Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,563,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
People who say Prius is a better drive than A3 TDI never had a chance to experience the superior drivability of the A3 TDI. It has enough torque to burn rubber on startup and to change lanes effortless.

A fun to drive sedan, my friend changed the loaded 2012 Camry SE for an 2011 A3 TDI.
He could not be happier.
I experienced an A3 tdi. It mostly just vibrates and makes noise. It lacks elbow room and the climate controls and radio controls are obtuse. And who the hell decided to give it 4 doors when the back seats are completely useless for anyone that isn't a small child or a paraplegic?

If the A3 is so great why does it depreciate faster than yesterday's newspaper?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/3648260332.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
I experienced an A3 tdi. It mostly just vibrates and makes noise. It lacks elbow room and the climate controls and radio controls are obtuse. And who the hell decided to give it 4 doors when the back seats are completely useless for anyone that isn't a small child or a paraplegic?

If the A3 is so great why does it depreciate faster than yesterday's newspaper?
2007 AUDI A3
Really...you found a 7 years old A3 (non TDI) with no info about mileage, accidents, working conditions, salvage, etc just to prove they depreciate?

Don't what have you driven, but I can guarantee an A3 TDI in decent shape, does not "vibrate and make noise".
Also the 25.5" leg room for the rear seat passengers it is above its average room for its class (Mazda 3, etc). The front chairs back (like BMW) have an indent on the back to make even more room for the knees. As for the front seat at 42" they easily compete with almost anybody out there.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Really...you found a 7 years old A3 (non TDI) with no info about mileage, accidents, working conditions, salvage, etc just to prove they depreciate?

Don't what have you driven, but I can guarantee an A3 TDI in decent shape, does not "vibrate and make noise".
Also the 25.5" leg room for the rear seat passengers it is above its average room for its class (Mazda 3, etc). The front chairs back (like BMW) have an indent on the back to make even more room for the knees. As for the front seat at 42" they easily compete with almost anybody out there.
Lol.. the mazda 3 has 52" of legroom in the front and 42" in the rear. Prius has 42.5" in front and 36" in the rear. The a3 is pretty far off and not made for full grown adults it seems..

Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Lol.. the mazda 3 has 52" of legroom in the front and 42" in the rear. Prius has 42.5" in front and 36" in the rear. The a3 is pretty far off and not made for full grown adults it seems..
nope:

A3 (169" length) - 42" front leg room; 25.5" rear leg room; 19.5 cuft cargo volume
Mazda 3 (181" length) - 41" front leg room; 25" rear leg room; 12 cuft cargo volume
Prius (176" length) 41.5" front leg room; 28" rear leg room; 22 cuft cargo volume

Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM

nope:[/url]

A3 (169" length) - 42" front leg room; 25.5" rear leg room; 19.5 cuft cargo volume
Mazda 3 (181" length) - 41" front leg room; 25" rear leg room; 12 cuft cargo volume
Prius (176" length) 41.5" front leg room; 28" rear leg room; 22 cuft cargo volume[/quote]

Dead wrong.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/al...n/viewall.html

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/.../interior.html
Again. Mazda 3 rear leg room IS 42"
Prius rear leg room IS 36"
Compared to a3 rear leg room of 25.5"

I dont know where you get your made up numbers from..

Last edited by LRPct; 03-27-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Premium Wagon 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual Features and Specs

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/SKYACTIV-G Features and Specs

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback 1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Features and Specs

Edmunds seems to think they're all within an inch or each other, with the A3 being the small one. And considering that they are ALL bigger than my current car ('01 Jetta), which I feel is plenty large enough for doing duty as a 4-passenger vehicle ~ even with my 6'4" self in the drivers seat, it seems like a dumb complaint. I'm one of the oddballs in the US who Doesn't want a big/er car, I don't like they trend of vehicles doing nothing but getting bigger, fatter, heavier. I know it's because most Americans are doing the same to their own bodies and thus require bigger vehicles but I'm more than happy with a vehicle that's smaller than the 3 examples.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI Premium Wagon 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual Features and Specs

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 i Touring 4dr Hatchback 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual w/SKYACTIV-G Features and Specs

2012 Toyota Prius One 4dr Hatchback 1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic Features and Specs

Edmunds seems to think they're all within an inch or each other, with the A3 being the small one. And considering that they are ALL bigger than my current car ('01 Jetta), which I feel is plenty large enough for doing duty as a 4-passenger vehicle ~ even with my 6'4" self in the drivers seat, it seems like a dumb complaint. I'm one of the oddballs in the US who Doesn't want a big/er car, I don't like they trend of vehicles doing nothing but getting bigger, fatter, heavier. I know it's because most Americans are doing the same to their own bodies and thus require bigger vehicles but I'm more than happy with a vehicle that's smaller than the 3 examples.
Thats cool... but no way is anyone getting in the back of an a3 with some one 6'4" in the seat in front of them. I know I cant do it with some one les than 6' driving it.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
---------------------------------------------
Try to use a bit of logic to see that your numbers make no sense.
How can Mazda 3 have 16.5" more leg room than A3 and 6" more than Prius?

My numbers are off Consumer Reports - March 25, 2013

Motor trend lists A3 with rear leg room (inches): 34.8" (not 25.5") since CR and MT have diferent way of taking a measurement.

Quote:
Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 39.3, rear headroom (inches): 36.9, front leg room (inches): 41.2, rear leg room (inches): 34.8, front shoulder room (inches): 54.4, rear shoulder room (inches): 52.8 and interior volume (cu ft): 89.0

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2013/...#ixzz2Om3mGN1x

I do trust CR more than others since they seem to take a scientific approach when comparing different vehicles.
At least comparison is posted in a table and you know it has been done while using same reference points.

For instance, CR measured the rear leg room with front seat adjusted to provide 40" leg room.
Now that we have a reference point, you should believe my numbers not the ones posted by MT.

Most other magazines seem to have different opinions based on how biased/knowledgeable each writer is, and since there is no standard it is hard to do a fair comparison.

Last edited by 28173; 03-27-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Dead wrong.

2012 Chevrolet Volt vs. 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in - Comparison - Motor Trend

New 2012 Mazda MAZDA3 interior Specs - 2012 Mazda MAZDA3 Seats, Floormats, Leg Room - Motor Trend Magazine
Again. Mazda 3 rear leg room IS 42"
Prius rear leg room IS 36"
Compared to a3 rear leg room of 25.5"

---------------------------------------------
Try to use a bit of logic to see that your numbers make no sense.
My numbers are off Consumer Reports - March 25, 2013

Motor trend lists A3 with rear leg room (inches): 34.8" (not 25.5") since CR and MT have diferent way of taking a measurement.

I do trust CR more than others since they seem to take a scientific approach when comparing different vehicles.
Most other magazines seem to have different opinions based on how biased is the writer, and if no standard it is hard to do a fair comparison.[/quote]

Yeah.. you were the one to bring up the 25.5 measurement for the a3. Dont know where you found it.

All the numbers I used are absolutely correct as they are EPA numbers quoted from magazine tests. Ive worked alot of magazine testing before, like I will be for an upcoming comparison for motor trend next week. I dont know a single one of them to take ex/int dimensions, they always quote the manufacturer numbers which are measured using EPA guidelines.

Bottom line, from those numbers an a3 has a good deal less room inside than either the mazda 3 or a Prius and no way can even a 5'10" guy like me get in the rear seat of one with someone of the same size or more in the seat in front with the seat adjusted properly.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Heres YOUR post where YOU brought in the 25.5 number for the a3 rear leg room. Btw your front leg room number is wrong too. 41.2 does not round to 42.
Either way.. its still the smallest of the small..

Last edited by LRPct; 03-27-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi