Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 AM

355 posts, read 923,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
There's more running, kayaking, boating, jet-skiing, rowing, sailing, etc., than you can shake a stick at. Austin is an extremely fit town. Cool places to live do include downtown, but I would encourage you to live close to where you work, unless you want to spend hours commuting. You might prefer Clarksville, Tarrytown, SoCo, East Austin or Hyde Park over downtown; I lived there after I graduated college and again after my divorce, and it was really fun, but LOUD.

Weather is untenably hot three months out of the year: July, August and September. Otherwise, it's like the weather in Southern California, unless we have a hideous winter like we did this year.

Meeting people is difficult; I'm around your age, and the dating scene here isn't great, IMHO. I'm not interested in casual relationships or hook-ups. I really don't know why it's so hard to meet someone in Austin, but I've had better luck in other cities. Also, I don't want or intend to have children, so that narrows the choices down to, oh, three. Finding a man who's 40-ish who doesn't come with a premade family is almost impossible.
Like Southern California? Ha! If only that were true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM

16 posts, read 26,124 times
I am a Texas Ex- then moved to the midwest and could not wait to get back! However, my little hippie town sure has changed over the last 20 years! Now in my forties, I agree that there is a lot of stuff to do, especially outdoors, and a lot of familyfriendly free events as well as tons of bars & restaurants. But I think it is a "young" town- maybe because a lot of people from the west coast have moved here, maybe b/c it is such a strong college town. I have been back a year, get out all the time, and everyone is very friendly. But I have only made a handful of what I would consider "close friends" so far. And if it gives you any idea of the 'dating scene', I am an attractive gal with a good figure and have not been on a date yet here. ALthough I don't subscribe to the internet dating sites or any of that. I also have had a hard time finding work- even with 2 degrees- and, sadly, I suspect it has to do my age. So it is good you have your own business- it is not fun trying to start over! Good luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:16 AM

11 posts, read 33,717 times
Default Cool Place To Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenick View Post
I am 40 year old professional, that runs a small tech company looking to possibly relocate. A few questions:

- is Austin a good place to meet new people? Not necessarily a wife or spouse but that would be ok too
- is Austin a good place for running/trail running, kayaking, cycling- I know lance lives therE.
- Are their cool places to live in town. I like loft space downtown perhaps.
- What is the weather like?

Any help is appreciated.
The coolest place I have found to live in downtown is The Austonian. You can get a large 1 bedroom on the 11th floor for only 628k. Gym is on the 56th floor and the pool and jacuzzi are on the 10th.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 AM

589 posts, read 1,814,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Hardly, I am 44, have lived in Austin for 9 years and have never had to go to church to get laid! If you are unattractive, maybe, but otherwise this is a pretty good casual sex town! Excellent tequila everywhere at reasonable prices probably helps.
Oh dear!

Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM

589 posts, read 1,814,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unzipper View Post
If you're a Christian and go to Church, yes. If you are not, no.
And you know this because....

Old 09-26-2010, 10:57 PM

979 posts, read 2,957,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerCondoLover View Post
The coolest place I have found to live in downtown is The Austonian. You can get a large 1 bedroom on the 11th floor for only 628k. Gym is on the 56th floor and the pool and jacuzzi are on the 10th.
That's no deal. You can get 15 floors higher in the Four Seasons or W Condos for that price without the idiotic name.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:51 PM

107 posts, read 285,809 times
Hell YES to all your questions! And regarding your weather question, the weather is gorgeous Today! But it can get hot and it can get cold. I love it here. My answers are quite generic, but truthful. You can meet people, its very active here and you will love it!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,189,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Honestly, the "dating scene" for this age range in Austin is almost entirely online at sites like match.com, so if you create an account on one of these sites with an Austin zipcode, you can get an idea of what it will be like when you are here.
I'd have to agree. Try OkCupid.com. I've met a few nice people there -- I'm 39 and have been dating guys in their late 30s/early 40s. Definitely a good way to meet people when you're too busy to get out and do all these other activities that people besides myself have time for.

Also join some Meetup groups. There is a group for ANY interest.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM

107 posts, read 285,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
You actually know people without baggage? Incredible!

Amazingly I do.... but I guess the baggage is relative to what you don't want in the bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin