Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 06:43 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,179,028 times

Advertisements

Now this is the type of media attention that Augusta needs. It's great to see locals making strides to take advantage of the Army's decision to move their Cyber Command their. Perhaps Augusta can become a mini-Austin or Raleigh.
Quote:
Craig might soon get his wish. By the end of this year, Augusta could be known for a lot more than just its famous golf tournament. Starting in the fall, Augusta residents will have access to something called the Augusta Innovation Zone. A team of six action leaders is renovating a full downtown city block, including two historic buildings, and turning it into an incubator and hub for innovation, arts, entertainment and restaurants. Members of all industries and career paths will be able to rent desks, or even a full offices, there; they’ll share a receptionist and common office supplies; and they’ll attend seminars and workshops. Eager budding entrepreneurs might even want to rent one of the iZone’s apartments. Interactions might lead to mentor situations or future partnerships. “It will give most cities a run for their money in live-work-play spaces,” says Tommy Wafford, one of the iZone action leaders.

Wafford says he and his friends came up with the idea over drinks one night as they sought support on their own projects. “We said that something’s got to be done with startup innovative culture in our city,” says Wafford, CEO of MealViewer. “I’m on my third startup with my business partner. Every one [of these startups] has been a challenge — we’ve had to bootstrap every single one because there’s been no culture here.”

The iZone team wanted to create a physical space where people could come together to brainstorm ideas, find mentors and bounce entrepreneurial projects off venture capitalists. They wanted a place where people could inspire one another to bring their visions to fruition. And they wanted local businesses to turn to a creative space for recruiting events. Augusta, which has a population of just under 200,000, tends to draw millennials for a new cyber facility and a university hospital, but then they leave for larger cities. “There’s nowhere in our downtown for young people to go unless they want to drink,” says John Cates, an attorney and one of the founders. He and Wafford say they looked at existing hubs like the Atlanta Tech Village for motivation. “We needed to create an environment where the best and brightest can stick around.”

Wafford, Cates and the rest of their team — all of whom are working on this pro bono — worked closely with the city of Augusta to find an open space downtown that could launch this renaissance. One of the buildings they chose is an old Woolworth department store. People can join as members and check out co-working spaces. There will be offices for rent, conference rooms, restaurants and storefronts.

Over 200 people are on the waitlist for memberships, and 40% of the office space on the second floor has been reserved. Not all of those interested are locals. Wafford says he and his team are traveling all over, including to Silicon Valley, to meet with startups. They’ve also been encouraging venture capitalists to keep tabs on their progress. The huge difference in cost in living and rental space just might persuade a few entrepreneurs to move. “The wifi is just as good here as it is in Silicon Valley,” Wafford says. “We can extend your runway by 24 months [if you move your startup] to Augusta.”

The short-term goal is to get the Augusta Innovation Zone up and running by the end of 2017. The long-term goal is to use this iZone as a model for similar spaces around the country. “I definitely think there is an opportunity to help other post-industrialized cities thrive again economically,” Wafford says. “Obviously, being able to offer startup companies an ecosystem that has access to talent and funding is a key component to their success and longevity.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikemon.../#3f29a3af1f43
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,891 times
Two big problems that stand in the way of redevelopment of the downtown:

1) Racial suspicion and mistrust between members of the city council. The blacks see themselves being displaced, should anything like gentrification happen downtown. White members view black areas as blighted, that need to be depopulated, razed.
2) Columbia County suburbs suck the oxygen out of the air. They have the good high schools, safest and nicest neighborhoods, and latest supermarkets, big box stores, amenities.

I too thought downtown Augusta was being wasted. It seemed ripe to become funkytown. I remember when they put in River Walk. But not much more money is going into public-private investment, mainly because white, Columbia co. residents have written it off.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,523,647 times
I think the jury is still out on this. The much hyped innovation and rooftop bar probably won't open till another year and I am crossing my fingers that this actually happens and isn't just a lot of hot air never to materialize. It's hard not to be cynical in Augusta when the people have been promised so many great projects downtown only for them to be cancelled later. I hope that is not the case with this innovation center.
Now the Cyber Center the state is building on the riverfront is very exciting and hopefully it is a catalyst for more development downtown. But we also have to remember this is yet another public project and when I will truly get excited is when we see the private investment downtown. Augusta's economy has always been far too heavily dependent on the public sector spending.
What I would like to see is more private sector tech jobs and startups.. software development, apps, and other creative economy jobs etc. Can Augusta lure silicon valley type tech jobs with our low cost of living and doing business and relatively mild climate. Fargo, ND has actually been rather successful at this and it certainly is not because of their climate.
I would say Fargo has more of a trackrecord of success to be considered a model for small cities looking to lure tech jobs.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:24 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,179,028 times
While I certainly understand the cynicism regarding the impact of the cyber security industry on the city, I think this time will be different. Besides the much hyped Augusta Innovation Center and Georgia Cyber Training Center at Augusta University's Riverfront Campus, you also have the Augusta Cyber Works at the old Sibley Mill that has already attracted EDTS and a campus for the University of Maryland-Baltimore County to train cyber students. People aren't in the business of making big investments like this if they didn't think Augusta has some potential. Even if the cyber thing doesn't even reach half the hype the chamber of commerce folks have made it, it is certainly starting to slowly change the way people and the government of Augusta think about the future of the city. It has lit a fire under the butts of the people that sit in the marble palace when it comes to Downtown development and I believe that is a good thing. It is also starting to bring more collaborative efforts when it comes to regional cooperation. BTW, here is another article from Fortune regarding the potential of Augusta becoming a cyber security hub. The only other Georgia city on the list is Atlanta.

Quote:
This small city is a dark horse when it comes to winning the race to be a cyber capital. But while some scoff at the idea of Augusta emerging as a major player (skeptics point to the city's out-of-the-way location and small size), it does have some distinct advantages—most notably nearby Fort Gordon, which the Pentagon designated as the new home of the Army's Cyber Command.
Brooks Keel, the President of Augusta University, says the town is preparing for “cyber tsunami” of approximately 4000 families, and the school will provide complementary education to support this. Meanwhile, Augusta is hoping a $50 million cyber grant from the state and presence of firms like Unisys and Ratheon will lead to a bonanza of spin-offs and startups.
Silicon Valley, London, DC: Cities That Could Dominate Cybersecurity | Fortune.com

Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM

220 posts, read 218,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
While I certainly understand the cynicism regarding the impact of the cyber security industry on the city, I think this time will be different. Besides the much hyped Augusta Innovation Center and Georgia Cyber Training Center at Augusta University's Riverfront Campus, you also have the Augusta Cyber Works at the old Sibley Mill that has already attracted EDTS and a campus for the University of Maryland-Baltimore County to train cyber students. People aren't in the business of making big investments like this if they didn't think Augusta has some potential. Even if the cyber thing doesn't even reach half the hype the chamber of commerce folks have made it, it is certainly starting to slowly change the way people and the government of Augusta think about the future of the city. It has lit a fire under the butts of the people that sit in the marble palace when it comes to Downtown development and I believe that is a good thing. It is also starting to bring more collaborative efforts when it comes to regional cooperation. BTW, here is another article from Fortune regarding the potential of Augusta becoming a cyber security hub. The only other Georgia city on the list is Atlanta.

Silicon Valley, London, DC: Cities That Could Dominate Cybersecurity | Fortune.com

This is a big deal for the city but I don't see Augusta becoming the "Cyber Capital". Augusta will at best be the "Cyber Capital" for the Army, I don't see that expanding to any other industries or services the market is way too limited, everything revolves around the Army.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,915,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastclevelandguy View Post
This is a big deal for the city but I don't see Augusta becoming the "Cyber Capital". Augusta will at best be the "Cyber Capital" for the Army, I don't see that expanding to any other industries or services the market is way too limited, everything revolves around the Army.
I agree with this. I think there would have to be an effort from Atlanta to help this thing happen and I'm not sure Atlanta wants to give up all that money. For Augusta to have a chance a few things must change to include a complete overhaul of the school system, changes to the city charter to give the mayor more power (no company wants to deal with a broken government) and improvements in infrastructure to give the area a north-south connection.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM

220 posts, read 218,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I agree with this. I think there would have to be an effort from Atlanta to help this thing happen and I'm not sure Atlanta wants to give up all that money. For Augusta to have a chance a few things must change to include a complete overhaul of the school system, changes to the city charter to give the mayor more power (no company wants to deal with a broken government) and improvements in infrastructure to give the area a north-south connection.

Not only that but Augusta doesnt have anything unique to offer most Hi tech industries, maybe that could change if Augusta University develops a world class Cyber Institute with the Georgia Cyber Innovation and Training Center. More importantly the industry needs to be able to stand without the public sector.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:40 AM

The problem is Augusta University is no Georgia Tech, No Stanford, No Berkely or MIT. It is a small regional state public University. Now with time and investment by the state it may develop a reputation as a top school in computer science but it is no where near that now and can't compete with schools like GA Tech in this field. Augusta may very well become the center of the army's cyber security..Just like fort Gordon has been the home of the signal corps for decades. However I think it is overly presumptuous to assume this means Augusta will become the silicon valley of The South. Beyond servicing the needs for the army as the primary client.. I just do not see Augusta becoming a center for hi tech innovation

Last edited by AUGnative; 04-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-12-2017, 11:30 AM

Yeah the High schools in Richmond County are just peachy.. They are so great that people are just flooding into Richmond County so their kids can attend Richmond County high schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area