Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 03:11 PM

330 posts, read 1,085,087 times

Advertisements

Cant take much more of the cold up here in NY!! I also only get 6 months a year to make money, it would be nice to work all year long. Planning on moving south soon. From reading posts on here, it sounds like the business economy is better in Atlanta? Obviously most of my business would come from homeowners, so would more peple in atlanta have the disposable income for landscaping installs and maintenance (mowing) i currently do both installs and weekly mowing. What would be the best area to move to and start or buy a landscaping business? Why would Georgia be a better choice than Jax or Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 AM

45 posts, read 143,446 times
My landscaper says he is typically out of landscaping work most of the winter here in Atlanta. He too is from NY and says he is not out for as long as he was up there but still very slow. He finds other non-landscaping projects to keep him busy. I spent most of my life in south florida where landscaping truly is a year round business. If you want to be busy year round, FL might be the place to be.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Cant take much more of the cold up here in NY!! I also only get 6 months a year to make money, it would be nice to work all year long. Planning on moving south soon. From reading posts on here, it sounds like the business economy is better in Atlanta? Obviously most of my business would come from homeowners, so would more peple in atlanta have the disposable income for landscaping installs and maintenance (mowing) i currently do both installs and weekly mowing. What would be the best area to move to and start or buy a landscaping business? Why would Georgia be a better choice than Jax or Tampa?

Honestly, FL might be your best bet. It gets pretty cold in Atlanta in the winter. We have all four seasons here unlike FL! I would go with FL if I were you; however, during the summer, fall, and spring you will do well here in ATL!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
We have a small landscape business on the side. Business here totally dries up from late Fall through about early March.

Jax or Tampa would be a better bet to stay busy year round.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 PM

72 posts, read 174,842 times
Jax and Tampa are very different not only weather but the make up and feel of the towns. I lived in Jax for 20 years and 1/2 my family is from Tampa/Sarasota area. Jax is more like south GA than norther Fl and Tampa is all FL with allot of Midwest folks comming down for the winter. In Tampa it is opposite Atlanta the summer is the slow season or off peak time. One thing to keep in mind is all these areas have had drought and water / land scape restrictions (which forced many players out of business) over the last few years. The rains have come back but I would look into what restrictions are left over if any that may impact your business.

Atlanta

Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM

288 posts, read 959,278 times
Definitely would suggest Florida over Georgia, more so further south as even North Florida can get a bit chilly in the winter as well. The other problem is there are tons of well established landscapers in Atlanta who have picked up lots of customers throughout the city, so your gonna run into quite a bit of competition as well! I have a bud of mine who has a pretty successful landscape business in the metro area and he does say like Herr Bear mentioned that throughout the winter time work almost comes to a halt as far as upkeep goes, so they stick to doing like retainer walls, pool work stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta