Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM

16 posts, read 33,293 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good persian cat breeder in the Austin area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
I can't. However, have you considered not going with a pure bred cat? Breeders are, more often than not, absolutely terrible. And so many cats are in shelters needing homes.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I can't. However, have you considered not going with a pure bred cat? Breeders are, more often than not, absolutely terrible. And so many cats are in shelters needing homes.
I know about people who are into pure bred cats. I was one of them. Over the years, we have had 2 red point Siamese, 1 tortie point Siamese, and one ruddy Abyssinian. I have never had a long haired cat (too hard to clean up after). But I can tell you what cat has been the healthiest and the best pet for us - the little tabbie we got from a cat rescue organization. Born in a lumber yard, no papers, but all heart. And she doesn't have all the health problems that some of our purebreds had. And she is very happy being an indoor cat. (I'm a bird lover, too.) So we are all for shelter cats. I do understand that not everyone is on my wave length. Jay is right, though. And you can find Persians or looks-like-a-Persian cats at a shelter. Of course, that won't work if you want to show a cat. But it works great if you just want a beautiful and loving companion.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Default Persian cats

We actually already have a persian whom we adore (we take really good care of her and she is no trouble to us at all!) and we are looking to get her a playmate of the same breed Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
I have purebreds (Somalis). The beauty of having a purebred is that should you ever need to rehome the cat or should something happen to you, it's simply easier to find a new home for a purebred than a shelter cat. Also, you have an idea of the cat's medical history, so you know what possible medical conditions can arise, given the cat's pedigree.

The trick to acquiring a healthy purebred is to go with a CFA- or TICA-registered cattery. This ensures quality control, a written contract and assurance that if you can no longer care for the cat, he/she is returned to the breeder. A partial list:

FBRL: Persian: Breeders (U.S. States N-P)

You can also find a good Persian cat breeder through CFA:

The Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA)

I'm partial to CFA breeders for personal reasons (all my kiddens are CFA registered, and I also show them almost exclusively in CFA). I feel they hold the bar the highest when it comes to breeding programs. Many breeders will transport out of state. I suggest looking at the CFA show rankings -- this will give you an idea of which catteries excel in the Gulf Shore Region. I wish I had personal recommendations, but I stick with Somalis.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Default Persian cats

Thank you for all of this helpful information!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM

108 posts, read 254,494 times
Does any one know a British Short Hair breeder? I want to have a short hair cat. Long hair cat is beautiful, but the hair is too hard to clean.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica.ee View Post
Does any one know a British Short Hair breeder? I want to have a short hair cat. Long hair cat is beautiful, but the hair is too hard to clean.
Click on the CFA link above. You'll be able to find a British SH breeder through CFA as well. Also, through TICA, although BSHs seem to be more popular in CFA. Just make sure that the breeder gives you a written contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: