Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:16 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,391,463 times

Advertisements

Bass Pro Shops will not open up store in Columbia County, says commissioner chairman

Columbia County Bass Pro Shops will not open up store in Columbia County, says commissioner chairman Posted: Oct 01, 2013 7:04 PM EDT Updated: Oct 01, 2013 7:04 PM EDT Written by NBC 26 Staff

NBC 26 has just learned that Bass Pro Shops will not be opening up shop in Columbia County. County Chairman Ron Cross made the announcement at Tuesday's commission meeting. The announcement, from a few weeks ago, came within hours of news that Cabela's, another outdoor sports store, was opening up in Richmond County. No word from the company as to why. We'll update this story as new information come in.
Bass Pro Shops will not open up store in Columbia County, says c - NBC 26 - Here for You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,414,102 times
That's a shame. Regardless of where it was to be located, BPS is a better store to me than Cabela's. Small towns that didn't have large Sears stores used to have those catalog stores where you could find a smaller selection and order any of the items from their catalog to be shipped there. Everything I've been reading about the Cabela's store that's under construction points to it being the same sort of thing as one of those Sears catalog stores. A relatively small selection (in comparison to their flagship stores) with a bunch of kiosks where you can order from their online selection and get it shipped there for free.

Wouldn't it be something if the announcement from Bass Pro made Cabela's reconsider their plans and build one of their full sized stores instead? Could be too far along in land prep at the VAR for that, though.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,391,463 times
This how it all go down.
Bass Pro Shops backs out of Columbia County deal | Mobile Augusta

Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM

937 posts, read 1,802,558 times
Smh .... Well most of you were complaining anyway about the size. I guess that shows you something is better than nothing! I'm def not surprised, you all know I don't believe any Augusta news until I see it. Not trolling just being real.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times
I'm definitely surprise they backed out this time. The announcement for the VAR happen around the time of the recession, but the local economy is doing much better(just look at the recent news)...

It did seem kinda odd that Cabela's is moving along while the Bass Pro site wasn't changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
Smh .... Well most of you were complaining anyway about the size. I guess that shows you something is better than nothing! I'm def not surprised, you all know I don't believe any Augusta news until I see it. Not trolling just being real.
I don't think you've seen the Cabela's under construction... I'm just messing with you lol...

Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 AM

220 posts, read 218,046 times
I understand the business decision but how do they have the option of backing out of a signed contract, I think this is a slimy move by BPS but that's okay I think Cabelas carries a must superior line of products. Spent time last week in the Cabelas outside of Austin Texas and it was awesome, I won't support BPS after this little stunt.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastclevelandguy View Post
I understand the business decision but how do they have the option of backing out of a signed contract, I think this is a slimy move by BPS but that's okay I think Cabelas carries a must superior line of products. Spent time last week in the Cabelas outside of Austin Texas and it was awesome, I won't support BPS after this little stunt.
Many contracts have a due diligence period written into them. They are agreements with the stipulation that the company has a set period of time to do more research on all the terms of the potential contract, and in that timeframe they can back out if they want to. Just like most of your cell phone contracts have a 14 to 30 day "love it or leave it" clause where you can back out with no fault or early termination fees. The period for Bass Pro Shops was 90 days and they were still within that.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I'm happy with any size store from either company. I just think too many people heard the names Bass Pro and Cabela's and got all googly-eyed with visions of what they've been to in the ATL, Charlotte and Myrtle Beach Bass Pro Shops. Neither of these stores will/was going to be anything close to those in terms of selection, square footage or amenities.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:27 AM

999 posts, read 1,551,448 times
I don't buy the "area can't support the store" stuff... they're building a BPS and Cabela's in the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City) area. Both are larger stores than what was going to be built in Augusta and the MSA of that area is about 250,000 less people than Augusta. BPS can save face with that comment, but I find it hard to believe when they're competing head-to-head with Cabela's elsewhere in a smaller market.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
I don't buy the "area can't support the store" stuff... they're building a BPS and Cabela's in the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City) area. Both are larger stores than what was going to be built in Augusta and the MSA of that area is about 250,000 less people than Augusta. BPS can save face with that comment, but I find it hard to believe when they're competing head-to-head with Cabela's elsewhere in a smaller market.
It's not just the population of the MSA they locate in that makes a difference. The number of people who travel to and through the area for the sports they cater to make a big difference, too. I see at least 4 major lakes an hour or less from that area you mentioned, with rivers converging around there, and two interstates that intersect near there, too...not to mention it being in the mountains. There are BPS stores in other less-populated places, too. We have a couple major lakes here within an hour or so drive, but this area is not a major destination for outdoorsmen exactly. Given that BPS and Cabela's don't have thousands of locations like other retailers, they can't really afford to put stores in areas that would do "just fine". They need every store of theirs to thrive. I would've loved to have had both of them here, but both of them thriving would probably be a stretch, especially given the other local competition from major retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area