Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 743 times

Advertisements

We are are moving to the Augusta area in December. We were in Augusta visiting a few weeks ago and liked many of the areas, but can't decide where to live. Any help you can give would be great.

We are looking for a nice house with 3 or 4 bedroom. Our budget is 300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 PM

937 posts, read 864,211 times
From what I've seen, alot of people are moving to the city. Anyway, I'd recommend you moving to West Augusta. The homes are very nice and are pretty affordable (You can easily get an all-brick home for 200K). It's also close to most of the shopping in the area. I would also recommend Summerville. It's very historic area of Augusta and is a beautiful place to live. I'll find out more about the area.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,033,893 times
I wouldn't say "a lot" of people are moving to the city of Augusta. In fact the population is about what it was 8 years ago.. actually down slightly from the 2000 census. Columbia County, however, is growing, and is the best area to live if you have school age children. Most of the newer shopping centers and restaurants are being buit on the westside and in Columbia County (specifically the Evans area). Housing overall is very cheap in the Augusta area and is probably the best thing about the area.. but home values also do not escalate as rapidly as they do in other markets. The Hill area is very nice.. older historic neighborhoods.. tree lined streets.. sidewalks...and a lot of homes have been put on the market in that area recently with some good deals to be had. But be warned.. you will be zoned for Richmond County schools.. with a few exceptions, it's a pretty lousy school system.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 PM

12 posts, read 14,319 times
There is a new influx of people moving back into the city of augusta. With all the new downtown urban renewal projects. Alot of condos, lofts, aparments, and townhomes are being built dowtown. Also alot of new neighborhoods are popping up in the rural area of south augusta in the country. The new neighborhoods in the hephzibah, blythe, and mcbean area is receiving alot of attention by developers. All the land even though its far away from the urban part of augusta. Its still part of richmond county's population but not augusta's.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM

66 posts, read 201,713 times
The problem with moving downtown or to the south side is that your so far away from most of your dining and shopping options. It's great that there is new housing going in, and that they are trying to renew downtown, but they really need some more businesses downtown if they want that area to become viable again.

I also don't understand why they tend to clump shopping and dining in a single area of town. I used to live in Kalamazoo, Michigan, a city about the same size as Augusta, but it feels like its much larger. The main reason, I feel, is that shopping and dining are located in several areas around town. The downtown area is fairly busy, and they have their mall area, but there are shopping centers like the Augusta Exchange, located around town, forming sort of neighborhood hubs. I rarely visit the south side of town simply because there isn't much down there except for residential areas. Where as in Kalamazoo, I might travel to a lot of neighborhoods since there were restaurants all over town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area