Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM

85 posts, read 132,191 times

Advertisements

link

At least I think it's interesting. The power output along with that mileage is incredible. Now, I'm curious to how the engineers are going to design the electrical system to support the turbochargers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:41 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
It seems like a very logical design engineering wise; the amount of rotational energy (torque) to spool up the turbo initially would be negligible, about the time you need a good amount of energy to continue to push the air into the cylinders you would then have the exhaust gasses picking up the work when there is more atmospheric resistance.

More power, gobs of torque and great mileage- what's not to like? It doesn't take a leap of imagination though to predict the price of admission in an Audi, more than I'm willing to or able to in a car. Let's hope for downward engineering to the masses!

Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Very interesting. Not many motors spin that fast - so I wonder if it is geared to achieve the RPM required.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 PM

Considering that the chargers themselves are no longer powered by waste exhaust gasses, is it technically still a turbocharger?
Maybe electrocharger?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Quiet View Post
Considering that the chargers themselves are no longer powered by waste exhaust gasses, is it technically still a turbocharger?
Maybe electrocharger?
Unless I'm reading it or looking at it wrong I'm pretty sure that this turbo design still uses exhaust gasses. The electric part of the system is to spool up the turbo vanes quicker to eliminate turbo lag and to give an extra boost of available pressure at times where a traditional exhaust gas driven turbo would be lacking; there is a bypass valve and plumbing that would indicate a two part boost approach.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
The Germans can't even make an electric power steering, window motor or HPFP that will last. Good luck

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
An electrically driven turbo charger isn't a turbocharger, it is a supercharger. A turbocharger is driven by exhaust gases and once you use a motor to drive the turbine, it becomes a supercharger.

An electric turbocharger can't by definition, exist.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Unless I'm reading it or looking at it wrong I'm pretty sure that this turbo design still uses exhaust gasses. The electric part of the system is to spool up the turbo vanes quicker to eliminate turbo lag and to give an extra boost of available pressure at times where a traditional exhaust gas driven turbo would be lacking; there is a bypass valve and plumbing that would indicate a two part boost approach.
That's what I gathered. It's a electric "pre-spool," an evolution on the old super-turbocharger hybrids that invariably all were horrible but using electricity rather than belt drive. Very interesting.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 PM

Correct. So it is a new twist on an old idea.
I don't see why a 'trickle down' effect for other cars wouldn't be on order for the system. It doesn't look like a leap in technology. Just a good reworking that can be put into production.

Last edited by Mr.Quiet; 06-19-2014 at 09:09 PM..

Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The way I read it is that it's a sequential setup where the smaller turbo, if you could call it that, is electrically powered to provide low-end torque while the second, conventional turbocharger takes care of the high-end torque/power. Seems similar in principle to the twin-charger setup VW already uses in some of its European models but with the low-end supercharger being electrically driven instead of belt-driven. I assume the electric-driven compressor is centrifugal; I don't know what the supercharger type is in the current twin-charger unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi