Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,533 times

Advertisements

Gotta disagree on the sportsmans paradise up there, it's not exactly the Ozarks. My dad's family is from Chilhowie, Va and the Bristol area... we go there a few times each year. Hunting/fishing there is no more or less of a craze than it is here. There's a lot of farming in the area and a few tourists here and there, but it's not a tourist trap like Gatlinburg, Asheville or Pigeon Forge by any means. The lakes there are tiny compared to Thurmond, Russell or even Murray if you're going to throw in Lake Cherokee which is over an hour away from what will be the stores location in Bristol, this is not to mention that plenty of fishing is done on the Savannah here as well (a lot swear by the bass fishing there is the best, i don't). The FLW professional fishing tour has been here for a few major fishing tournaments here on their calendar season to boot. There are plenty of hunters here and they live all over the area, I know plenty of people in West Lake even that are hunters...

There are two interstates in the Bristol area, I-26 doesn't extend much further to the North of the area though and even in the Summertime it's not as if either interstate strike me as I-85 or I-75. I agree with some of your points in their intention to place stores, but in this case and first hand knowledge of both areas... I'm just not buying it. Columbia is just up the road and with a metro of twice the size also having interstate access would've been more than fine in terms of sales. BPS would've closed down Sports Authority and Academy Sports and taken their share of the market, this would almost be a certainty given time.

To me it was a little bit of a knee-jerk reaction and a premature conclusion, but they had to react under contract framework to pull out. For the third time in the area...

Last edited by tckr83; 10-02-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I'm definitely surprise they backed out this time. The announcement for the VAR happen around the time of the recession, but the local economy is doing much better(just look at the recent news)...

It did seem kinda odd that Cabela's is moving along while the Bass Pro site wasn't changing.

I don't think you've seen the Cabela's under construction... I'm just messing with you lol...
Lol!!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,810 times
It is possible that bps backed out of cola co to go even bigger in Richmond co..... Isn't it? I can only dream lol!

Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
Folks need to understand that while this is a bit of a loss for the area, the land which the development was proposed is in a prime location. I would bet with in the next few months there will be an announcement of an even larger development that would have located on the property before the Bass Pro announcement.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:16 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Representatives of Bass Pro are now firing back, because of what they call 'grossly inaccurate statements made in the press'. According to Bass Pro the Cabela's under construction had nothing to do with their decision...

Bass Pro Shops decision to back out of store not a surprise to some | The Augusta Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Folks need to understand that while this is a bit of a loss for the area, the land which the development was proposed is in a prime location. I would bet with in the next few months there will be an announcement of an even larger development that would have located on the property before the Bass Pro announcement.
As for McKnight’s bare 52-acre development where the outpost store was once slated, the developer said he’s confident that his company will announce future tenants before year’s end.

Leaders in Columbia County are probably more concerned about the sales tax than anything else. The property was a 300k SQ. FT. shopping center before the recession(Gander Mountain/Nothern Toole).

I think everybody knows the property will eventually attract something else, but the more important thing is what county gets the big anchor for the property.

The property is located on the Columbia/Richmond line, and Richmond County already has the Carmax/Gateway community.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 AM

77 posts, read 157,826 times
So what if BPS doesn't come; we will all support the new Cabelas and BPS will be sorry they missed out on the opportunity to come to Augusta. I personally was fine with both shops coming in but kind of worried about competition being so close to one another. This solves the problem.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Apparently Bass Pro has a company habit of getting everyone excited about locating in an area and then dropping a bomb on local governments with big demands at the last second... Columbia County wasn't willing to comply with them. 10+ million dollars of demands/incentives by Bass Pro according to sources from Columbia County on the Austin Rhodes show... a bit steep and gotta say, I am disappointed if that is how they run the company.

Worried about support and sharing/flooding the marketplace with similar competition my a$&!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
Rumor is they planning on building in North Augusta on the 52 acres on Edgefield Road near Interstate 20’s Exit 5 somewhere in that area. I don't know the exact location .

Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Where are you hearing this from? Believe it when I see it... no offence to you, I'm just sayin'.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Pretty crappie of BPS... not how you do business and I knew the reason they were giving was BS.

Bass Pro asked for $10 million from county to cover store construction | The Augusta Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area