Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Austin since 1985. Use to be, we knew where someone lived/worked by phone number. 441-xxxx was south Austin. 451-xxxx north/central. 327-xxxx westlake, 282-xxxx Manchaca, 288-xxxx Oak Hill, etc.

Additionally, if I needed to look up a mechanic in the yellow pages, I'd look for someone with a prefix close to mine because I knew they were located nearby.

When I had a real estate office in Manchaca, we had clients call us just because they saw the Manchaca Rd. address and the 282 phone number.

So, the question is, with all the newbies in Austin now, and with so many people using just cell phones (some keeping out of state numbers even after moving here) do any of you even take note anymore of the local phone number prifix, either personal numbers or business lines?

We just moved our office from Oak Hill to Westlake and we're wondering whether to keep the 301 number or change it to 327 or 328 so people can more easily identify with location, but I'm just not sure many people even take note of it anymore.

Thoughts, feedback?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,217 times
We have one of the typical old school Round Rock prefixes - asked if we wanted it when we moved in... that said, some of the prefixes are considered long distance, no? Lakeway, Marble Falls, etc? I know there are 512 numbers that we have to dial 512 with or else it will not connect and they're considered long distance.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:52 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I just wish that people would use 512 numbers!

I still notice businesses that have old local prefixes, 444 especially since I know that they are close to me and must have been in business a long while to have that number. And I tend to prefer them.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
I think it depends a lot on the type of business. I haven't touched a yellow pages in I don't know how many years, now it's all online with maps and the ability to focus on businesses that are close to you (if it matters). I would venture to guess that while there are some older folk who do make note of the prefix, that that number is ever dwindling. So if your business caters to the older crowd, then there may be value in keeping a prefix. However, if you are catering to the younger cell phone only no long distance charges crowd, then it won't matter a hill of beans what your prefix is. As for the "local long distance" issue, again this is becoming less and less of an issue as more folks move to cell phone usage. We do have a landline and I'll keep it until the day I die, however, I make the majority of calls on my cell phone, local or otherwise (unless I'm trying to not burn too many minutes).

Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I kept my NW Hills prefix when I moved to SW Austin... didn't want to bother changing it everywhere. No one has mentioned that it doesn't match our current location, so I suspect it's not that important anymore. Although I do still associate most 4XX prefixes with central Austin, 495 with campus area, etc.

When I'm confident enough I'll just port it to an IP phone company and do away with a land line completely... but for now, TWC digital phone is cheap enough.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Well, with certain VoIP,its ten digit dialling no matter where you are calling,We use the Ooma system (no phone bills after buying the equipment pretty sweet deal) and can do dialling with or with out area codes. I don't think it matters for prefixes these days. I know with the VoiP companies, they have always given us the choice of prefixes, lakeway prefix,georgetown, round rock could be anywhere but we are out in Leander sort of. I don't think of picking a business out buy a telephone number these days.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Interesting question. As a 'newbie' of 2+ years, I've only noticed a couple of prefi that I recognized...310-seems to be around Avery Ranch-at least for a few businesses. Our residential prefix is 906-and I don't believe I've run into it anywhere else. Other than the 310-, I've never related prefix to location.

Now, having been in Atlanta for over 25 years, I had a pretty good handle on a dozen or so prefi and their approximate area of town. THEN, Atlanta 'added' the 770 area code(primarily outside the perimeter) or actually dragged that area code closer to the city; THEN, they added(and switched) some of the existing 404 numbers over to the new 678 area code(usually keeping the same 7-digit number and thus the same prefix). Pretty much all heck broke loose when they figured ATL was headed north of 5 million population(and that every kid above the age of 6 would have a cell phone).

I wonder if you could hang on to the old prefix for the reasons you mentioned AND add a new number that would remind folks of the new location? Perhaps a dedicated line for 'something', just to show both prefi(and perhaps give the appearance of a multi-office firm).

Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
With many people moving just within Austin, not from out of state, and them keeping their phone numbers, I don't think the prefixes matter. I have Vonage, and when I set up a number for here, I wasn't asked what city so they could confirm a prefix. I think they're all mixed up... but I understand what you're saying because it was like that for a long time in the Dallas area and suburbs as well. Phone number portability has made it obsolete.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Kinda makes you long for the days of "MurrayHill5-2345"

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Kinda makes you long for the days of "MurrayHill5-2345"
Or BR-549
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin