Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,822,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Blue collar? Sure. Redneck? Have you even been to Boston? Do you actually know what a "redneck" is?
Yes I have, and yes I do...rednecks and southies are two peas in a pod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 03:41 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,806,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not sure, to tell you the truth.

I DO know that we were able to integrate our schools without violence and riots here.

Chew on that.
As all the whites fled to the suburbs, not surprising.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
As all the whites fled to the suburbs, not surprising.
In the 60s? Not quite...that was a 70s phenomenon, in all cities.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,806,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
In the 60s? Not quite...that was a 70s phenomenon, in all cities.
No not ALL cities , just most american ones.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
No not ALL cities , just most american ones.
I didn't feel a need to clarify that point since we are discussing only American cities.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,539,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
You state the catch with Boston (or NY or SF or possibly LA) - they are all very pricy to say the least. If you are young (and are not and don't desire to live like a - college student) then you will be overpaying for housing and parking etc. Whereas if you are much older, you may have acquired the means, yet circumstances change and the big, bustling, vibrant cities are no longer attractive to you. The Atlanta area would seem to be the best option for the younger crowd (financially) and the more established group (lifestyle-wise).
good post... I might be entering this as I will be 30 next year... Young and living like a college student can be fine even if not saving that much, but then getting older (and I have always tended to hang with an older crowd (my roommate in Chicago was 40)) and in a long term relationship (might as well be married) even if you have the means to, the stuff in the city is less attractive. While I still like to do it, I'm not really interested in going out 3-4 nights a week like I used to. I'm actually beginning to like *gasp* being outside the city and just going in when I need to. I don't think I would like being in the middle of nowhere though or 4-5 hours from a MAJOR city like lots of the U.S. though. When I want to go out, I like to go out and I want the amenities only a few cities in the U.S. offer. Somewhere like Jacksonville or Charlotte wouldn't cut it for me...but Atlanta would do.

As for nightlife, Boston definitely has a lot of bars, and is charming, just never thought of it as particularly exciting compared to east coast counterparts like nyc or dc. Either would be a great place for singles.

Last edited by grapico; 10-30-2009 at 07:09 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,472,819 times
Wow, some of you either have skewed perceptions of Boston...or are stuck in the past. I apologize in advance for reviving a dead thread (the reason I'm doing so is because it was referenced here), but I had to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I think you know which one I'm talking about...you can try to justify it all you want, but South Boston is blue collar redneck - period.
Either you've never been to Southie, or you haven't been since the 1970s/1980s. Today Southie still holds onto its working-class roots, but it has seen a massive influx of young professionals. If you're a young, recent college grad and plan to move into the city then Southie or Allston/Brighton are the places to be.

Does this look like a Redneck habitat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I DO know that we were able to integrate our schools without violence and riots here.

Chew on that.
Again, this happened in the 70s...does Atlanta hold a flawless past when it comes to race relations? If so, congrats...you're one of the few out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Spend an evening with the charming residents of Beantown at a ball game in Fenway Park and you'll see yet another example of the city's 'charm and grace'.
Are all these cheap-shots a result of one poster being an ass? Fenway's an incredible place. It's in a very nice neighborhood which has several exciting developments going on. It's surrounded by great bars/clubs, and the park itself is historic and charming. Sure, some people will get heckled if they're wearing another team's jersey (and that's pretty much confined to bleacher seats)...but what's the harm in that? It's often all in good fun. I was out in the bleachers two summers ago, joking around with New York Mets fans, talking about our shared hate for the Yanks.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,405,539 times
I have to agree with South Boston. It has really gone through a change. All of my ex-co-workers live there. They are all young finance professionals.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM

23,487 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Are all these cheap-shots a result of one poster being an ass? Fenway's an incredible place. It's in a very nice neighborhood which has several exciting developments going on. It's surrounded by great bars/clubs, and the park itself is historic and charming. Sure, some people will get heckled if they're wearing another team's jersey (and that's pretty much confined to bleacher seats)...but what's the harm in that? It's often all in good fun. I was out in the bleachers two summers ago, joking around with New York Mets fans, talking about our shared hate for the Yanks.
How do you define 'heckling'? Does being called something that rhymes with runt and being told to place your hot dog somewhere besides your mouth for wearing a Braves t-shirt constitute heckling? Is it OK to say these things in the presence of pre-teen girls, too? Yes, I suppose that we have a different idea of such things down here, because I have never experienced anything close to that at Turner Field. Sorry for the 'cheap shot'.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,472,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How do you define 'heckling'? Does being called something that rhymes with runt and being told to place your hot dog somewhere besides your mouth for wearing a Braves t-shirt constitute heckling? Is it OK to say these things in the presence of pre-teen girls, too? Yes, I suppose that we have a different idea of such things down here, because I have never experienced anything close to that at Turner Field. Sorry for the 'cheap shot'.
I've never witnessed that...especially not towards a woman with a bunch of younger girls. And even then, if something like that happened I would expect it to happen between two idiotic drunk guys, one with a Sox hat and the other with a Yankees hat.

I'm sorry for the bad experience, but I can assure you it doesn't represent the majority of Bostonians.

I hope you won't base your opinion of our citizens off that single experience though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta