Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:04 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
And you calling the house there a "dump" and saying it makes you "want to throw up in your mouth" makes me sort of hope that you settle on another destination, rather than Austin. Just my humble opinion.
So you want more people who think 867 square feet at $500,000 is a value in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 11:03 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Oh, come on! Let the guy rant about prices in California. I don't think he said anything about the only indicator of a happy lifestyle is how much you are spending on a house.

When homeownership is so far out of reach of most people in particular areas it can become very demoralizing. Even if you do own a home like we did in a more expensive market, and you have no disposable income because of housing cost, higher gasoline prices, higher food costs, etc., it beats you down.

And really? How can you find his comments so offensive that you don't want this guy in Austin? I think you must have read something on another post that has got your undies in a bunch, because the OPs comments just aren't all that bad. That or you are projecting some issues you have with your mother in the mobile home on the gravel road.
Projection could always be occuring, you never know.

But then again, the OP was negative. Very negative. You might commiserate with him (projecting your own feelings about seattle) but it doesn't change the fact that most people on this thread, myself included, showed the same amount of respect and kindness in our post that the OP showed in his. In fact, almost all my negative comments were direct quotes from the OP.

You want to allow him to vent his feelings and rant. More power to you. I was just trying to answer the OP's implied question, which was "don't you think this is a ridiculous price for a home". I don't think it is.

I also don't think the house in question is "a dump" and it doesn't make me want to "throw up in my mouth". These are phrases that you feel don't have a negative connotation?

Basically what it comes down to with me Jenni, is that you get back what you put out there. The OP is named sickofcalifornia, s/he calls his friends home a dump and s/he exaggerates like a high school girl "oh my god, i totally want to throw up in my mouth, like yah". When you put that out there, what do you expect to get in return?? I mean really? What do you expect?

If I walked into your home Jenni, and immediately said "I am so sick of my job, everything about it sucks, it's a dump, I hate this, I hate that, pfft, dont' tell me about jobs, I know jobs, it's not worth it. I want to throw up in my mouth. I can't wait to start working at your company Jenni, whoo, it has to be better than the dump I am at", would you be turned off by that behavior? Would you be excited at the prospect of me moving into your neighborhood?

Last edited by JayBrown80; 07-05-2010 at 11:17 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
So you want more people who think 867 square feet at $500,000 is a value in Austin?
Not in the least. Because it wouldn't be a value in Austin. It is a value in Marrin county. I would ask you where I said or even suggested that?

Do your "friends" know that you think their house is a "dump"? That it makes you want to "throw up in your mouth"? Do you have that type of relationship with them?

Irregardless, you didn't really write a question in your original post. You didn't ask anything, you just wanted to point out what you thought was an unreasonable price for a house. Some on this board agree with you, some don't.

As for who I would like to move to Austin? Well, people that are generally happy? People that are positive?

I have found that people who are sickofcalifornia often move to Austin and within 3 months they are sickofaustin. Not because Austin has nothing to offer. Not because California has nothing to offer. But because they are just the type of people that are in general always sickofsomething.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,241 times
Well you're reading way too much into it. I'm a happy person and actually not that negative. But this small run down house selling on the cheap at a half-million exemplifies the problem of real estate prices in California, especially in the area I live. I posted it because I thought some people would get a kick out of it - to many folks unfamiliar with CA prices in real terms, the photos and the price don't add up. Some find it appalling. Some find it hilarious. Some are speechless when they see the listing. I expect more people in this forum have a similar reaction. I also posted it as an example of why so many folks are migrating from my neck of the woods to yours, myself included: prohibitive living expenses. I don't really see what is wrong with thinking so. Obviously others will not agree, and that is also fine. Obviously my friends don't agree or else they wouldn't have bought it (and, yes, I told them I thought it was a dump). There are only a few places in the country where 867 square feet of fixer-upper house costs a cool $500k. It includes most of the major cities in California. I just bought a wonderful huge practically new home in Austin for $300k. I'm not breaking any news stories by posting that "real estate is expensive in CA and much cheaper in TX", but my new home would cost a cool $2 million if I could pick it up and put it down on the same plot of land this house is located on. That is, as the post suggests, why I'm leaving California. I understand a lot of Californians are moving to Austin. This post exemplifies why that is the case. I don't expect everyone to agree with my assessment of the house's looks, price, or value, but I still think I've posed a valid criticism, as well as a way for others to see in real terms why so many are following my migration pattern. This is a relocation forum, right? Why this has gotten you so upset, I cannot fathom.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I totally agree. I had a job offer in Northern CA and after house hunting there, I thought, "No, thanks. Doesn't matter how great the weather is with those ridiculous housing prices."

Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
I'm with you sickofcalifornia.

When we were looking I used the same word, "dump" when speaking about run-down houses that were outrageously priced because they were near Austin. With the air quality so bad in and around the city I'm glad we're rural and NOT in an HOA.

Keep posting reality, (how ever hard it is to believe). Example: the price of that house.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 07-06-2010 at 12:47 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 AM

17 posts, read 50,454 times
OP has a great point - it is one thing when really nice homes are outrageously priced, but this house is tiny and old. What is going on in that garage? If living in Marin is critical and you don't mind less than 900 square feet, you could almost certainly find a condo in much better condition for the same price or less. I've also seen many homes with more square footage, that aren't as old in the same price range in San Rafael, Novato, Fairfax and even parts of Corte Madera, all of which are very close. I question whether this is really a good value, even in Marin. I also wonder if this little house can possibly appreciate in value enough to not be a long-term money loser. If they put down 10% at 4.75% interest on a 30-year fixed, that's about $900k in total costs. Is it possible that this tiny house could one day be worth a million bucks? I guess in California anything is possible. I'm pretty familiar with the area this house is located in. It backs right up to Red Hill. If it could go 30 years without a giant mudslide into their backyard, I would be shocked.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:23 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
All I know is that this is Austin, TX, not California and I'm sick of hearing about California. Why here? Why deep in the heart of TEXAS?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But those examples aren't reflective of the relative differences in housing costs. That 500K CA home had less than 1000 sq. ft. A 300K-400K home in Austin is something quite different.

But I may be wrong anyways. According to the Tax Foundation, per capita property taxes in CA were $1151 in 2007 vs. $1449 for TX. I don't think the difference of about $300 is particularly significant.

Its not $300 for middle class families. Would you like an example?

My buddy lives in California and has a house valued at $350k, which is decent where he is in the Sacramento area. 2300 sq ft established neighborhood with a pool. He pays roughly $2600 per year. Our house is valued at $375k outside Fort Worth, of course its larger 3500 sq ft. Our taxes are over $6000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin