Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

I think a 10,000 seat arena will be appropriate for Downtown. This should help Augusta attract better concerts and shows.
Quote:
The Coliseum Authority has agreed to build a new 10,000 seat facility. They even showed some concepts of what the new building could look like when it's done... The decision wasn't finalized without getting the results back from a recent feasibility report.

"The thing was to find out really if we could support a new arena. We knew we needed one. We wanted the experts to come and tell us that but finding the funding is going to be the major goal now," Johnson said.

AE Com's Associate Vice President David Stone says a new facility has the potential to constantly bring in big name acts that will regularly sell out the CURRENT 7-thousand available concert seats rather than relying on the occasional Elton John performance... And speaking of seats Stone says the new facility will get some sweet upgrades the JBA lacks.

"We've recommended a modest amount of premium seating which is a combination of luxury seats. We think about 14 is the right number. Club seats about 500 or so and luge seats which are a combination of luxury suites and club seats," Stone said.

Aside from where in Augusta the new building will be... It's the funding that's on everyone's mind.

"SPLOST but there again there's a lot of competition for those dollars. That's a lot to ask the city to do so we're looking at other sources and other ways to finance it," Johnson said.

"It would draw more people to the city and we think the authority through its own funds can pay for a pretty significant portion of it but would have to find other ways to help fund the facility as well," Stone said.

Johnson said they're still considering sites downtown and in South and West Augusta.
Coliseum Authority plans to move forward with new entertainment - NBC 26, Augusta-Aiken, Here for You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Called it. It was only a matter of time before the city would do this. With all the expected growth coming to the area it would have been foolish to let Columbia County build one and further their lead in growth in the area. If Augusta can take the lead on this it will only be a matter of time until GRU joins on board as they look to upgrade the 24 year old Christenberry Fieldhouse.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 PM

I think a riverfront arena would be cool. Perhaps on the old GGHF site since GRU has no plans to redevelop it soon.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
I love it but I hope they up to 15k or capable of expand to 15k. We can't do anything small minded anymore we to treat Augusta as it already risen.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM

New Arena, More Seats 'Feasible' for Augusta - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken

Some sites, for example, ght have better access or visibility.* Some might be bigger and be able to accommodate more parking.* Some might have other costs associated with it.* The Authority might have to buy a site. There may be costs associated with getting a site ready to develop an arena on,” he said.

This sound like they looking into Regency Mall, Var or downtown riverfront. Look at the video they have a picture of the arena layout

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM

It looks like the Coliseum Authority is pursuing a partnership with GRU. If that happens, I could one day see GRU moving the basketball team to the D-1 level.

Quote:
The James Brown Arena is more than 30 years old and now we could be getting a whole new, but the big question is how we are going to pay for it?

"Definitely want to partner with GRU if possible. We've been pursuing them--they are not pursuing us," said Brad Usry.

On Friday members of coliseum authority met with Georgia Regents University to discuss the idea--an idea Brad Usry who sits on the committee says is not based on money alone.

"It's a natural link for an institution like GRU to need the facilities of an arena--similar to JBA," he told News 12

So, one night you could be watching the Jags and the next one you could be jamming, but the point is to try and do it together.

"It's not hard to imagine synergies that could happen between the coliseum authority and the university, but it is very much in the preliminary stages," said Tony Wagner, Chief Business Officer for GRU.

Wagner says any partnership would need approval from the board of regents and there's no guarantee GRU will have to pay some of the bill.

"I think it can potentially work without a financial contribution, but that's something we would have to work through," Wagner said.

The new arena would sit 10,000 people, 4,000 more than the JBA. It would also add 14 suite boxes and the coliseum authority says it must be built this way to make it worth the while.
Partnership could lead to $110 Million arena in Augusta

Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Again it only makes sense from a financial standpoint. Both could spell one another, I mean it's working for Raleigh and NC State.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Again it only makes sense from a financial standpoint. Both could spell one another, I mean it's working for Raleigh and NC State.
As well as Columbia and USC with the Colonial Life Arena, which is actually downtown unlike PNC Arena in Raleigh.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 PM

To me it need to be bigger 15k should be the minimum

Old 04-05-2015, 02:42 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
To me it need to be bigger 15k should be the minimum
I agree! I think once again Augusta is planning for the "now" instead of for the future. Question! What happens in twenty years when Augusta has outgrown the new arena? Same problems as they have now I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area