Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

127 posts, read 309,492 times

Advertisements

It's been years since I've visited Atlanta. When I did, I was only in the burbs, riding in cars. Wondering if I can live somewhat as questioned in downtown, and if so in what areas? Are services made available w/in downtown so one doesn't have to venture out to the burbs often?

About me: Relocating after decade in NYC, and some years abroad. I don't want to buy a car at this time though I do drive. I'm a commuter biker/avid walker. What I might like about Atlanta is the warm weather, lower cost of living, higher ed institutions, the int'l airport... Feel free to clarify any misconceptions that I may have. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM

248 posts, read 649,415 times
I'd say it depends on your everyday routines as to whether or not you can really do well without a car here. Are you going to be working downtown? Is your job near a MARTA station or is it on a street where you would feel safe biking?

Also, are you cool with biking in a town that does not yet really cater as much to bikers as other big cities do? Dedicated bike lanes are limited here and distracted drivers are plentiful.

I lived for about a year without a car in Midtown and only had to re-join the world of the driving when my son was born and I needed to take him to daycare daily. I loved being without a car and did so successfully, but we lived near a grocery store, library and a park so that made it easier.

I still go car free on the weekends as much as possible and I think that it's not that hard to do if you're willing to put up with some inconveniences. MARTA buses do go everywhere in the city, but getting around on the bus can take a loooong time due to the winding routes on our non-gridded Atlanta streets.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
I do it everyday

Though I'll agree with reet in saying that drivers have no respect for bikers in this city.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
You can always "rent" a Zip Car when you really need a car.

Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

Old 11-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Wow these replies are better than I'd expected! I definitely need to visit the area soon. See I have just begun to consider Atlanta as a possible city for living. The others, and fading fast, are LA, San Diego and Tempe. Atlanta's cost of living put it in the running. What can you say about rental prices and general cost of living in areas where such urban living is possible? Do you feel that urban pulse in downtown Atlanta, if you know what I mean?

If I don't settle in one of these cities I'll likely go traveling abroad for 3 months, and/or return to working and living abroad for awhile. Thank you for your input.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,093,187 times
I keep my search around Midtown and the surrounding areas like Inman Park and Candler Park. You can easily access the subway and bus system. www.itsmarta.com

Here are some websites to explore:

http://midtownatlanta.org
Midtown Alliance
Piedmont Park Conservancy
www.inmanpark.org
www.candlerpark.org

Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

248 posts, read 649,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
What can you say about rental prices and general cost of living in areas where such urban living is possible? Do you feel that urban pulse in downtown Atlanta, if you know what I mean?
You can find a broad range of rental prices in the urban areas of Midtown and Downtown. Affordability is out there, though you may not be living in the sleekest, newest space while you save money.

We live in an affordable rental condo in the Peachtree Street corridor of Midtown, right in the heart of what I consider to be the most livable of the compact, truly urban areas in Atlanta.

I do feel that urban pulse when I'm walking around Midtown to go to the High Museum, taking the bus to Atlantic Station for shopping or taking the train downtown to Centennial Park and a restaurant. I really enjoy that feeling. It's certainly not an urban experience on the level of what I've had in NYC and Paris, but it's as close as you can get in the Southeast US as far as I know.

Come check Atlanta out. Test out biking and walking through the city to the kind of spots you would go regularly. Everyone's got a particular vision for livability and I think that you can't really know if a place matches yours until you've been immersed in it.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Ok Midtown and Downtown it is. I'll check it out. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: