Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Anyway, half of your list can be turned around into positives in my view. I love the fact that I can go anywhere in jeans and a t-shirt. It's as laid-back as my hometown of San Diego. Who needs major tourist attractions and pro sports teams when they just cause extra traffic? San Francisco has probably been the most liberal city in the Nation for the past 50 years. Who actually believes that Austin is anything like San Francisco? Some people like myself like warmer temperatures.

Hopefully you'll be able to move to a more expensive place like San Francisco again so you'll be happier. No place is ideal for everyone. That's what makes the U.S. so great. You can move to any other city or state whenever you desire.
[mod]orphaned[/mod[

Interesting choice for the OP's very first post in City-Data.

Addressing the OP's complaints:

1. Yes, it gets hot here. It always has (at least for the last few millenia), and that's never been a big secret, and in the days of the internet, it's a lot LESS of a secret. You're really reduced to complaining about the weather as your very first point?

2. The only people who seem to claim that Austin is so very, very liberal are people who are moving here from liberal places and have a stereotypical idea of Texas in general. Austin is really much more libertarian (as in, I don't CARE what your politics are, as long as you can control yourself enough to be polite and keep them out of my face, what kind of neighbor and person are you?) than liberal (as is most of Texas, really, but lots of folks are too scared by the stereotypes to get out and actually experience it and talk to the locals). So, it's not Austin, per se, that's telling everyone how very liberal it is, but other folks.

3. As far as "culture" is concerned, I'll tell you what I tell others with that attitude, along with the whine "there's nothing to dooooo": you really don't get out much, do you? Want to have your culture spoonfed to you instead of making the most minimal effort to find it? That's not Austin's problem - if you're an adult, it's your own responsibility to look for the many offerings that are available.

4. Ah, I see, you think that Austin entertainment is limited to 6th Street, when, in fact, 6th Street is mostly for tourists and college kids (neither of whom know any better). That would explain a lot. As for cost of living, well, it's driven pretty much by how many people want to live here - and apparently enough people like Austin and want to live here to drive it up (plus all those people moving in thinking it's such a liberal oasis, coming here from REALLY overpriced areas and thinking what a bargain we are).

5. I, personally, don't know of anyone who particularly bashes other places in Texas, but maybe it's all about who I hang out with. Most colleges and universities have school spirit, and think that their school is the best school (else they wouldn't be going there), so I don't think that's anywhere near uniquely Austin. Besides, you really shouldn't be complaining about someone bashing someplace, if you don't want to seem hypocritical, now, should you?

6. One of the joys of Austin is that you can see people in formal (yes, real formal) attire at a fine dining establishment right next to people in jeans and cowboy boots. (And usually the ones in the jeans and boots could buy the ones in the formal attire lock, stock and barrel.) Austin's casual atmosphere has been around for at least as long as I've been here - 4 decades - and it's famous for it, how is it that it comes as as surprise to you?

7. Austin's been going green for at least the last three decades. It is taking a while, I grant you, but on the overall scale, I'd say we're doing pretty well. We're working on it, anyway. (What city do you think is already there?)

By the way, like I said, lived here for 40 years (came here for college, never left, like a lot of people). I can't remember the last time that my life revolved around either the State Capitol or UT - it's been at least 3-3-1/2 decades. Again, based on what you have to say, you really don't get out much, do you, to explore the city you live in and find its beauties? No wonder you can't stand it.

Does Austin have it's problems? Sure, all cities do - and Austin's are increased by so many people coming here and not wanting to leave. But it's not by any means a terrible place to live, with no socially redeeming features whatsoever, as you seem to think. I suspect you might need to look closer to home for the source of your apparent unhappiness.

Last edited by Bo; 07-02-2010 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you replied to was edited

Old 07-02-2010, 01:53 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
I'll be honest with everyone and say Austin isn't all it's hyped up to be. Yes, it's a friendly city, but it does absolutely nothing for me. I'll gladly state why I dislike Austin.

1.) IT'S HOTTER THAN HELL MOST OF THE TIME.

2.) AUSTIN ISN'T AS LIBERAL AS EVERYONE THINKS IT IS. .

3.) THERE ISN'T MUCH CULTURE HERE.

4.) THIS CITY IS WAY OVERPRICED.

5.) AUSTIN HAS A VERY ELITIST ATTITUDE.

6.) THE CASUAL ATMOSPHERE IS QUITE UNBECOMING.

7.) AUSTIN ISN'T THE GREENEST CITY IN AMERICA.
1. If you hate hot weather, don't move here. I like the weather from October through April. May is OK. Yes, it's hotter than a ***** in church for four months. But compared to any place colder than here, I'll put up with the heat. I like riding with the top down. I like being able to wash my car in January. I like the fact that I lived in my house for four years before starting a fire in the fireplace.

2. So what? That's not why most of us moved here. you can find lots of liberals (and every other persuasion) here in austin.

3. One man's culture is another man's waste of time. Most here enjoy a lot of other stuff such as boating, golf, cycling, bar hopping, etc. and going to the dozens and dozens of hole in the wall bars and restaurants.

4. Overpriced???? have you been to either coast? Compared to Lubbock, maybe it is. Compared to San Fran or Boston.... it's cheap.

5. You must be hangin with the wrong crowd. I'm around lots of people here who are multi millionaires and are as loose and casual as a stoner in Amsterdam.

6. Then leave. That's why many of us moved here.

7. So what? That had nothing to do with many of us moving here. Austin does a lot to protect the environment, but I really don't care if it's the greenest city... or even in the top ten.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,917,117 times

1.) IT'S HOTTER THAN HELL MOST OF THE TIME. It's a different kind of heat (as in baking). It can be 120 in the shade and you not breaking a sweat. There are two seasons - 9 months of summer and 3 months winter.

I remember but in the 80's went swimming at Barton Springs the day after thanksgiving. As for the winter - the first notice of a snow storm everyone goes down to their local HEB and stocks up. One to three inches of snow is considered a blizzard.

2.) AUSTIN IN MORE CONSERVATIVE - Yes there is Liberalism as the belief in the importance of living day to day and planning for the future. This is similar to the comparison to a 20yr to a 40yr old person. People start thinking about their future when they are in their 30's. You haven't gotton" there yet

I agree there's no comparison between Austin and San Fran / New York or any other city here in America. People operate a little slower then the rest of the country, as in "It Can Wait Till Tomorrow" attitude. As for Austin being racially segregated, I tend not to agree with that either. Yes there are more White's and Spanish compared to Asians and Blacks. It depends on what neighborhood you go to.

3.) THERE ISN'T MUCH CULTURE HERE - The music in Austin is different from anywhere esle in the country, some people might call it lame, where others will dance to it all night. Yes Austin has some nice landmarks, as well as San Antonio, compared to California napa wine country and pier 49, compared to the strip in Baltimore, compared to Georgetown outside DC, compared to Miami, these are nice places to visit.

As for restaurants - Austin is pretty lame, except for BBQ. Many many occasions here up north, I'd ask for BBQ, and they'd brought me out little chicken fingers. I have traveled across the country and can say Austin has the best barbecue.

As for radio stations, my rental cars had satellite radio. Sometime had some good R&R, then other times some good Progressive House. But most of the time kept it off. You can think clearer just driving with no music - don't believe my try it for a day.

4.) THIS CITY IS WAY OVERPRICED - that depends on what you are buying. Housing value is stable compared to the rest of the country, taxes are a little lower then other parts of the country. Going to clothing stores, clothes are cheaper. Gas in $00.40 cheaper per gallon the New York and California. As for the entertainment, that depends on what you want to do. Five of us went Kayaking down the Guadalupe river for the first time, those 5 hours I will relive for the rest of my life. My son and I went to the movies in Round Rock, there was a $1.75 per person movie house. I was about to rent a boat for the day out at Lake Travis, just I'll do that next time. Austin and the surrounding area has lots to do especially during the day time, the secret is finding out about it before you visit Austin.

5.) AUSTIN HAS A VERY ELITIST ATTITUDE. - anywhere you go, you will find these types of people. Stop worrying about them, and focus more about you. I moved to New York years ago, with my Texas attitude I was trying to make friends with everyone I met. It took a few years to realize, people will except you for who you are - just be your self.

6.) THE CASUAL ATMOSPHERE IS QUITE UNBECOMING. I agree with people not knowing about formal wear. Being casual in Texas is the way of life, being sophisticated is in the eye of the beholder.

7.) AUSTIN ISN'T THE GREENEST CITY IN AMERICA. I totally agree, I seen places in other states where they have the wind tribunes, solar panels, and water paddles that generate electricity. My trip driving around Austin recently (4 gas fill ups in one weekend). Only saw a few signs on the highway referring to the environment. I did not see one Smart Car, here in New York they are every where.

You are wrong about Austin not being the best to raise a family. If fact it may be one of the best places in America. Why because things are so spread out. There is a very strong southern baptist way of approaching things. People are polite and go out of there way to assist you.

It blew my mind when my son and I was getting a burger at Whattabugger. We placed our order, they gave us a number and told us to sit while we waited. They brought our food out, then they brought out a ketchup tray offering us salt and pepper. I have eating at different $100 a plate restaurants on the east coast. There $5.00 meal with their service blew me away, and it wasn't just in one store. Everywhere we stopped people went out of their way to help us. Just for that attitude, I truly believe Austin is a good place to raise a family.

I grew up around Austin for half my life. I moved away from it for the same thing you are experiencing now. No work. When I got out of college back in the 80's - 6 weeks later had a job flying around the country living out of a suit case.

It was great at first, but after 3 years of hotels, running through airports to catch a connecting flight, eating in every junk food restruant, meeting with business owners, them wine and dinning you so you would sign off on their product so it could ship. Every time I would arrive back in Austin I remember thinking that is no place like home.

My advice to a college grad with no experience. Do something that you can bank on today that you can use tomorrow. Better yet - get a partner to help you advance in your life.

GL....

Old 07-02-2010, 02:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,310,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
1. If you hate hot weather, don't move here. I like the weather from October through April. May is OK. Yes, it's hotter than a ***** in church for four months. But compared to any place colder than here, I'll put up with the heat. I like riding with the top down. I like being able to wash my car in January. I like the fact that I lived in my house for four years before starting a fire in the fireplace.

2. So what? That's not why most of us moved here. you can find lots of liberals (and every other persuasion) here in austin.

3. One man's culture is another man's waste of time. Most here enjoy a lot of other stuff such as boating, golf, cycling, bar hopping, etc. and going to the dozens and dozens of hole in the wall bars and restaurants.

4. Overpriced???? have you been to either coast? Compared to Lubbock, maybe it is. Compared to San Fran or Boston.... it's cheap.

5. You must be hangin with the wrong crowd. I'm around lots of people here who are multi millionaires and are as loose and casual as a stoner in Amsterdam.

6. Then leave. That's why many of us moved here.

7. So what? That had nothing to do with many of us moving here. Austin does a lot to protect the environment, but I really don't care if it's the greenest city... or even in the top ten.
I agree with Roadking2003. The crowd you're hanging with has alot to do with an outlook. In your OP you mentioned that you went to a wedding and couldn't believe the causual state of things....ehm, this is why most people move here! You seem to have some internal "rules" that everyone should follow, and that's ok. Just realize that Austin is beyond that. Austin has a nice vibe even with so many people moving here on a daily basis.

I hope you find a place that follows your type of rules and expectations. I hope before you leave that you can smile when you see Leslie, I hope you laugh when you realize Mopac (Loop 1) isn't a loop at all, I hope you can in one night go to an Opra AND Raggae club, I hope you get to go boating and listen to live music at the same time.....

Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM

52 posts, read 152,942 times
I think Austin kind of has an "underground" scene that many don't know about. Go to Hyde Park and you will see a vibrant, artistic culture. Even if you can' see it, if you meet the right people, you will be introduced to it.

It is true that many Austinites have a holier-than-thou mentality. It is because we are prideful. We are proud that we live in a unique city in a state that is close-minded. Sure, we may not be more liberal than San Fransisco, but how many places in Texas do you know where Gay/Lesbian couples publically hold hands while walking through the neighborhood? How many cities do you know where a transgendered homeless person can be someone that everyone loves and is proud of?!

Yes, the weather is ridiculous. And, there are many things about our city that need to be improved. But at least for me, I will always be an Austinite before I am a Texas. I love this city to death and when I move to San Antonio in the fall, I am sure people will be annoyed by me constantly preaching about Austin!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
Quote:
it's super humid like a swamp, and the air is thick enough to swim through.
This just isn't true. During most of the summer you can find a nice breeze and sit in the shade and be comfortable. That isn't the case when humidity is high.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:33 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
I'll be honest with everyone and say Austin isn't all it's hyped up to be. Yes, it's a friendly city, but it does absolutely nothing for me. I'll gladly state why I dislike Austin.

1.) IT'S HOTTER THAN HELL MOST OF THE TIME. The only real season here is summer. The spring and fall last all but a month, and the winter is maybe two weeks. Summer here begins about mid-April and goes all the way into November. Not to mention, it's super humid like a swamp, and the air is thick enough to swim through.

2.) AUSTIN ISN'T AS LIBERAL AS EVERYONE THINKS IT IS. Yes, it's progressive for a Texas city, but that's not saying much. Trust me; I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for three years, and there's no comparison between the two. Need I remind everyone Austin is the Capital of Texas, one of the most backward states in the Union? Most of those right-wing radical politicians live here and not Dallas nor Houston. Needless to say, Austin is one of the most racially segregated cities in America.

3.) THERE ISN'T MUCH CULTURE HERE. South by Southwest lasts one week out of the year, and it's usually crowded and overpriced. The music scene here is quite lame.. I find it ironic how the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capital of the World" has no opera, symphony, or orchestra .Okay, so there's a few nice parks here. Whoopie! Some people here think watching bats fly off Congress Bridge is exciting, too. There are no professional sports teams, planetariums, major museums, zoos, aquariums, or other major amenities here. Yes, I know San Antonio is down the road. Baltimore is down the road from Washington, D.C, and San Diego is not far from Los Angeles. That said, their juxtapositions towards other major cities didn't stop those locales from maturing. Austin has some good restaurants, but the shopping here is lame at best. Even the radio stations in Austin are dull.

4.) THIS CITY IS WAY OVERPRICED. The cost of living here is outrageous for a city with little activity and too much traffic. If the city of Austin is going to milk its residences for every penny, the least they could do is give them some entertainment back in return. Not everyone wants to go down to Sixth Street and watch a bunch of 40-year-old adolescents play mediocre music at best.

5.) AUSTIN HAS A VERY ELITIST ATTITUDE. My older brother in Houston first took note of this, and I must say I agree. UT is a very preppy school with a "holier than thou" mindset. The locals here think they're smarter and more sophisticated than anywhere else in Texas. They're forgetting NASA is located in Houston, and both Houston and Dallas have far more culture than Austin. In fact, I read recently that Houston was ranked one of America's top ten most underrated cities. The Austinites love bashing everywhere else in Texas, yet they get their panties in a wad when someone else returns the favor.

6.) THE CASUAL ATMOSPHERE IS QUITE UNBECOMING. The people here have no concept whatsoever about formal wear. Whenever I walk into a high-class restaurant, I see them wearing jeans, t-shirts, shorts, sneakers, sandals, or flipflops. In every other city I'd lived, I'd be thrown out of a restaurant for not wearing nice clothes and a tie. I even went to a wedding where people dressed casually. How pathetic is that? If Austin wants the reputation of being the most sophisticated city in Texas, the least they could do is act like it.

7.) AUSTIN ISN'T THE GREENEST CITY IN AMERICA. I love how the locals brag about that, too. They claim everything is environmentally friendly, yet everywhere I look people drive gas-guzzling SUV's and pick-up trucks. Plus, there's trash all over the feeder roads, and hardly anyone recycles here. Electric bills are sky-high because they still run off a natural gas plant. Let's seem the start driving smart cars, recycling everything, cleaning up trash, and using renewable energy like solar, wind, or geothermal power, then they can boast about how green they are.

If you want to live in a city that refuses to grow up and the adults act like college kids, you might like Austin just fine. However, if you're looking for a mature city that's affordable and has several activities going on, then I'd recommend staying away from Austin. The entire cultural hearth of this city revolves either around UT or the State Capitol. They didn't broaden their horizons like every other place I've lived. I'm sure the reader is wonder why I don't just leave this place. Believe me, I would if I had the means. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here for the time being due to the economy and whatnot. Also, I just graduated college not long ago, so I must get some experience before I go elsewhere. Rest assured I'll be leaving Austin in the not-too-distant future, and this time I won't be coming back.
I agree.

I was disappointed as well.

But, after all, it's still Texas.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM

653 posts, read 1,795,124 times
I agree with the not being very green.
I hardly expected Austin to be the place where I was told I could not put the most "green" roof on my house, because it didn't look right.

As for the Heat, I thought Winter was lovely, and Spring and Fall not so bad.
There are places where one has to put up with very hot temperatures in summer, and then very cold temperatures in the Winter. So although I don't like the climate as much as I did the temperate Valley I previously lived in, it is still better than many other places.

Elitist?
I think the nature of your post indicates that you might be an Elitist and just not yet realize it.

Overpriced compared to where? There are far pricier places and far less pricey places.

As for being Liberal, it seems to have a very similar mix to other places I have lived.
As for what "Everyone" thinks; both You and I are subsets of the larger set that consists of "Everyone".
Rarely does "Everyone" think the same thing.

I totally want to live around people that do not want to grow up in certain ways, as long as they grow up enough to become people who contribute to society, or at least don't leach from it (basically earn their own living and not negatively impact others).
Beyond that, I see little value in "growing up".

Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,867 times
By the way it's not fabulous, or 'weird' anymore, the new marketing 'brand' is 'Austintacious"!
http://forum.thescubasite.com/animated/anim_59.gif (broken link)

Isn't that just 'delightful'?
"touché "

Someone should make doilies!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:51 PM

302 posts, read 690,797 times
As most people have answered, a lot of the negatives mentioned can be turned into positives. Austin is a great place to raise a family. I personally love it.

As for your specific gripes:

1) It's hot. You either like the heat or not. If you don't, what the heck are you doing in Texas?

2) It's not San Fran, but it's not Arkansas. Live and let live is pretty much the motto here.

3) This is not Manhattan. If you want opera or fine arts, again, what are you doing in Texas?

4) Austin is overpriced? You lived in San Francisco and you think Austin is overpriced??? Were you by any chance living in an apartment owned by your parents?? Did you never pay for housing over there???

5) Austin does NOT have an elitist attitude. Quite frankly, it sounds like you and your sibling have a "Houston inferiority complex" more than anything. I've noticed a lot of hostility from Houstonites regarding Austin being considered "better" than Houston. Says more about them than it does about us.

6) If you are against Casual Atmosphere, again, what are you doing anywhere in the South?

7) And regarding the city being green, it's probably greener than a large number of other cities. And it's continuously making improvements to be "greener".

Pardon my bias, but Austin is just "cool". What's that saying about being cool? "You either are cool or you aren't. And if you're trying to be cool, you aren't." Austin just is. Or enough people outside of Austin want it to be, that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin