Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times

Advertisements

I read the article and am familiar with this group. I think it says they "hope" to have it open by 2009. For this to open.. they have to get cooperation from the city (which so far they have not received).. the city controls the canal and the floodgates at the dam at 13st..the city would have to open them.. and then there are probably some federal and state bureaucracies that would have to sign off on it too.
This group is headed by Scoot Hudson.. a local radio personality.. who took it upon himself to gather up friends and "clean up" a part of the canal known as the aqueduct.. The place was littered with trash.. the city never bothered to maintain the once scenic area. Well Hudson's volunteer group grew and they got the aqueduct cleaned up and its now a place people can enjoy.. and has returned to its natural setting. Unfortunately, the city seems to be not very cooperative about clearing out the trash and maintaining what the volunteer group has done. Now the volunteers are talking about "cleaning" up the third level of the canal.. the urban portion.. which now is really nothing more than a big ditch.. It is in worse shape than the aqueduct...tons of litter and garbage.. a real eyesore. What this group plans to do is clean it up....remove the trash.. to make it a place where visitors could and would want to go. But As far as making it a whitewater course.. well again that depends on cooperation from the city and other entities like the canal authority (which it is worthy to note has not been very helpful to hudson's group).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 PM

You know sometimes.. you need to read the "full" article and read in between the lines to get the whole story.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 AM

220 posts, read 622,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
You know sometimes.. you need to read the "full" article and read in between the lines to get the whole story.
That's what I have being saying to you. You get all you information on augusta by reading articles. Not by seeing the improvements like me on a everyday basis. Because I live here and see it and you don't. Your first post mention how the canal authority have not appropriated money for the project. Now you say you are familiar with the article and the group. You said it was being done by the canal authority in your first post. But now you find out is getting done by citizens and not a board. And say you are familary with the group.

And i like how you just posted a fasle article. It doesn't say anywhere the hope to have it open.

CLEAR AS DAY FROM THE ARTICLE.
White Water Park is set to open June of 2009. It will run from Sacred Heart down to Hawks Gully. It would be located right under the Calhoun Expressway.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:11 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
"is set to open" is different then "it will open."

Old 07-31-2008, 12:17 AM

220 posts, read 622,766 times
Quote:
I read the article and am familiar with this group. I think it says they "hope" to have it open by 2009. For this to open.. they have to get cooperation from the city (which so far they have not received).. the city controls the canal and the floodgates at the dam at 13st..the city would have to open them.. and then there are probably some federal and state bureaucracies that would have to sign off on it too.
This group is headed by Scoot Hudson.. a local radio personality.. who took it upon himself to gather up friends and "clean up" a part of the canal known as the aqueduct.. The place was littered with trash.. the city never bothered to maintain the once scenic area. Well Hudson's volunteer group grew and they got the aqueduct cleaned up and its now a place people can enjoy.. and has returned to its natural setting. Unfortunately, the city seems to be not very cooperative about clearing out the trash and maintaining what the volunteer group has done. Now the volunteers are talking about "cleaning" up the third level of the canal.. the urban portion.. which now is really nothing more than a big ditch.. It is in worse shape than the aqueduct...tons of litter and garbage.. a real eyesore. What this group plans to do is clean it up....remove the trash.. to make it a place where visitors could and would want to go. But As far as making it a whitewater course.. well again that depends on cooperation from the city and other entities like the canal authority (which it is worthy to note has not been very helpful to hudson's group).
This is the original article. Before you made up your own version of it. Why do the two articles look so totally diffrent

mod cut: text removed and link added

http://www.wrdw.com/homeandfamily/headlines/21825854.html (broken link)

Please post the link to the article with the words in the same order you stated above. Because the article i posted says nothing like this. You made this up yourself.

Wow you are really getting pathetic now. And don't try to change this fasle article when you learned I caught you. Why take words from other articles and put them in the order you want.

Like I can tell you added this to your own article.

From disgustasucks made up article
[quote=DisgustaSucks;4672841]
But As far as making it a whitewater course.. well again that depends on cooperation from the city and other entities like the canal authority (which it is worthy to note has not been very helpful to hudson's group)
[quote]

From the orginal aricle
It doesn't look as if it will come at an immediate cost to taxpayers. "I've got plenty of volunteers thanks to WRDW and other media. My inbox and my email is just going crazy with people going when are you gonna be out there? We want to help," said Scott.
A team of volunteers will have the task of cleaning up the third level of the canal.

Thats what i was trying to tell you in the beginning. Its getting done by private citizens who are volunteers. Why do you not understand that.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-31-2008 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: copyright issues when copy-and-pasting an entire copyrighted article.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 AM

I am very familiar with the group.. in fact a relative of mine has volunteered at the aqueduct several times with Scott's group.. and he plans to do the same with the thrid level cleanup.
I just find it amazing that a group of citizens has to take it upon themselves to do something that the city should be doing (cleaning up trashand maintaining the canal).. The city basically ignored the canal for decades and allowed it to turn into an eyesore rather than make it into an asset and an attraction for the city.
My brother in law tells me that he was amazed at how uncooperative the city and canal authority have been.. the canal authority even criticised them for removing old tires and trash as "disturbing wetlands".. and this is so typical in Augusta.. when concerned citizens do get involved to make the city better they are met with criticism and uncooperativeness from the city bureaucracies. They asked for a small sliver of SPLOST money and were basically told.."maybe next year."
Now compare this to what Greenville did with Reedy Creek Park.. that's what can be accomplished when you have a city that's cooperative and visionary. Now the city of Augusta has not even committed to maintain the aqueduct park or patrol it to prevent illegal dumping.. But Scott Hudson and his crew are doing a heck of a job.. just too bad they don't have more cooperation from the powers that be.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
But I thought judgeme said Greenville didn't have a WH/BM in 1996. LOL.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:12 AM

110 posts, read 321,133 times
Quote:
I just find it amazing that a group of citizens has to take it upon themselves to do something that the city should be doing (cleaning up trashand maintaining the canal).. The city basically ignored the canal for decades and allowed it to turn into an eyesore rather than make it into an asset and an attraction for the city...
It is a shame. But the great thing is that somebody decided to just go and do it on their own, and then all sorts of people came out to help!

There are definetly some small minded people in power in Augusta who enjoy wielding their power over people, keep them in their place, and try to keep it to their circle of power. I have some stories too. But I've seen it in other places too. But it is changing here.

Also, for those interested: Meet at Aquaduct Park (Going East on Broad Street, take a right on Goodrich, follow it across the railroad tracks and past the confederate powderworks) Saturday morning. Bring work gloves, and any gardening or digging tools you may have. Bring a towl or shirt for swimming, it might get hot and that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area