Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

''A road construction project to realign Berckmans Road with Alexander Drive will use portions of the existing Stanley Drive, including the road adjacent to the restaurant. Augusta Traffic Engineer Steve Cassell said the intersection of Stanley Drive at Washington Road will be widened from three lanes to four, and sidewalks and bike lanes will be added. The project will use about 20 to 25 feet of the former TGI Fridays property, eliminating a row of parking spaces.''

I really do feel sorry for the employees at TGIF, but the area desperately needs those sidewalks and bike lanes... Hopefully this will bring additional foot and bike traffic into the area.. People can walk from West Augusta(Washington road) down Alexander Drive into North Richmond and visit the Costco, Cabela's, and upcoming movie theater..

The next splost package must include the funds to build a large green space/park off Washington road. The Washington road area of West Augusta is easily one of the most desirable locations in the CSRA and the park/green space can offer something new...

Purchase the New Peking and Venus Adonis properties for $1.7 million and give Arbys $1 or $1.5 million... The park can be in the $4-$6 million range... A great place for the men in the CSRA to relax while the wife shops around...

The list below features some of the constructions projects on Washington road underway or beginning this year.. The new park would easily pay for itself over time based on the private sector growth..

1. $40 million Washington Crossing(Whole Foods, DSW, Home Goods, Jason's Deli, Half-Moon Outfitters)
2. MedNow
3. Kroger expansion
4. PDQ restaurant
5. Cookout
6. Jersey Mike's

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-30-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:54 PM

568 posts, read 699,131 times
Incredible.. Folks sure are free with others money..

Old 09-30-2014, 11:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
Incredible.. Folks sure are free with others money..
It is such a lovely road ...

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphic...ges/opener.jpg

Old 09-30-2014, 11:51 PM

The picture above is definitely a couple of years old(around 6-8 years)..

I explained in another thread how Augusta doesn't have a rivalry with any city in Georgia.. Somebody commented that Augusta has a rivalry with Macon and Columbus and then Savannah was just by itself. I explained to him that nobody in Augusta even mentions those cities and that Columbia is the most discussed other than maybe Greenville.. People are confusing the threads discussed on city data with reality.. The average citizen from Augusta can't tell you much about either Macon or Columbus, but almost everybody in Augusta is familiar with Columbia.

The posters from other cities posting random comments in the Augusta forum is only backing up my point.. Augusta being located so close to South Carolina puts the city in a weird position..

When do you see anybody from Augusta mention those cities in our forum or go into their forums?

Last edited by nortonguy; 10-01-2014 at 12:08 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,413,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The picture above is definitely a couple of years old(around 6-8 years)..
What does that matter? It still looks almost exactly like that, overrun by a lack of sign ordinances and concrete. Pretty sure Newsboy's point still stands, regardless of how tongue in cheek it may have been intended to be.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 AM

153 posts, read 274,948 times
In my opinion, the road needs a full makeover. I mean is the really what you would expect to see surrounding a absolutely stunning golf course, and a prestigious one at that. Businesses,retail,hotels and fine,but there needs to be some type of order, and if there are any motels on the street, they need to be bulldozed and replaced with something more high-end. Sidewalks & bike lanes need to be added to the entire Augusta stretch of the road,maybe even a little farther. There needs to be more greenery on the road. All I see is asphalt and concrete. They could line the street with attractive looking trees. Signs need to be more orderly. Some shopping centers need to be remodeled to look more pleasing. While the road is slowly making progress by attracting better retail,restaurants, and businesses, the road needs to look more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not trying to find fault. I'm just pointing out tings that would make the street look neat,orderly, and attractive the residents and visitors. Just my opinion,but Augusta should seriously look into lining the street with trees.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:57 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Damn,I that thought was Macon Road.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:13 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
What does that matter? It still looks almost exactly like that, overrun by a lack of sign ordinances and concrete. Pretty sure Newsboy's point still stands, regardless of how tongue in cheek it may have been intended to be.

There has definitely been some changes since that picture was taken. This is a more up to date picture although there have even been more changes since this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	washington rd.png
Views:	3451
Size:	907.6 KB
ID:	136996

There is still room for improvement however, and the improvements that are coming should improve the look of the area even more.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:14 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,413,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
There has definitely been some changes since that picture was taken. This is a more up to date picture although there have even been more changes since this one.

Attachment 136996
Umm, the only real difference is the one you posted has less traffic when it was taken and it's out of focus. Still just as many issues with sign overcrowding and pavement. My point was that while the photo initially posted might've been 6-8 years old, it has no bearing on what Newsboy was getting at, which is pointing out the ugliness of the area. Nort likes to deflect the real issues by bringing up irrelevant comments about people not being from Augusta. Facts are facts, regardless of the hometown of the person who posts them. And his proposed greenspace/park or whatever in that area of Washington Rd is something ARC would never do. That is a hugely commercial area with very little foot traffic save for one week a year, so they wouldn't waste money on such a thing. Thinking men are going to go hang out at some park together while their wives shop at Whole Foods and DSW is ridiculous. If they hang out anywhere, they're going to a bar, Hooters, Wild Wings, Roadrunner Cafe, Somewhere in Augusta....not to sit on a bench with some other dudes in a park.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Why does it matter that I informed him the picture is 6-8 years old? Anybody claiming one of the most desirable locations in Augusta still looks almost exactly the same as 6-8 years ago is being ridiculous...

The Washington Walk(Kroger), Washington Crossing(Whole Foods), and National Hills(Fresh Market) shopping centers have all been renovated..

Is the green space along Washington road or new parking areas completed by the Masters a figment of imagination? They demolished several buildings on Washington road and opened Magnolia Park in 2011..
"Out There...Somewhere": Augusta's New "National" Park - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

The Google street image was taken in 2012 and still includes both the Greens on Washington(complex) and I-Hop.. They're gone in the year 2014...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...d97f791e05b493

Please explain how Washington road looks almost exactly the same as 6-8 years ago?
AGNC parking spaces and green space
$5 million Mercedes Benz showroom
$20 million Sheraton
$40 million Washington Crossing
Kroger expansion
National Hills makeover(Fresh Market)
Texas Roadhouse
$11 million Alexander Drive
$3 million Electrolux
I-HOP demolished
Savannah West/Greens on Washington apartments demolished
PDQ
MedNow
Cookout
Jersey Mike's

Last edited by nortonguy; 10-01-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area