Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 AM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmommy View Post
The Cobb County school "trifecta" is Sope Creek Elementary, Dickerson Middle, and Walton High. However, there are several other elementary schools that feed into Dickerson and Walton that are also excellent, such as Timber Ridge and Mt. Bethel. Any of these three elementary schools is as good as a good private school.
Actually in terms of performance and current desirability for transplants I would say it's Mt. Bethel, Dickerson, and Walton. If you are going by number of nearby mansions and overall affluence, then Sope Creek would be it, but Mt. Bethel beats out Sope Creek in terms of performance and test scores. Then again, both of these schools are so highly rated it's basically nitpicking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM

14 posts, read 39,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen View Post
hope no one minds if I jump onto this thread (my thread didn't seem to go anywhere

My husband will be working in North Atlanta...zip 30339...on a street called The exchange...really trying to find out if the commute is reasonable from the areas that feed into the Walton and Pope high schools...we would like to keep his commute less than 20 minutes...some of the homes are 12 miles from work....no high way driving though since he will be coming from the east towards 75....is this going to be ok for us? We want the best schools possible and can spend up to about 650K
thanks...these threads are very helpful
Theresa
Yes, a commute from East Cobb would be very doable -- about 15 to 20 minutes max unless there's a major accident. And possibly much less depending on which part of East Cobb you live in. Where I live, it would be about a 10 minute drive.

You can buy in the Walton school district with that kind of money. In fact, if you have time to look and don't need a fancy Mcmansion, you can go a good bit lower, say $400,000 range. These will be older homes 70s and 80s (but with lots of trees and nice size lots).

Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Actually in terms of performance and current desirability for transplants I would say it's Mt. Bethel, Dickerson, and Walton. If you are going by number of nearby mansions and overall affluence, then Sope Creek would be it, but Mt. Bethel beats out Sope Creek in terms of performance and test scores. Then again, both of these schools are so highly rated it's basically nitpicking...
I haven't tracked the latest test scores. My son is at Sope Creek and I'm very pleased. I have friends with children at both Mt. Bethel and Timber Ridge who also have very good things to say. In fact, I hear Timber Ridge may be the best of all three because it is so small.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 PM

117 posts, read 434,750 times
thanks lawnmommy
we are thinking of buying a older home precisely for the large lots and trees and then doing some remodeling...so we will look at a pretty big range of prices when we get there...it is a relief to know that the commute should be fine since we are so focused on that area

Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM

also what are your thoughts on east side elementary...comments on another site lead me to believe that it is overcrowded and poorly run?

Old 06-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Default East Side Elementary

Quote:
also what are your thoughts on east side elementary...comments on another site lead me to believe that it is overcrowded and poorly run?
It does not have the same reputation that other elementary schools in the area have. Home prices in that school district will be lower, but home values there won't rise as rapidly either. I would concentrate on Timber Ridge, Mt. Bethel and Sope Creek.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:19 PM

thanks for confirming our thinking...we will concentrate on those elementary schools...gives us plenty to choose from and we are happy knowing that the schools are excellent
have a great weekend
Theresa

Old 06-23-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
thanks for confirming our thinking...we will concentrate on those elementary schools...gives us plenty to choose from and we are happy knowing that the schools are excellent
have a great weekend
Theresa
Your welcome. Good luck house hunting.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:59 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmommy View Post
I haven't tracked the latest test scores. My son is at Sope Creek and I'm very pleased. I have friends with children at both Mt. Bethel and Timber Ridge who also have very good things to say. In fact, I hear Timber Ridge may be the best of all three because it is so small.
Yeah, Mt. Bethel has the highest test scores but Mt. Bethel is also the highest population of any elementary school in the entire county I believe... But Timber Ridge, Mt. Bethel, and Sope Creek are all really good.

East Side (the other walton elementary) is slightly less desirable than those three but still an excellent school.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 AM

I found some interesting info on the schooldigger web site...it ranks all of the schools based on test scores, teacher ratio, etc...it is a pretty subjective ranking (aren't they all!!) but it is a good way to get a quick comparison...anyway here is how some of the schools in marietta stacked up in a statewide comparison
elementary(ranked in order)

Tritt 6
Shallowford 8
Mt Bethel 12
sope Creek 17
Davis 22
Murdock 30
Mt View 44

middle school
Dickerson 2
Hightower 4
Mabry 7
Dodgen 13

I havent heard anyone mention Tritt or Shallowford which are both smaller than many of the others and both feed into Hightower which also scores well...any thoughts on these schools...I know that they both feed into Pope which seems like it is quite good as well
thanks
Theresa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta