Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:37 AM

129 posts, read 460,555 times

Advertisements

Hi folks.

I'm planning a road trip for May. I haven't worked out the exact itinerary yet (except I know that I will definitely be going through Birmingham) but the towns listed below are possible stops. I'd be interested in hearing from natives or current residents of these towns about things to see, places to stay, and places to eat, in the towns mentioned or along the roads between. I like happening downtowns and I like country back roads. I might decide to tent-camp some nights. I appreciate history and local flavor. I'm not interested in anything with a national chain name on it, or anything real expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Tennessee: Sevierville, Chattanooga (I've already done the Tennessee Aquarium)
North Carolina: Kannapolis, Hickory, Black Mountain, Asheville
South Carolina: Greenville, Anderson, Aiken
Georgia: Royston, Augusta, Macon, Albany, Columbus, Rome
Alabama: Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery
Mississippi: Jackson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times
If you go to Columbus I would stay at least a day or so. Here is where I would stop at:

1) Downtown Columbus - check out the shops, restaurants, Springer Opera House,
Riverwalk, Historic District, and the Coca-Cola Space Science
Center Coca-Cola Space Science Center

2) Columbus Museum - one of the largest art and history museum in Georgia and one of
the largest museums in the Southeast.
Columbus Georgia Museum Home Page, Modern Art and American Art, Chattahoochee Legacy, Southeast

3) Port Columbus Naval Museum Welcome Aboard! Port Columbus. Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus, Georgia. Civil War History.

4) National Infantry Museum Infantry Museum (broken link)

5) Callaway Gardens - this would take several days to see
Callaway Gardens | Georgia Vacation Resort, Family Vacations, Golf & Weekend Getaways

Columbus also is home to a lot of cool local restaurants and shopping areas. Let me know if you need other information.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:03 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,014 times
I can understand Columbus.. since you will be in Birmingham.. but Augusta? Royston? Macon? Albany? How did you come up with that list of cities to visit? Let me suggest Athens, Milledgeville,Madison, Helen, Clayton, Dahlonega (you take take US 441 and hit all of these cities.. with a short detour to get to Helen and Dahlonega. If you do this route, Macon may be a good starting point, but I wouldn't spend too much time there. Augusta is sort of isolated on the eastside.. and not much to see or do, unless you like stripa malls and fast food restaurants. Albany? Why? Oh Why?
YOur road trip list is peculiar.. you included some of the least deirable cities in Georgia and left out the best.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I reckoned the destination list would strike some as strange! This trip is being partially built around one of my passions, baseball. I do a trip like this--in different areas--every year. Most of the towns listed have some form of professional minor league baseball team (in Georgia, it's either the MLB-affiliated South Atlantic League or the independent South Coast League)... I enjoy the game itself, I enjoy the more stylish or unique ballparks (both old and new), and I enjoy getting a feel for the small cities and towns.

So attending games in different ballparks every year gives me an excuse to travel around, and a rough sort of framework for doing it, but I plan other things to see and do between the games. I'm also into natural scenery, historical sites, various kinds of museums, local music scenes, and authentic regional foods.

Albany GA has been dropped off the list for this trip, since it no longer falls along any of the routes I'm thinking about taking.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Ok now your list makes a bit more sense.. don't forget Savannah.. it has a minor league baseball team and is a real jewel.. there is a reason it is the only other Georgia city after Atlanta with a subforum here.. Augusta actually has a rather nice small ballpark..but don't expect to much more out of that city.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:49 AM

I've been to Savannah before, although not as part of an extended baseball trip... in fact I was with a group that arrived by sailboat, which is a really great way to visit a city, especially for the first time. You get an entirely different perspective.

I think I'm going to save a return to Savannah for some time when I can combine it with the Vidalia Onion Festival, which I'll be missing by a few weeks on this trip. I'm committed to being in Birmingham on May 28, so everything else has to be structured backward and forward from that date.

Last edited by spark240; 01-24-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 11:34 AM

383 posts, read 722,947 times
Yeah the augusta greenjackets have a stadium that has been recently rennovated. Also their building a new stadium in downtown augusta this year. It will be a multi-use facility like a smaller turner field in atlanta.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:53 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
Yeah the augusta greenjackets have a stadium that has been recently rennovated. Also their building a new stadium in downtown augusta this year. It will be a multi-use facility like a smaller turner field in atlanta.
Smaller by like 40,000 seats.....

Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM

I was reading where the mayor of Augusta and Cal Ripken were promoting the idea of building a bew ballpark in downtown on the riverfront.. This would be a great idea..if it can happen.. it would surely involve a bond or sales tax referendum.. it would be an uphill battle to get Augusta voters to approve of more taxes for a ballpark..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area