Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times

Advertisements

We moved here from NY/NJ. don't miss the high taxes and snow. We like it here, but if we had no kids, we'd be happy in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Seriously, it's this sort of attitude that really turned me off to Atlanta. This smug, "anti-Yankee" attitude by locals. This preachy "evangelical" approach that is typical of the region -- it smacks of "if you're not with us, you're against us." Quite paranoid actually.

There's this perception among Southerners that we "Yankees" have a superiority complex. Go read the local DC, New York and Boston forums. There is barely a mention of "The South". If we thought we were so great, then you would probably see us bashing the South in those forums. Instead there's barely a peep.

But here in this Atlanta forum there's a constant stream of negativity, crime statistics and this paranoid, Confederate mindset.
There is a prevalent superiority complex that some have in the northeast regarding parts of the south (Florida does not count and Atlanta usually does not either). There are not many southerners nor is there a real southern influence in the northeast, so there is usually no reason for talk about the south ..... that's why.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
We moved here from NY/NJ. don't miss the high taxes and snow. We like it here, but if we had no kids, we'd be happy in Manhattan.
So, you say you'd be happy in Manhattan, so whatever snow that falls there would not be a real issue then? I think in the NY/NJ area you get "just enough" snow. When I used to live in upstate New York and interior Massachusetts, I routinely had winters with 2 to 4 times as much snow as the NY/NJ area, with a lot colder temperatures (in Upstate NY especially). Seeing green or yellow grass is a rarity during winter where I used to live, yet it would have been the norm for you. I view the NY/NJ area as at the boundary or just below the rain/snow line usually. And forget about DC and Baltimore, they have a very marginal winter, just like Atlanta, but slightly colder.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:02 AM

59 posts, read 121,713 times
Default Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast2GA View Post
I've been monitoring these boards for a few weeks now and read quite a bit of threads, both recent and from years ago. Most seem to be about people moving to Atlanta.

But, as someone from the Northeast who is planning to move to Atlanta, I was surprised to see some posts (in the thread "Relocating to Alpharetta,GA" by tanstaafl) where many from the Northeast were talking about moving back away from Atlanta.

So all you originally from the NE, are you planning to go back or do you think you made the right move to Atlanta?
I moved here thinking it would be the perfect city for me but I couldn't be more wrong, why? I hate how spread out everything is. There's no old established feeling here, everything is new, I miss the character of the north east and the non strip mall restaurants. Don't do it, there's a reason it's cheaper in the south, cause it sucks. Beautiful city but I just don't wanna live in it anymore.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
I moved here thinking it would be the perfect city for me but I couldn't be more wrong, why? I hate how spread out everything is. There's no old established feeling here, everything is new, I miss the character of the north east and the non strip mall restaurants. Don't do it, there's a reason it's cheaper in the south, cause it sucks. Beautiful city but I just don't wanna live in it anymore.
If everything is new and it's all strip malls and spread out, then you don't "live in the city". You apparently live in a suburb. Why do people move to suburbs and expect an urban lifestyle?

Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
We moved from central NJ to Cherokee County two years ago, and wouldn't move back if you paid us to. The weather is marginally better, taxes are 1/3 of what they'd be in NJ, home prices are easily 1/2, and my job pays the same. My kids are in an excellent school- far better than the schools in the semi-affordable areas of NJ, and our neighborhood is much more community/family focused.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Seriously, it's this sort of attitude that really turned me off to Atlanta. This smug, "anti-Yankee" attitude by locals. This preachy "evangelical" approach that is typical of the region -- it smacks of "if you're not with us, you're against us." Quite paranoid actually.

There's this perception among Southerners that we "Yankees" have a superiority complex. Go read the local DC, New York and Boston forums. There is barely a mention of "The South". If we thought we were so great, then you would probably see us bashing the South in those forums. Instead there's barely a peep.

But here in this Atlanta forum there's a constant stream of negativity, crime statistics and this paranoid, Confederate mindset.
Did my comments come out of thin air? No. Read the thread before you make your predictable, knee-jerk comments.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We moved from central NJ to Cherokee County two years ago, and wouldn't move back if you paid us to. The weather is marginally better, taxes are 1/3 of what they'd be in NJ, home prices are easily 1/2, and my job pays the same. My kids are in an excellent school- far better than the schools in the semi-affordable areas of NJ, and our neighborhood is much more community/family focused.
Thank you, Bob, for expressing the feelings of the overwhelming majority of Northeasterners that move here. I'm sure that your sense of contentment will drive some of the elitists on this thread to distraction.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
All of which you love to accentuate, reinforce and perpetuate.

D.C. is not the end all, be all oasis you like to portray it as.

Atlanta is not the hell hole, Confederate dominated, racially fractured place you like to portray it as either.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
All of which you love to accentuate, reinforce and perpetuate.

D.C. is not the end all, be all oasis you like to portray it as.

Atlanta is not the hell hole, Confederate dominated, racially fractured place you like to portray it as either.
In fairness to the Atlanta posters expressing their discontent with the city and wishing to go North, I felt exactly as they do now when I lived in McLean, VA. Couldn't wait to go South. My sister, who lived in Oakton, felt the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta