Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 03:09 PM

126 posts, read 224,477 times

Advertisements

homeowners with no home defense = easy victim...
home alarm systems aren't expensive, but can be.
shotguns are not expensive either.

-a|ex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times
For anyone following the link provided by a previous poster: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

The definitions of the areas is provided in: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...as_Defined.pdf

The home page of sorts is:
CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2009

An area like Philadelphia is listed twice -- such as once with "Philadelphia + PA only counties" [smaller area], and another time with Philadelphia + all metro counties [the real metro. relevant NJ and DE counties included]. I suppose it is actually quite interesting.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Home invaders threaten to shoot couple's 6-month-old baby *| ajc.com

This is the kind of thing that ATLGreg mentioned in a post, it may have been earlier in this thread, about the younger generation of criminals being more brash and heartless. One of the robbers while invading a home actually had the nerve to threaten to shoot the couple's six month old baby. Luckily no one was even injured in the incident, but the overall cruelty behind this crime makes it just as bad as if a murder occured. Imagine if the robber actually went through with the threat (which I wouldn't put it past these low-lifes), that would make national news and further scar Atlanta's reputation.

We not only need to get rid of the crime in Atlanta but also the general evil, and the whole thug culture that many young folks think is cool. Until then, maybe I'm better off staying in Japan. How does Tokyo, one of the most populated cities in the world have so little crime while a city of half-million has so much? When comparing Atlanta's crime to cities like NYC, LA, or Dallas, Atlanta's smaller population makes the crime rate higher than those cities, even though the total numbers are less. One way to lower Atlanta's crime rate, get 1 million decent and law-abiding citizens to move into the city limits. If the number of murders and other crimes stay the same or better yet, get lower, then Atlanta's crime rate would be much lower than the said cities. That is kind of what happened in the last 10 years, 100,000 extra people moved in while the numbers dropped, but we still have a long way to go.
I like your idea of bringing in more normal citizens, but more criminals are being born here faster than normal folks are moving to Atlanta. There are no laws on how many children an uneducated mother can give birth to. Its best to just stay inside.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 PM

9 posts, read 10,486 times
You can never go off crime stats because it all depends on where you are going to live in the city you are in. if you live in a city that has lets say 15 murders and you live in a section where 10 of the murders happen. you are going to be in more danger their then you would be in a city that has 80 murders but none of them happen in the area you live in.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:43 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLak12 View Post
You can never go off crime stats because it all depends on where you are going to live in the city you are in. if you live in a city that has lets say 15 murders and you live in a section where 10 of the murders happen. you are going to be in more danger their then you would be in a city that has 80 murders but none of them happen in the area you live in.
That is a good point. However, a lot of people have the impression that the entire city of Atlanta is one giant ghetto and that crime is spread out evenly throughout the city. I disagree with that, however. Majority of the violent crime still occurs in SW Atlanta, followed by NW Atlanta. If you live in Va-Hi or Buckhead, you are much less likely to become a victim than you would in the other said areas.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:48 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I like your idea of bringing in more normal citizens, but more criminals are being born here faster than normal folks are moving to Atlanta. There are no laws on how many children an uneducated mother can give birth to. Its best to just stay inside.
There are also a lot of criminals moving to Atlanta, unfortunately. Atlanta is kind of like L.A. in the 90's, it attracts many (at least the younger folks) who think that living in ATL will make them feel "hard" and earn street credit.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofstarwars74 View Post
Recent transplant from LA - just re-located here to Atlanta and I'm in the process of looking for an apartment - and Man did I ever misjudge how bad crime is here in ATL!! Holy cow ... I've lived for 10 years in Los Angeles, Manhattan and Brooklyn and I never appreciated how safe these big cities are (the statistics bear this out on a per capita basis).

On the other hand, Atlanta not only has some very visibly dicey sections of town (intown) but the statistics are off the charts and confirm that this place ranks WAAY above the median when it comes to crime (property and violent). Even when you take a look at the crime map for supposedly "safe" areas of town, there is much much more crimnal activity being reported than you'd assume.

My question is: can somebody talk me off the ledge here?! I am really having some major concerns now.

Dang.

You can always move to Florida if it gets to be too much.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Asian males have much lower testosterone levels than men from other races. Testosterone contributes to violent behavior in men.
This is off topic...and not to get racial, but that comment is ludicris when taken in the context of the "Rape of Nanking" and the "Bataan Death March" and many other atrocities committed during WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

I'm not trying to paint anyone with a broad brush, but just wanted to contrast your statement.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 AM

281 posts, read 617,499 times
The testosterone levels are what they are, and it is a medical fact that can be verified in any endocrinology text. Other races have committed many other atrocities that make the ones you mentioned look like child's play. Google the holocaust or Rwanda. Anyone is capable of violence regardless of race, but I do think testosterone levels are a factor. Why do you think men are 10x more violent than women?

Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
I do think testosterone levels are a factor. Why do you think men are 10x more violent than women?
Of course testosterone levels are a factor and men are more violent than women. I am rebuking your claim that one race or group of people is somehow more or less violent. I think humans in general have a violent history, and recent history has shown that Asians have done their share of violent behavior, and some might say more than their share if you include the middle east, which is technically part of Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta