Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 36,643 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a place that is on the border of Clarkston and Scottdale. I know that Clarkston is a dangerous place to live, but the place I am looking at is on the outskirts and almost into Scottdale, which I heard is safe. I am moving from Richmond, VA this June and need to find a decent place to rent as close to emory as possible. We would like 3 bedrooms with a fenced in yard for less than 1100. The area I am looking at is at Verdi Way, Clarkston, GA 30021. Any help would be appreciated! In Richmond, my girlfriend originall lived on the bad side of the river, so we would like to avoid that experience again if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I looked at a map. Verdi Way seems to be between E. Ponce de Leon and McLendon and not far from i285.
You can check with Clarkston PD to be certain.
Welcome to the City of Clarkston

My general impression of this area is there would be some transitional aspects. To verify the crime or lack thereof you can contact Clarkston PD or you might need to contact DeKalb PD--probably DeKalb PD.
Welcome to the City of Clarkston

If you want another option there are homes for rent within your price range in the North Druid Hills/Briarcliff Rd/LaVista Rd area---about 10 minutes from Emory.

hth

Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 11,790 times
Stay out of Clarkston/Stone Mountain/Tucker/Dekalb County! My husband has worked in Clarkston for 3 years now. We live in Conyers (I have lived here my whole life). He drives about 40 minutes each way. We are still just a short drive away to all the entertainment and attractions without the stress and irritation that comes with living there. The Emory area is a nice place to live if you want to be in the city but it is still in the city, after all, so there are increased risks with living there and it is more expensive. I wouldn't live anywhere in Dekalb County. Ever. Especially with children. Most people that work in Atlanta (anything inside the perimeter/I-285, Clarkston included) live a little ways out in the suburbs and commute. It's the best balance of family life, work and recreation.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
The Briarcliff Heights neighborhood and the surrounding area are extremely safe. Many CDC and Emory employees and students live here.
The idea that 'all of DeKalb County' is uninhabitable is just not true.

The OP might find a home within her budget in Tucker, too.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 PM

We really want as close to Emory as possible. I know that living in the city is usually more dangerous, but I have heard that the are around Emory and to the north is pretty safe. I have lived in badish areas here and want to live in a place where it is ok to be outside your house at midnight. klyh19: I do not want to drive that long to make it to work everyday which is why we want close to Emory. I do appreciate the info though. I know that Scottdale/druid hills/north dekalb/decatur/avondale estates is suppose to be OK. I have heard to stay away from farther south than that in the area. Thanks to those who have posted and if anyone has specific info about the area I would really appreciate it.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 PM

btw TakeAHike, I am a he not a she.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM

119 posts, read 302,191 times
Verdi Way is in the Clarkston zip code, 30021, but not within the city limits of Clarkston. For crime statistics you can look at the following web site:

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

Just remember that the crimes on the map are only for unicorporated DeKalb. The blank spots don't mean there isn't crime in areas within Clarkston city limits, it just means those areas are covered by the Clarkston PD and thus not reported by DeKalb PD.

As you can see, your particular neighborhood has been mostly crime free for the past few months. However, the larger area around there has a good bit of crime. The neighborhood in which Verdi Way is located is all single family homes from what I recall. The whole area bordered by McLendon, East Ponce, and 285 is about the same. A friend of my family's has lived on Creekdale for years, and I don't ever recall them saying anything about problems with crime in their immediate area. I think burglaries, car break-ins and car thefts are usually the extent of the type of crime you should expect around your home. If you've lived in bad parts of town before, then you should know things you can do to make yourself less likely to be the victim of one of those crimes.

The larger area around you is where you would be more likely to experience violent crime, like armed robberies. If you want to live as close as possible to Emory and live in a safe place, I think you can do better than Clarkston/Scottdale. I wouldn't really call that area living in the city either. If you want to be outside your home at midnight, there is not much that's appealing in the immediate area. You certainly won't be walking to shopping and nightlife, unless it's the local convenience store.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:01 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,757 times
drhodesvt, I live in Scottdale and jog through that neighborhood all the time. I don't have stats, but my perception is that that street is probably fairly peaceful. I personally would not be afraid to live there, but if your $1100 can go towards a rental closer to Emory off of N. Decatur Rd. I'd look there first (the area would be a definite upgrade). Feel free to PM me for more info around here. I live in a nice subdivision surrounded by some iffy areas and have a feel for this place.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 AM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhodesvt View Post
I am looking at a place that is on the border of Clarkston and Scottdale. I know that Clarkston is a dangerous place to live, but the place I am looking at is on the outskirts and almost into Scottdale, which I heard is safe. I am moving from Richmond, VA this June and need to find a decent place to rent as close to emory as possible. We would like 3 bedrooms with a fenced in yard for less than 1100. The area I am looking at is at Verdi Way, Clarkston, GA 30021. Any help would be appreciated! In Richmond, my girlfriend originall lived on the bad side of the river, so we would like to avoid that experience again if possible.

That's actually a nice area/neighborhood. I use to drive through it at times when I was a graduate student at Emory--I think the area is a great location and benefits from proximity to Emory, Decatur, and Avondale Estates. Even though it has a Clarkston address, it is not within the city limits of Clarkston nor is the neighborhood near the "bad" parts of Clarkston.

I've always felt that the neighborhood/area was a well-kept secret. Most people don't realize how nice the homes, streets, and neighborhoods are in the McLendon Drive corridor. The area bounded by I-285 to the East, Valley Brook Road to the West, Hwy 78 to the North, and Church Street/East Ponce de Leon to the South (with McLendon Drive down the Middle!) is beautiful, safe, and peaceful.

Map of [800-900] Verdi Way Clarkston, Georgia by MapQuest

Like I said before, the area has a Clarkston address, but it really should be seen as the place where Emory/North Decatur/North Druid Hills, Clarkston, Scottdale, and Avondale Estates meet. It can also be seen as an extension of the Emory/North Decatur corridor since it is just south of North DeKalb Mall.

Most people commenting so far more than likely have never been to the neighborhood or driven through it extensively. People hear "Clarkston" and they freak. Most would be surprised if they actually knew the area fully.

Three last things...1) The area benefits due to its proximity to Emory and points further intown...2) It is a safe and affordable area that will see a LOT of interest once the economy picks up (mark my words!). This will apply to Clarkston proper as well. Getting a place there now would be wise...3) Believe it or not, (it's just good to know this) the area is zoned for Druid Hills High School (good/great), Shamrock Middle (good), and McLendon Elementary (good/decent).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM

Lots of good information. I have been looking at the this area (more closer to scottdale and druidhills than clarkston) and it seems pretty safe and what I am more or less used to in the area I live at now. What I referred to about going out at midnight is that I lived in area's where it was OK to live, but you really don't even go out to your car at night to get something. I just really want to be able to feel safe as we hope to be starting a family in the near future. I have actually found a place that I hope to get that is a little farther west of the 1st place and north, located on Anthony drive. Aries: I know what you mean about people "freaking" about hearing a location. Most people in Richmond hear southside and think you are in the ghetto, but although there are a lot of dangerous areas there, you can find huge beutiful houses and really nice neighborhoods. Richmond has this weird thing where you are in a nice area then go a block and you need to turn around very quickly before you get shot at. (Happened to me twice thanks to Mapquest directions.) Thanks for all the help and keep the info coming. If anyone knows of places for rent in the area let me know. We want to move in June, which I am running into people not willing to hold the place for that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta