Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,635 times

Advertisements

I am an African-American, gay, 35 y.o, professional, male moving to Atlanta from New York City (seems like a trend, right?) within approximately 2 months and have already secured employment. I am not a native New Yorker, but have lived in NYC for 10 years - Brooklyn, 8, and Manhattan, 2, respectively. My questions are:

1. Is Atlanta TRULY the Gay mecca everyone says it is? (Atlanta was very recently ranked as "The Gayest City in America.")

2. Is Atlanta still the mecca it was to PROFESSIONAL AFRICAN-AMERICANS, say 20 years ago for example, even to this day - 2010?

With the 2 aforementioned in mind,

3. Will a gay, African-American, male find Atlanta to TRULY and HONESTLY be and succeed in the...gay, African-American mecca it is so often portrayed in the media to be?

Your comments are much appreciated in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,091,753 times
IMO, Mecca is always over rated and no one or no place can ever live up to that.

Is Atlanta a very gay friendly city? Yes

Will you succeed in Atlanta? That is up to you and how you conduct your life.

Magazine ranks Atlanta as America's gayest city *| ajc.com

Atlanta is a big melting pot of previous residents from everywhere. That is what gives us our flavor and separates us from the stereotypes of the south.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:11 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,822 times
You will be fine. Atlanta is a big metropolitan city. There have been several threads (most recently "loud italian catholic from jersey" or the generic "Cali native worried about moving to the south") where people seem unusually concerned about how they may be received in Atlanta. I'm kind of puzzled by all of this...Atlanta is an international/cosmo city. It's not like you're moving from NYC to Macon, GA( no offense to those from Macon) but you get my drift. There's only maybe 15 or so "major" metropolitian cities in the US of significance and Atlanta is one of them so all of these cities will have many things in common. There's a big gay, asian, irish, catholic, whatever you're looking for presence in all big metro areas. I've criss-crossed this country so many times and really, people are people, there are very very very small differences in the way people behave or do things etc.we all live in America,we all have been socialized to think or act in pretty similar fashions(whole other thread-but you get my point) and the minor differences are none of consequence.
(Gumboy-my commentary isn't meant to singleyou out just using your question to make a point) To more specifically answer your question, all these labels, Black Mecca, Gay Mecca etc. like George said are irrevelant, If you're smart, friendly, have great communication skills, driven and have a positive attitude about life you can thrive anywhere. There are gay people all over the metro area but the Midtown area has "traditionally" been an area where you will have more gay people living and can readily see more gay friendly bars/clubs. Like George, good luck with the move and welcome.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,452 times
There are lots of gay people in Atlanta. A fair minority of those are black. There's a pretty vivid nightlife, no shortage of gay clubs and bars, and most people are sufficiently self-absorbed not to care about your particular quirks. Beyond that, it is what you make of it.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM

304 posts, read 931,718 times
[quote=George Chong;13404537]IMO, Mecca is always over rated and no one or no place can ever live up to that.

Is Atlanta a very gay friendly city? Yes

Will you succeed in Atlanta? That is up to you and how you conduct your life.

Magazine ranks Atlanta as America's gayest city *| ajc.com

Atlanta is a big melting pot of previous residents from everywhere. That is what gives us our flavor and separates us from the stereotypes of the south.

Good luck
------------------------
Hi George!
Fancy meeting you here.
:-)
--Lynn

Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 AM

10 posts, read 40,029 times
And I would recommend going to www.meetup.com and joining some gay groups that may fit your lifestlye and perhaps be a good place to meet friends. I don't think that you would feel out of place or anything like that.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,664 times
Im a black gay male man and trust Atlanta is home to the biggest african american gay culture and the Biggest african american gay pride. You will be fine here, The city is very Tolerant of gays. Yes it was named the Gayiest city by Advocate magazine. But Atlanta has alot to offer, im only speaking through my shoes not anyone elses. Go in this with no expectation and you wont be disappointed.Your experience may be different from what you heard from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: