Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,218 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My fiance and I are looking to move to Atlanta and the surrounding areas sometime in July after our wedding. We're currently down here looking for employment for when we do make the move. However, we are stuck in trying to find decent/reasonably priced living that is nice and safe for our daughter. We are looking for something that is at least a 2br for no more than $725/mo. I know we're not going to be getting the best of the best but it's something until we get situated down here and can afford a home. Our main concerns would be

1. Price $725/2br>
2. Safety
3. Commute time (to the city) 45min> bus
4. Parking (doesn't need to be ample but don't wanna be a mad dash for parking )

Everything else seems to be fair game besides the a fore mentioned concerns. I thank you all in advance for taking the time to assist us. I figured that it was time to stop lurking and create an account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 AM

64 posts, read 195,775 times
Looking for work? this is a big city, good luck on the job search! its hard out here...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 AM

6 posts, read 22,479 times
Also consider areas that are serviced by The Marta Rail System, lot faster than the bus.

Good luck,

b

Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashad View Post
Also consider areas that are serviced by The Marta Rail System, lot faster than the bus.

Good luck,

b

Didn't even know about the MARTA rail system, thanks for that little gem

This is harder than we thought. We've seen a lot of potential places but once we cross reference them online through apartmentratings.com or google ratings they are badmouth horrendously. If it was just my fiance and I then it wouldn't really be THAT much of a problem, but I am not trying to raise my daughter in a place where the upkeep isn't on par.

We've checked out a place in Stockbridge that was nice and we're going to check in Marietta tomorrow. Anywhere specific we should stay away from in those areas?

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,666,305 times
Public transportation is very difficult in both those areas. To really benefit from MARTA, you need to limit your searches to Fulton or DeKalb. Isn't Stockbridge in Henry County? If so, I think there is no public transportation at all.

Your price range is tricky for Metro Atlanta.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,814,062 times
I would be more concerned about finding a job than where to live at this point.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
$725 for a 2br isn't going to put you into safe areas with good schools unless you're willing to increase your commute. You could go out into Cherokee County and find something that works, but the commute wouldn't be 45 minutes unless you go in before rush hour.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Considering your criteria, I recommend that you look for apartments in the following areas:

-Roswell
-Alpharetta
-Johns Creek
-North Druid Hills Area
-Defoors Road Area
-Lindbergh/Peachtree Hills
-Parts of Buford Highway
-Chamblee
-Doraville
-Sandy Springs
-Dunwoody
-Perimeter Center Area
-Tucker

*You may have to increase your price point a bit, however, if you look thoroughly and extensively, it is possible that you could find quite a few good deals (Many people don't realize that it is actually a "renter's market" out there as well right now!).

Old 03-10-2010, 07:55 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Considering your criteria, I recommend that you look for apartments in the following areas:

-Roswell
-Alpharetta
-Johns Creek
-North Druid Hills Area
-Defoors Road Area
-Lindbergh/Peachtree Hills
-Parts of Buford Highway
-Chamblee
-Doraville
-Sandy Springs
-Dunwoody
-Perimeter Center Area
-Tucker

*You may have to increase your price point a bit, however, if you look thoroughly and extensively, it is possible that you could find quite a few good deals (Many people don't realize that it is actually a "renter's market" out there as well right now!).
Actually, there are some apartment deals out there if you're willing to do the legwork...the market is very competitive right now. In N Druid Hills, a friend of mine that was paying $1400.00 a mo for a 2 BR on Sheridan Rd decided to lower his housing cost and was able to negotiate a $700.00 mo lease for a 2 BR in the complex next door. So, he doesn't have the granite countertops and fabulous amenities anymore...but I don't think that much bothers him when he writes out his rent check. Same (great) location, half the rent. Here's the complex that he moved to:

Briar Hill Apartments - Home

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, there are some apartment deals out there if you're willing to do the legwork...the market is very competitive right now. In N Druid Hills, a friend of mine that was paying $1400.00 a mo for a 2 BR on Sheridan Rd decided to lower his housing cost and was able to negotiate a $700.00 mo lease for a 2 BR in the complex next door. So, he doesn't have the granite countertops and fabulous amenities anymore...but I don't think that much bothers him when he writes out his rent check. Same (great) location, half the rent. Here's the complex that he moved to:

Briar Hill Apartments - Home

I'm glad you chimed in Lovin--I know there are some great ideas out there.

Metro Atlanta has lots of apartments near MARTA (bus and/or rail) that are in safe areas.

To the OP--the North Druid Hills Area is great area to live (meets your criteria as well).

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta