Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:34 PM

75 posts, read 553,812 times

Advertisements

Are there other ways or companies besides Pods or UHaul that do long distance moves. I heard something about bidding on a price...does anyone have any info? thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Just don't do what I did and use a company like National Moving Network. All of their people are currently on trial for massive fraud after being investigated by the FBI. Luckily I figured out the scam before they actually did my move...I figured it out after they didn't show up on the first day.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 AM

109 posts, read 392,567 times
There are other companies out there other than PODS that are less expensive but use similiar containers. I would check around.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess View Post
Are there other ways or companies besides Pods or UHaul that do long distance moves. I heard something about bidding on a price...does anyone have any info? thanx
Just as an aside ... even U-Haul can end up costing quite a bit depending on the length of your move and the number of boxes, etc., you end up buying.

We needed two trucks (26' and 17') and two car trailers, and our move with U-Haul back in 2004 ended up costing roughly $4500 for a 1200-mile move.

Much of that was charges for the trucks and trailers and associated mileage, around $2000 as I recall, but it also included two hotel stays and food along the way, gasoline, 200-300 boxes (mostly U-Haul mediums, maybe 40 smalls, and a mix of specialty boxes), and paying a crew on the Atlanta/Smyrna end to help us unload (there's no way we wanted to unload the trucks all by ourselves in mid September in Atlanta). We had a couple dozen people on the home end for packing the trucks.

For do-it-yourself moving, the trucks are only a piece of the puzzle (and the overall expenses).

Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Thanx for the replies. I was going to use Smart Box...they bought Public Storage. The cost would be about $2500. My husband says get a U Haul but I figure it would cost just as much with the cost of truck rental...gas...paying help to load and unload. I'd rather pay Smart Box and let them do the bulk of the work. I thought I read on here something about shipping companies that take bids. I can't remember how it worked but now that I am interested.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:35 PM

744 posts, read 2,483,291 times
I site you might want to check out is Clark Howard's , the consumer advocate guy who is on the radio and tv. He has talked quite extensively about the rip off movers pull and how to avoid being taken to the cleaners with them. ClarkHoward.com Home: Save More, Spend Less and Avoid Rip-Offs on clarkhoward.com .

Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanx...I'll check out the site.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,763 times
Let's face it, interstate moving is not cheap no matter what you do. It is day four for me of having movers here and I am amazed at the amount of supplies used-boxes, paper, tape, covers, plastic. We have a national company here with a very good reputation and it is still a bit frightening watching them carry out your things. I am impressed at how well they pack the trucks to avoid any shifting so if you are doing it yourself, make sure to pack your truck well.

Although I had tried to clear out as much as possible by donating and throwing things away, I am still amazed (and dismayed) by how much we still have.

Best advice- reduce your stuff as much as possible, do your homework comparing costs of all options and then consider reliability factors.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,983 times
I used atlanta peachtree movers and had good results with them. They wrapped up everything and didn't waste time getting stuff loaded and unloaded.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Let's face it, interstate moving is not cheap no matter what you do.

Best advice- reduce your stuff as much as possible, do your homework comparing costs of all options and then consider reliability factors.

Good luck.
That's very good advice. The only way to move long distance cheaply is not to move your stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: