Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,767 times

Advertisements

I'm considering putting in hard wood floors in the bedroom of my new condo in West Midtown. I'd like to consider "going green," but most sites I read recommend only bamboo or cork as truly renewable options. (I'd also consider reclaimed wood, but it always seems way, way too expensive.) I'm also open to other hardwoods.

I'm looking for any advice on the following matters:

(1) Does anyone have any insights into the use of bamboo or cork in flooring? How well do they hold up over time? How might they fare in the ATL climate?

(2) Are there affordable stores that sell cork? I'm not turning up a lot of places so far, but I'd love to hear any suggestions for stores to check out.

(3) In case I ditch the cork/bamboo idea entirely, what stores would people recommend for hardwood flooring, where you can get the best bang for your buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM

83 posts, read 311,235 times
Been about a year with Bamboo and holding good. For me the cost at Costco was the clinching factor.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbravo View Post
Been about a year with Bamboo and holding good. For me the cost at Costco was the clinching factor.
Ditto on this. I've known two people who got the bamboo at Costco (there are other options there as well) and they like it a lot. It has pre-attached sub material on it, too. If you're a Costco member they occasionally put out coupon books that have coupons for the wood flooring too, making it a really good price.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:32 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I've always scratched my head on the "bamboo is green" theory. Yes, it grows quickly and therefore is sustainable, but when it's being harvested in third-world countries by folks making 10 cents an hour, and then being shipped thousands of miles to get here, how "green" is that? I'd do some research into where the particular material is harvested (and how) if you're really looking to "be green".

That said, one thing to bear in mind is that bamboo isn't as hard as you may think- it scratches and dents fairly easily.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 AM

23,441 posts, read 44,050,291 times
I've been very pleased with Floor and Decor. They are located on the SB I-85 access road between Clairmont and N Druid Hills Rd exits.
They have some phenomenal closeout deals there, and cork is available.
I assume that you are aware of this, but in the case of many condos, the HOA requires cork subflooring in units above the first floor.

Floor & Decor Outlets-America - Atlanta, GA, 30329 - Citysearch

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM

23,441 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

That said, one thing to bear in mind is that bamboo isn't as hard as you may think- it scratches and dents fairly easily.
True IME as well; I also find that the fibrous nature of the wood causes 'feathering' after some wear.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
True IME as well; I also find that the fibrous nature of the wood causes 'feathering' after some wear.
I'm interested as my husband's been attracted by the bamboo at Costco. Do you think it would stand up to wear from two golden retrievers? I know some softer flooring materials tend to scratch from dog toenails, etc.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm interested as my husband's been attracted by the bamboo at Costco. Do you think it would stand up to wear from two golden retrievers? I know some softer flooring materials tend to scratch from dog toenails, etc.
Get a sample and slide a key across it- that'll give you an indication of how it'll hold up to dogs. Every bamboo sample I've ever done that to has been sorely disappointing.

Something else to consider- the scratch resistance has a lot to do with the finish coating- not just the wood species. Anything you're buying for $2/sf at Home Depot or Costco isn't likely to have a high-end coating.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I've always scratched my head on the "bamboo is green" theory. Yes, it grows quickly and therefore is sustainable, but when it's being harvested in third-world countries by folks making 10 cents an hour, and then being shipped thousands of miles to get here, how "green" is that? I'd do some research into where the particular material is harvested (and how) if you're really looking to "be green".

This is actually a great point to consider, Bob. One would almost argue that the "greenest" wood floor for our area would be pine flooring, given the rate at which people cut them down around here!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I'm considering putting in hard wood floors in the bedroom of my new condo in West Midtown. I'd like to consider "going green," but most sites I read recommend only bamboo or cork as truly renewable options. (I'd also consider reclaimed wood, but it always seems way, way too expensive.) I'm also open to other hardwoods.

I'm looking for any advice on the following matters:

(1) Does anyone have any insights into the use of bamboo or cork in flooring? How well do they hold up over time? How might they fare in the ATL climate?

(2) Are there affordable stores that sell cork? I'm not turning up a lot of places so far, but I'd love to hear any suggestions for stores to check out.

(3) In case I ditch the cork/bamboo idea entirely, what stores would people recommend for hardwood flooring, where you can get the best bang for your buck?
If you want to buy some super cheap reclaimed heart of pine plank flooring, I will be tearing ours up in about a month! It is slightly over 600sqft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta