are gov't funded projects succesful in achieving what they set out to do??
Eastlake Village and Centennial Place are government funded projects that achieved what they set out to do.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 AM

You assume all renters can't afford a home. People rent for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, rent is even more expensive than a mortgage would be.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 AM

25 posts, read 47,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
You assume all renters can't afford a home. People rent for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, rent is even more expensive than a mortgage would be.
I don't make that assumption. In fact, I agree with you. For some renting is a better option than home ownership. I don't see "renter" as a dirty word, but understand that any vibrant neighborhood is going to have a mix of home owners and renters. How stale would Midtown or Virgina-Highland be if there were no renters? It's a symbiotic relationship that is for the most part misunderstood?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM

187 posts, read 403,836 times
The only positive I can think of is that the townhomes will be new and will replace those horrible Edgewood Apartements, which were some of the ugliest buildings ever constructed. They may be a catalyst for more investment on that street.

But this area really does not need more Section 8 housing. Edgewood already has plenty of it.

Hopefully the construction is quality and the price point isnt too low.

I know the Apartments on Boulevard have no price point, so the people live there for free. It would not be good if these townhomes are similar.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma.Police View Post
I don't make that assumption. In fact, I agree with you. For some renting is a better option than home ownership. I don't see "renter" as a dirty word, but understand that any vibrant neighborhood is going to have a mix of home owners and renters. How stale would Midtown or Virgina-Highland be if there were no renters? It's a symbiotic relationship that is for the most part misunderstood?
I was actually referring to the OP and should have stated such. We are in complete agreement, hug it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta