Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia's Whole Foods didn't close though and it has Trader Joe's. *shrugs*

I'm still laughing at the ridiculous title of this thread. Just in terms of growth alone, Augusta would be 6th or 7th in SC behind Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Greenville, Columbia, the Charlotte suburbs, and maybe Hilton Head/Beaufort.
I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond. Somebody from Columbia is reviving old threads to purposely bash Augusta. Sprouts was only mentioned because the individual said I-20.

Columbia never got Apple or PF Changs either. I don't really understand your point.

The growth is based on job growth and single family growth in 2017. No, the other cities besides Myrtle Beach do not beat Augusta in those categories. Augusta would rank 2nd and not 6th or 7th. The only thing laughable is the post from the Columbia native.

According to figures presented during the 37th Annual Economic Outlook Conference, Augusta had the second-highest employment gains among the state’s metro areas through October, at 3.2 percent (behind only Myrtle Beach’s 3.4 percent), as well as the biggest unemployment rate decline, at -1.2 percent (higher than Myrtle Beach’s -0.8 percent).

Augusta’s 6 percent growth in single family homes lagged behind Florence and Myrtle Beach’s 24.4 percent and 22.5 percent, respectively, but was just slightly behind Columbia’s 6.2 percent and was twice the rate of Charleston (2.8 percent).

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-11-2018 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond. Somebody from Columbia is reviving old threads to purposely bash Augusta. Sprouts was only mentioned because the individual said I-20.

Columbia never got Apple or PF Changs either. I don't really understand your point.

The growth is based on job growth and single family growth in 2017. No, the other cities besides Myrtle Beach do not beat Augusta in those categories. Augusta would rank 2nd and not 6th or 7th. The only thing laughable is the post from the Columbia native.

According to figures presented during the 37th Annual Economic Outlook Conference, Augusta had the second-highest employment gains among the state’s metro areas through October, at 3.2 percent (behind only Myrtle Beach’s 3.4 percent), as well as the biggest unemployment rate decline, at -1.2 percent (higher than Myrtle Beach’s -0.8 percent).

Augusta’s 6 percent growth in single family homes lagged behind Florence and Myrtle Beach’s 24.4 percent and 22.5 percent, respectively, but was just slightly behind Columbia’s 6.2 percent and was twice the rate of Charleston (2.8 percent).
Notice that I was talking about population growth. Augusta's is pretty anemic compared to SC's metros.

How about you post some recent job growth figures? Let's see how Augusta is currently holding up as SC's so-called "bright spot."

Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:

That’s hilarious actually, because last time I was there and listened to them ask for area codes, all I heard was 803, 803, 803, etc. And ooooh, P.F. Chang’s. We have non chains to cover our local Asian. Most of which are, downtown. Something Augusta secretly lacks. Good downtown restaurants.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
That’s hilarious actually, because last time I was there and listened to them ask for area codes, all I heard was 803, 803, 803, etc. And ooooh, P.F. Chang’s. We have non chains to cover our local Asian. Most of which are, downtown. Something Augusta secretly lacks. Good downtown restaurants.
Augusta lacks good dowtown resturants? Obviously trolling. Downtown lacks entertainment and housing, but definitely not good restaurants.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM

568 posts, read 699,131 times
You tell'em Chrissy!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:

Do you realize that those places already have more jobs than Augusta and probably also added more in raw number jobs? Percentage is based on what you already have in place, so an area with less jobs doesn't need as much to bump percentages. Compare the GDPs. I think that's a good indicator. I don't see anything wrong with loving your area, but realistically it isn't growing at the pace of these cities. Atlanta is getting most of Georgia's growth. This stuff is always fun to discuss though.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:17 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
A better name for this thread would be "Columbia County: Augusta's Bright Spot"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area