Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 17,686 times

Advertisements

My husband has been accepted to the MCG!. We live in Woodstock Ga now. I have 2 daughters one middle school aged and a toddler. I really need a little advice on some areas we can enjoy raising our kids for the next 4-5 years. I love the community i am in now. There are a lot of family friendly activities and i am looking for that in Augusta. Where are the best schools?. Where are the best communities for families of students? Any help will be grately appreciated!!. I'll be visiting Augusta Jan 5th for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,548 times
You will probably want to look at Evans in Columbia County. YOu will want to try and avoid Richmond County public schools. There are a few good schools in Richmond County, but overall the system is well below average.
Also consider North Augusta, SC. It will be much closer to MCG. I would highly recommend teh Hammonds Ferry Devt on the riverfront. It will remind you alot of Seaside, FL.. very similar concept. North Augusta has more of a community feel than Evans, and has a wealth of recreational assets such as the Greenway. The school system is on par with Evans.
Evans is typical suburbia, will remind you of Woodstock, except without the mainstreet area. If I were going to buy a new home today I would definately look into Hammonds Ferry in North Augusta.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks! I have heard a lot about Evans and Martinez. What do you think about Martinez?. We were looking into renting a home. We will only be in Augusta for about 4 years. We really don't want the hassle of trying to put a house on the market. We are planning to come back to Woodstock. Any other advice would be great!

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2z View Post
Thanks! I have heard a lot about Evans and Martinez. What do you think about Martinez?. We were looking into renting a home. We will only be in Augusta for about 4 years. We really don't want the hassle of trying to put a house on the market. We are planning to come back to Woodstock. Any other advice would be great!

Thanks!
Martinez should be fine.. it's in Columbia County so better schools.. and the houses there tend to be cheaper than Evans.. you are also closer to Riverwatch Parkway which will be a straight shot down to MCG.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:38 PM

lilmusket thanks so much! you rock!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 15,815 times
If you are living in Columbia County make sure your home is zoned for Greenbrier or Lakeside.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks Targety! What i have learned from all the info on the Augusta threads is to stay in Columbia County! What are some good areas to live outside of Augusta?. My husband is willing to drive 30-40 minutes to school if he has to.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM

Yes.. the general rule of thumb if you have school aged kids and are moving to Augusta area is to look in Columbia County and specifically, look east of Washington Rd.. that where the lakside?greenbrier districts are.. best schools are in that area.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 AM

220 posts, read 622,450 times
Lol the poster's telling you to stay in columbia county. Probably live there that's why. You want see to many Richmond, Aiken, Mcduffie, Burke or other's saying that. Columbia county growth is going a good rate. But its only the third highest populated county in the metro. Behind Richmond with over 200,000 Aiken with 155,000 and Columbia 107,000

Old 01-11-2009, 07:38 PM

I went to Augusta on the 5th! We like the Evans area lil musket you were so right Evans reminded us of Woodstock big time!. We felt right at home. Does anyone know anything about Evans Middle School?

We decided it would be easier to just rent an apartment. As of right now our plans are to come back to Woodstock. But you never know!!

Are there any nice safe apartments in the Lakeside or Greenbrier school districts. Finding a great school for my daughter is our #1 priority. We will base where we live on what school is best for her.

Thanks for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area