Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,096,404 times

Advertisements

Is there a Four Hands Home store available to the public? If I recall correctly, there was one off of Congress years ago, but I don't think it's there any longer. I went to the website, and it appears that it's now a wholesale business? I read a few recently written reviews about their warehouse sales. Does anyone know if Four Hands sells to the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 AM

43 posts, read 100,972 times
I remember that there use to be one near Airport and 2222. I purchased something from there and so it did sell to the public.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM

326 posts, read 824,382 times
it's pretty confusing, but i recently went to the website and viewed their online catalog and was able to sign up for 'reminders' at which point i received in-store sale info. i have yet to go to the actual store, but seems they do have one.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Thanks @ cdfblair.

@ thedogatemyhomework - I tried to register through the website, but it seems I have to be a distributor or an interior designer. Maybe I was trying to register for a catalog. I don't think it was for a mailing list....but then agian, I don't think I saw an option for a mailing list. So you're right. It's very confusing....

But thank you both for the input.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 PM

326 posts, read 824,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Thanks @ cdfblair.

@ thedogatemyhomework - I tried to register through the website, but it seems I have to be a distributor or an interior designer. Maybe I was trying to register for a catalog. I don't think it was for a mailing list....but then agian, I don't think I saw an option for a mailing list. So you're right. It's very confusing....

But thank you both for the input.
if you send me a private message i can email you the email they have sent me this past weekend - it has more info about 'warehouse specials' etc...

all in all, a rather puzzling marketing strategy

Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,113,789 times
They are a wholesaler but they do have a showroom that is open to the public! And a few times a year they have big warehouse specials where merchandise is marked down and sold to the public.

The showroom is open regularly but I don't think it is available daily. They are located on Woodward Street, east of I-35 and just south of the river.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:47 PM

844 posts, read 2,021,494 times
Quote:
all in all, a rather puzzling marketing strategy
I agree! Do people like that cloak and dagger business and feel like they're getting access to something that is usually only available to "trade"? I don't like it. It feels phoney and annoying. And I don't like the stuff that much anyway

Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
They are a wholesaler but they do have a showroom that is open to the public! And a few times a year they have big warehouse specials where merchandise is marked down and sold to the public.

The showroom is open regularly but I don't think it is available daily. They are located on Woodward Street, east of I-35 and just south of the river.

Thanks for this information. I saw the showroom information on the website, but I wasn't sure if it was open to the public. I'm hoping I can get to the showroom to check out their stuff.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I agree! Do people like that cloak and dagger business and feel like they're getting access to something that is usually only available to "trade"? I don't like it. It feels phoney and annoying. And I don't like the stuff that much anyway
No, I don't like "cloak and dagger" businesses, nor do I feel like I'm getting access to something special. Four Hands used to have an actual store called Four Hands Home off of Congress. I've always been interested in checking out their merchandise, but there was no urgent need. Now that I'm looking for a few unique pieces for our home, I'm scouring Austin for stores that sell handmade and unique items. I've already been to Luis Shanks, Star Furniture and other chain stores. I didn't really find what I'm looking for.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,113,789 times
You know that cool stuff at Crate and Barrel, Room & Board, Viva Terra, etc? Where do you think they get it?

Places like Four Hands! The are a classic wholesaler, middle-man between the artisans and manufacturers and retail stores. I don't think it is as much "cloak and dagger" as a reflection that the vast bulk of their business is not done at the retail level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin