Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 29,010 times

Advertisements

I think this is a job best left to the pros. Does anyone have recs for a company that has experience cleaning saltillo tile & floors? Any idea how much this will set a person back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,004,808 times
You're joking right? This is an area where people go to your door offering to do work for free! From what I gather it isn't going to cost you much if you know where to find your labor.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:27 AM

12 posts, read 29,010 times
LOL. Well, no one has come to my door offering to work for free & I obvioulsy don't know where to find it. Seriously though, my MIL gave me a hard time about the tile. She said it's different/harder to clean than ceramic or stone & we need to get someone who knows what they're doing or they'll strip the tile. I don't want to use harsh cleaners on the grout in fear of ruining the tile & since we have a bit of space to clean, I figure I'd save myself the pain & hire someone with experience at least the first time we give it a good scrub...

Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,962 times
Contact Glades (pronounced Gladys) at TexBest floors at Braker/Burnet (299-6718). They have done fabulous tile/stone work for me and I trust Glades completely. She can either 1) tell you what you need to use or 2) tell you who to use. Tell her Celeste said to call - she knows I, too, battle my grout! (But I'm going to attempt it myself, with an acid cleaner...)

Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Saltillo tile is softer then most ceramic, stone or porcelain tiles, we have some in our house so I know how easy it is to damage. I have heard it takes special cleaners to avoid damaging the surface and special sealers to do it right.

I'm looking for similar information. The previous owners sealed the saltillo tile in parts of the house and that has held up well, still has a shine to it and all we have cleaned it with in the last 6 years is a damp mop. But the tile in one small bedroom/office does not appear to have ever been sealed, the surface has no gloss to it and it gives off a chalky dust when we mop it. Some of the surface even seems to be spalling off where our desk chairs with plastic rollers wear on it.

I would definitely avoid using an acid cleaner on the grout, unless your friend Glades recommends it, as it could etch the tile.

I found some advice here Saltillo tile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Treatments for saltillo include: coating them with a surface sealant prior to grouting (as mentioned earlier), applying an admixture of linseed oil and paint thinner, applying natural stone colour enhancers, applying floor hardeners, applying shine, painting them with a water-based paint, coating them with wood stain, etc. As the tile is incredibly porous it will readily absorb just about any liquid. Please note any of these treatments may be used on the tile, however some of them such as penetrating sealeant, enhancers or linseed oil treatments penetrate into the tile and may affect the ability of later coatings to adhere to the tile. Ultra-durable, water-based polyurethane makes an excellent coating for adding slip resistance, beautiful appearance and protection from penetrating stains. Look for a polyurethane coating that has no VOCs for maximum environmental friendliness.

Saltillo tile may be sealed with a penetrating sealant or a film forming sealant (coating). A film forming sealant will leave a film on the surface of the tile. With multiple coats the film will build an even protective film and gloss that may repel water, oil, grease and efflorescence. A quality acrylic sealant, such as OLE Mexican Tile sealer from Glaze-n-Seal Products, should be used as it will be easy to apply, non-yellowing and long lasting. A quality acrylic floor polish can be applied over the sealed surface for added abrasion and wear protection.

The finished sealed floor should be maintained for best results. For routine cleaning use a neutral cleaner to damp mop the floor (never flood the sealed floor with water). Reapply the polish if areas begin to show wear over time. Maintaining the sealant/polish will greatly extend the life of the sealant and minimize repair needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin