Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:38 PM

656 posts, read 1,356,676 times

Advertisements

Hey all, how you doing. First time posting in the Georgia forum. Well it looks like I am coming down in a few weeks to test with the Atlanta Police Department. This will be my first real time in the city and I was wondering if guys/gals could recommend a few locations to look at housing and apts. My price range would be around 200k, however I will probably rent for the first year.

What are some of the nicer areas of the city to live in? How's the commute itself in Atlanta? Anything like LA's traffic. Thanks for any tips and advice. Also feel free to recommend some nice spots to visit while I am down there, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:44 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,445 times
It really depends on your interests. There are a lot of great areas in the Atlanta area with their own personalities. Let us know about how you like to spend your free time and what is important to you and you will get some good responses. I moved here 4 years ago and I think it's great.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:43 PM

I like neighborhood bars/sportbars, outdoor activities, motorcycles, atvs, but I also want to be near shopping centers, more fast pace type life style. But safety definitely matters, doesn't have to be the house on the hill, but definitely don't want to be near slums either.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I like neighborhood bars/sportbars, outdoor activities, motorcycles, atvs, but I also want to be near shopping centers, more fast pace type life style. But safety definitely matters, doesn't have to be the house on the hill, but definitely don't want to be near slums either.
Does the Atlanta PD require employees to live in Fulton County--which covers a lot of ground, FWIW.

You might consider renting for a year to identify areas that interest you.
It sounds like you would enjoy Midtown or Decatur but purchasing in these areas would be more expensive.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Midtown and Virginia Highlands are good for restaurants and bars. If you like more of a surburban feel I would look north, to Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, etc... Places like Brookhaven might be worth a look too. The traffic here is bad in spots and for a much shorter time than LA. I know people here think that they have it bad, but they have never driven in LA where traffic seems to go on forever.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the tips. I don't think Atlanta PD has a residency requirement but I will have to check into that. Yeah renting probably is the best thing to do first to get my foot in the door and see what Atlanta is all about. Are homes in midtown pretty pricey now still?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 AM

I live in Midtown. The prices for condos have really dropped. I too lived in California (Bay Area) and the housing prices are no where near what they are out west. It would cost me at least twice as much to live the same lifestyle in San Francisco, LA or San Diego.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 AM

Yeah I will check out the prices in the midtown section. Midtown feel pretty safe for the most part? And how is parking?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Midtown is really changing. 20 years ago it was not all that great, today it is really the place to be in the Atlanta area. Most of the buildings have their own parking garages. Midtown is very walkable, so you probably won't need to drive your car to get around. You can usually find street parking pretty easily if you need it, but you should be able to walk to 30-40 restaurants or bars if you are anywhere near the midtown mile.

Check out Midtownmile.org to see the vision for the midtown area.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the info, midtown definitely seems very promising!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta