Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM

115 posts, read 243,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblawsonuk View Post
We just moved to Grovetown in '09 and our neighborhood has a mix of civilian and government employees. I am very happy with our neighborhood. My kids are currently homeschooled, but my 8th grader went to school with many kids that have lived here their entire lives.
Thats exactly how grovetown is. People automatically think since its by a base that only military folks stay there and that once they moved gtown would be deserted. When in reality if it wasn't for the military, govt. contractors and regular ppl grovetown would probaly still be like harlem. P.s. no offense to any harlem residents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 AM

209 posts, read 607,062 times
We are stationed at Ft Gordon, and all of those areas are fine.

Really, all the areas are fine. This is not a "bad" city. It's actually really quiet, nothing really happens here. I mean of course you have the occasional drug bust or something but seriously, this is not a bad crime city...it's really small and there is not that much going on. I would love to live in Evans but it's more expensive, so we live in Grovetown insead.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM

197 posts, read 522,354 times
We are also PCSing to Gordon, but not until January 2012. My husband will only have 2 years left until retirement and we are going to retire there. I have about the same questions, where to buy a house. And we have an 18 year old son who will be going to college, so we arent concerned about being close to elementary/ high schools

Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM

19 posts, read 40,329 times
Hi, we just moved to the area a few months ago with the military as well. We chose Columbia county. Its a few extra minutes to get to fort gordon, but its worth it.
My kiddo is in high school this year and his grades have went up dramatically from the el paso schools, where we were stationed before.
I use www.greatschools.org when we have our moves, to check out the schools and its been a VERY useful tool.
I also found this website during this last move, and got great advice about schools and area as well. Personally I would avoid Richmond county ...just saying.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
I know everybody has their own opinions but I grew up in Columbia County and attended the schools there. I find it real funny and somebody not being very familar with area saying they would personally avoid Richmond County lol.... When Davidson is the top school in the state of GA and the only school in GA to make the top 100 schools in america. It sounds like they're using one website to draw their conclusions.. The greatschools.org website gave Harlem in Columbia County a score of 8 even though the graduation rate is 63%.. I'm sorry but nobody in the metro considers Harlem to be a sought after school..

The graduation rate in Columbia County is 84% compared to Richmond County 78%... High schools by graduation rate... Grovetown in Columbia County recently opened not too long ago.. But it's probably around 75% considering the demographics of the city...

1. Davidson 100% RC
2. AR Johnson 100% RC
3. Greenbriar 90% CC
4. Lakeside 90% CC
5. Evans 83% CC
6. Richmond 81% RC
7. Cross Creek 80% RC
8. Westside 80% RC
9. Glenn Hills 80% RC
10. Hephzibah 75% RC
11. Butler 73% RC
12. Josey 72% RC
13. Harlem 64% CC
14. Laney 63% RC

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-15-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM

115 posts, read 243,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I know everybody has their own opinions but I grew up in Columbia County and attended the schools there. I find it real funny and somebody not being very familar with area saying they would personally avoid Richmond County lol.... When Davidson is the top school in the state of GA and the only school in GA to make the top 100 schools in america. It sounds like they're using one website to draw their conclusions.. The greatschools.org website gave Harlem in Columbia County a score of 8 even though the graduation rate is 63%.. I'm sorry but nobody in the metro considers Harlem to be a sought after school..

The graduation rate in Columbia County is 84% compared to Richmond County 78%... High schools by graduation rate... Grovetown in Columbia County recently opened not too long ago.. But it's probably around 75% considering the demographics of the city...

1. Davidson 100% RC
2. AR Johnson 100% RC
3. Greenbriar 90% CC
4. Lakeside 90% CC
5. Evans 83% CC
6. Richmond 81% RC
7. Cross Creek 80% RC
8. Westside 80% RC
9. Glenn Hills 80% RC
10. Hephzibah 75% RC
11. Butler 73% RC
12. Josey 72% RC
13. Harlem 64% CC
14. Laney 63% RC

Even though I grew up in columbia county I was born in richmond county and i think each area has its own charm. If I ever get stationed at ft gordon, which I probaly will due to my M.o.s. I'll probaly stay in richmond county / west augusta area.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM

250 posts, read 580,655 times
One thing to consider when comparing graduation rates is how many of those graduates are graduates are getting college prep degrees. Davidson and Johnson are great schools but we need to remember those are magnet schools so those skew the numbers a bit.One thing to consider also are SAT scores. Just food for thought

Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Davidson and AR Johnson are both magnet schools but their still public 6th-12th schools... I've also noticed the greatschools website doesn't include alot of the schools in Richmond County on the site either including Hephzibah middle, Pine Hill Middle, etc...

Some of these schools only have a few people taking the SAT... You also have to keep in mind schools like Richmond are located in the inner city and get students from wealthy to poor backgrounds...

Here are the 2009 and 2010 results.... Since Columbia County only has five high schools I included the top 5 in Richmond County.. Grovetown recently opened doesn't have 2009 scores..

2009 SAT scores
1. Davidson RC(#1 SAT score the state of GA) 1744
2. Lakeside CC 1600
3. AR Johnson RC 1539
4. Greenbriar CC 1526
5. Westside RC 1485
6. Evans CC 1469
7. Harlem CC 1402
8. Hephzibah RC 1385
9. Richmond RC 1350

2010 SAT scores
1. Davidson RC 1709(#1 in Georgia)
2. Lakeside CC 1602
3. Greenbriar CC 1518
4. AR Johnson RC 1483
5. Evans CC 1471
6. Harlem CC 1439
7. Westside RC 1375
8. Grovetown CC 1364
9. Richmond RC 1359
10. Hephzibah RC 1270

2010 graduation rates... Grovetown(CC) is probably around 75%...
1. Davidson 100% RC
2. AR Johnson 100% RC
3. Greenbriar 90% CC
4. Lakeside 90% CC
5. Evans 83% CC
6. Richmond 81% RC
7. Cross Creek 80% RC
8. Westside 80% RC
9. Glenn Hills 80% RC
10. Hephzibah 75% RC
11. Butler 73% RC
12. Josey 72% RC
13. Harlem 64% CC
14. Laney 63% RC

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-17-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM

19 posts, read 40,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I know everybody has their own opinions but I grew up in Columbia County and attended the schools there. I find it real funny and somebody not being very familar with area saying they would personally avoid Richmond County lol.... C
I didnt say that to be offensive to anyone. When we were making our move to the augusta, I also posted here for advice about areas (like the poster here) and was given great advice about areas. Most people recommended columbia county..thats what I chose, and I'm thankful for that advice and dont regret my decision.

Yes, I have used the website I listed for many of our moves and I have found it extremely helpful, sorry if you see it differently, but you are intitled to your opinion.
My post wasnt based entirely on the website, its from the locals who post here as well. While there is no utopia, one only has to pick up the local newspaper and read what goes on.

Again, I wasnt trying to offend anybody. I was merely adding my two cents.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM

I don't have a problem with your opinion.... I'm glad you're happy with your move... I just find it funny how you said avoid Richmond County instead of the bad areas.. When there are areas/schools in Richmond County more desirable than areas/schools in Columbia County...

You made one thread about moving to Augusta and only one poster responded... I guessing that's what you meant when you said most people recommended Columbia County.. The post you created discussed three areas in CC so nobody was going to recommend anything in Richmond County.. The only person who disses Richmond County on this forum is the same troll with diffrent screen names..(Jackson a-hole, Disgustasucks, par4ham, expatriado, disgustatruth, etc)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/augus...area-best.html

''So far I'm leaning toward Evans and Martinez, but does anyone know anything about Grovetown or the schools there?? There seem to be loads of houses listed for the Grovetown area, so I'm wondering if that area is nice as well?''

If a person picks up the local Augusta paper... They'll automatically notice besides the neighborhoods in the Evans area(which are comparable). It's much cheaper to live in Martinez and a whole lot cheaper to buy/rent in Grovetown compared to West Augusta, Summerville, Forest Hills, and Lake Aumond...

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-26-2011 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area