Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times

Advertisements

The Augusta Exchange area is building up quite nicely... From retail, restaurants, doctors hosptial new buildings, banks, offices, etc... I already see people walking or jogging on walton way ext and wheeler rd sometimes..

Parc at Flowing Wells 346 units... Brookstone 59 single family home sites, 88 town home sites, 84unit condominium community... Belmont Landing, Townhomes at Sanctuary, West Wheeler Townhomes, Magnolia Villas, and Brigham Woods... Townhomes at Sanctuary and Belmont Landing are completed are the rest are still under construction...

Their is another 300 unit residential area about to start construction.. The location is between I-20 and Pleasant Home rd off Walton Way Extension.

Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details

How dense and urban will the area become???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,761 times
I don't think, with it's current building style, that it will ever become 'urban', especially in the traditional sense of the word which is what I believe you mean. 'Urban' is like how downtown is: sidewalks, on-street parking, stores/restaurants built right up to the street, etc. The exchange area is suburban in nature and design, and therefore, without extreme rebuilding, will never be 'urban'. It can, however become more densely built and as a result, more congested; but as long as there is the sea of surface parking and suburban-style strip center building design, it will never be 'urban'. Same goes for Washington Road. Sorry.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:51 PM

By the way, the address for that new apartment complex: 3715 WALTON WAY EXT, isn't that the site where that 'Forum Augusta' or whatever it was called was going to be built? That project seems to be abandoned. The developer, Forum Development, seems to have either went under or has been purchased by another company: http://forumdevgroup.com/

Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM

The Forum has been abandoned since 2008... Crane Creek is not associated with the Forum development...

''An Atlanta group has backed out of a proposed retail-residential development along Walton Way Extension. The 44-acre project, which was once known as The Forum-Augusta, is now completely under the control of Blanchard and Calhoun Commercial Corp., which was brought in to assist Forum Development Group in July.

Changes to the project received a favorable nod by the Augusta-Richmond County Planning Commission on Monday. The matter will go before the Augusta Commission on May 20. What started as a 300,000-square-foot retail lifestyle center with condos on top of retail stores is now a 75,000-square-foot retail development fronting Walton Way Extension with a 330-unit apartment complex behind it''.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/050608/bus_197824.shtml

I'm not sure if Blanchard and Calhoun are still behind the devlopment. They made have sold the property to somebody. Or they could be working in conjuction with other developers... Crane Creek Apartments was submitted May 20th, 2010. It's the newest development on the list to have to be approved...
http://appweb.augustaga.gov/planning_zoning/Plazid_Results.asp?pro=&offset=0

I think the AE area will become more a urban. Obviously it won't look like downtown Augusta. The AE area can only built up similar to downtown...

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-21-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Ah, OK, thanks for clearing that up...the last thing I heard about it was when it was first proposed. I remember going to the Forum Development website and seeing their page for it, but then their whole site went down late last year. Also, that Chronicle link is dead, if you have an updated bookmark available I'd like to see the article...

Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Ah, OK, thanks for clearing that up...the last thing I heard about it was when it was first proposed. I remember going to the Forum Development website and seeing their page for it, but then their whole site went down late last year. Also, that Chronicle link is dead, if you have an updated bookmark available I'd like to see the article...
Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 PM

The Brigham Woods development is completed. 1 to 3 bedrooms, $775-$1300...
Brigham Woods - The Fine Art of Apartment Living - Augusta, Georgia
But they're still building a couple of more residential units in Brigham Woods..
Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details

I saw like 3 or 4 more buildings going up in Brigham Woods today. You can see them while driving down I-20...

The Augusta Exchange area has some nice office and hospital buildings over 3 floors... All you need is one building over 8 stories.. I don't think Doctors Hospital has a building that tall. Then the trend on taller buildings will continue

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-22-2010 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area