Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

207 posts, read 858,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Clear has an offer, where you can get DirectTV for only $29.99 if you also get Clear internet (which I think was only $30).

But now, after some more reading, I realize that Clear is wireless to my house.
My connection to my employer, will disconnect when it gets one of those tiny single interruptions that are common with wireless (which I would not notice if my work would not disconnect me).

But I am curious if you have a pretty reliable connection with Clear, or if you often have trouble connecting?

I think I am tending toward DSL and an old fashioned TV Antenna.
Clear has a $30 plan which is called Basic Home. It only guarantees 1.5Mbps down and .5Mbps up. For me, thats really slow. I chose the $40 plan. The 6Mbps guaranteed down is fine (although I'm getting much faster) but I was after the 1Mbps up for my Slingbox.

The $29.99 Directv deal is the same thing that Directv offers. I don't think Clear is giving you anything extra just allowing you to submit one order.

Yes, Clear is wireless. They have pretty detailed maps on their website of their coverage area. I am less than 1 mile from my nearest tower and haven't had any issues in the week or so that I have had it. Just like my Directv I'm sure it will go down in big storms but its a trade off from not paying Time Warner another dime. If i lose Clear signal in a storm I still have my 4.3" HTC Evo to search the web on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,769 times
So for decent speed, Clear is no cheaper than DSL or Cable?
Interesting.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
Two things... 1) as stated above, U-verse is not satellite. No connection to weather at all. 2) For the post above me - call uverse customer service, go to the cancellation department and tell them you're considering going to a competitor unless they can make your price better. I call every 6 months and they give me the initial 6-month discount everytime.
I so dislike the practice, of only give their best deals to those who complain or threaten to leave, that based on this alone, I am back to seriously considering Internet via TimeWarner.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM

24 posts, read 91,771 times
ALL and I mean ALL television signals come from a satellite. whether it's cable or a dish on your house. The hard rain outage thing is a myth or an improperly installed dish. I was a dish installer in Denver and the denver foothills for years and there were rarely any outages. once in a great while during a nasty blizzard there would be digital noise and some slight break-up in the picture. IMO satellite is the best deal and most bundles end up casting way more after the fact, because once you're out of the initial deal you are paying full pop for all the services. I'd say go with the best final cost and stay away form the BS gimmicks most cable companys have compare out of new subscriber costs. It never ceases to amaze me that people don't under stand that cable companies cost more because they have to pay back the cities and counties for having their cable installer along with public utility lines. Now satellite internet is truly a rip off since it's barely broadband speed and expensive as hell.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Quote:
I so dislike the practice, of only give their best deals to those who complain or threaten to leave, that based on this alone, I am back to seriously considering Internet via TimeWarner.
Time Warner does the same thing... they all do the same thing... my electric company does the same thing. Unfortunately, almost all providers of anything do the same thing for customer retention. Any company that offers initial sign-up deals to get you into their business does this so it's a matter of eventually settling on their final, no-promo price or being proactive every x-months and keeping your price as low as possible. At least AT&T doesn't have a contract where the others do (at least TWC has lately... don't they still?).

Old 07-13-2010, 07:00 AM

207 posts, read 858,943 times
TWC and ATT Uverse have packages and pricing for non-contract and contract. I think they both use the contract as a "price guarantee" for a fixed amount of months.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
timewarner does exactly the same thing if you threaten to go to satellite they will give you the new client deal.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:36 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourbound129 View Post
TWC and ATT Uverse have packages and pricing for non-contract and contract. I think they both use the contract as a "price guarantee" for a fixed amount of months.
I didn't know AT&T had any contract stuff (at least for Uverse) yet. Only agreement I know of is they won't give you the large rebate until you've paid for a couple of months.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
I opted out. Local stations in HD with outside antenna supplemented by Netflix. $12/month.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
Time Warner does the same thing... they all do the same thing... my electric company does the same thing. Unfortunately, almost all providers of anything do the same thing for customer retention. Any company that offers initial sign-up deals to get you into their business does this so it's a matter of eventually settling on their final, no-promo price or being proactive every x-months and keeping your price as low as possible. At least AT&T doesn't have a contract where the others do (at least TWC has lately... don't they still?).
TWC has not done this to me yet, although I have not been here for a full year yet. I have no minimum contract, just a locked in price for a year, I can cancel anytime.
I only get broadband, the apartment complex provides cable TV.

So I go with the longest price lock in I can get, or the best non-introductory price I can get.

So maybe I do go with Clear and a standard TV antenna.

Now that work will be right across the street, the connection reliability is less critical, and clear is showing up as "Best" for the address.
I am wondering if the complaints I read, related lack of reliability, were people in the areas that are not considered "Best" but are considered "Available".
This seems like the most portable plan as well.

Is the modem very large?
I am thinking that I can place the modem anywhere I can get electricity, in the coverage area, and it should work, even if I am in a different city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: