Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Tara?
Love it 13 76.47%
Hate it 0 0%
Indifferent 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 AM

187 posts, read 404,016 times

Advertisements

I am interested in people's opinions of the Tara Theatre on Chesire Bridge Road.

Here is my opinion:

Such a cool little theatre. While the Tara may not be aesthetically pleasing, it is very unique for being just a movie theater. It’s "modern" architectural style has largely been preserved from when it was built in 1968. It has a unique name (how many movie theatres have a name like this?). It’s been around long enough that it has become a landmark for the city. It could have the potential to be historically significant.

I think it should be converted into a concert/live music venue, and play off its unique name and appearance. “Live from the groovy Tara Theatre in Atlanta”. The parking lot around it should be re-developed into a parking deck for people to tailgate pre-concert and a mini bar-district for after the concert.

I think the Tara is unique, and unique-ness is so lacking in Atlanta. I am just worried that given Atlanta’s historical view that old = bad and all new development = good, the Tara’s days are numbered. Especially since its approaching that age where people start to say “redvelopment!”, movie theaters now have 24 screens instead of 4, and it was built in a style that everybody loves to hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
I am interested in people's opinions of the Tara Theatre on Chesire Bridge Road.

Here is my opinion:

Such a cool little theatre. While the Tara may not be aesthetically pleasing, it is very unique for being just a movie theater. It’s "modern" architectural style has largely been preserved from when it was built in 1968. It has a unique name (how many movie theatres have a name like this?). It’s been around long enough that it has become a landmark for the city. It could have the potential to be historically significant.

I think it should be converted into a concert/live music venue, and play off its unique name and appearance. “Live from the groovy Tara Theatre in Atlanta”. The parking lot around it should be re-developed into a parking deck for people to tailgate pre-concert and a mini bar-district for after the concert.

I think the Tara is unique, and unique-ness is so lacking in Atlanta. I am just worried that given Atlanta’s historical view that old = bad and all new development = good, the Tara’s days are numbered. Especially since its approaching that age where people start to say “redvelopment!”, movie theaters now have 24 screens instead of 4, and it was built in a style that everybody loves to hate.
They show films that are of interest to me.
I know I enjoyed some good music at 'Broadview Plaza'--Sydney Marcus --whatever they are calling that now. I would be in favor of another live music ventue in this area. 'Asleep at the Wheel'--I remember that concert.

I agree that redevelopment will be forthcoming--hopefully those who live in the area will have input into the process. I haven't driven by in a while--I know I enjoy touring the area and see a number of interesting places that I would like to explore.
What are they doing with the Jr. Varsity--lol--time for a trip to Home Depot for some new plants.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:12 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I totally agree. I love the theater's 'throwback' style, and if not for the Tara, we might well be twidding our thumbs waiting for some first-rate films that might never make it into widespread distribution.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
What are they doing with the Jr. Varsity--
Sadly, the building sits empty and neglected. I have heard rumors, however, that the city might be making overtures to the Gordy family for a possible re-opening.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
My favorite theater.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sadly, the building sits empty and neglected. I have heard rumors, however, that the city might be making overtures to the Gordy family for a possible re-opening.
That would be a pleasant surprise. I tend to believe that there will be a number of residents of the area that will want to be involved in plans for the future.

Rhodes Bakery--I enjoyed some great birthday cakes from them.
http://www.rhodesfamilybakery.com/

Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 AM

83 posts, read 113,404 times
As someone who lives in the area...I think it should stay as is. Traffic at that intersection can be horrible in the best of times, and I am quite sure that LLCC (Lindbergh LaVista Corridor Coalition) would be opposed to anything that would add traffic especially with the new townhomes coming online now across from Publix. It serves its purpose of showing the type of films that might not get seen at "mega" cinemas. Also, added noise is a big issue (anyone remember club 112???)

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
The place is totally outdated and I like it that way. It shows movies I want to see, it's easy to get in and out of, and I've never had a problem there with loud and/or rowdy patrons. This and Landmark Midtown Arts Cinema are my default theaters.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
What I like about Tara Cinemas:

They get nothing but the good artsy, indy, international movies I can never seem to get enough of.

What I don't like about Tara Cinemas:

-It is situated at one of the most inconvenient to get to lots in the entire city.
-The building is basically a gigantic version of the old Fotomat film drop off kiosks that used to dot strip mall parking lots all over America, thus contributing to the unfortunate title of "Ugliest street in Atlanta" that Chesire Bridge holds in my book. Then again, Tara is also one of the reasons why I list Chesire Bridge as "The most interesting street in Atlanta"

Old 03-28-2011, 02:17 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
What is there not to love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta